Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone experience with brightvps.net?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone experience with brightvps.net?

tmn29atmn29a Member
edited May 2012 in General

Hi,

does anyone have any experience with those guys? I'm interested in their VPS 256-Plan but hesitate to order since they offer no refunds nor test-accounts.

http://brightvps.net/vps.html

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

What's wrong with OVH @liam?

• RandyRandy Member
    edited May 2012

what is wrong with OVH? Their site looks very decent :)

• What is interesting about this post is that brightvps had put up an offer a few days ago, then after a few comments on the thread removed the offer completely. Not sure why, but that doesn't look good for them imo.

Other than that, if your looking for a VPS and do not mind OVH, there are many better resources already listed on LEB/LET that are in the same price range, but have been around for a while. Not saying these guys are bad, have never used them, but if them removing their offer has any indication, maybe they were not ready for LEB/LET. At least if they had left the offer you could have asked this question on their thread.

Just my 2cents.

Thanked by 1tmn29a
  • gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2012

Whois protection and less than half a year old. That says all

Edit:
    Heres their real whois: http://whois.domaintools.com/securegateway.biz

Thanked by 1tmn29a
  • tmn29atmn29a Member

@TheLinuxBug said: Other than that, if your looking for a VPS and do not mind OVH, there are many better resources already listed on LEB/LET that are in the same price range, but have been around for a while.

Does anything specific come to mind?

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited May 2012

Well, as always, I would personally try to convince you to choose a provider on another network that has been around for a while, like Evorack, Newhost.ro, Bhost, etc.

If you have your mind set on a cheap OVH VPS then I would say the only provider I can personaly suggest would be MiniVPS ( This is their most recent ad on LEB ) as they have been around for a while and have been stable. I mention these guys cause I actually took the risk and purchased a year contract with them, and so far its been decent other than some intermittent DDOS to their servers. However that can not always be avoided, so I do not blame them for that.

If you search around LEB there are several more than have been listed on LEB in the past that are relatively reliable. Usually though I suggest you stay away from OVH as most of the time the hosts RENT their servers instead of owning them. If nothing else, I suggest you do not commit to longer than month-to-month contracts. (Or be understanding if they do walk away with your money at some point.)

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Looks like their WHMCS is down. Their site content looks like it was thrown together a little too fast although I really like the overall design.

• cosmicgatecosmicgate Member
    edited May 2012

when i first stumbled upon brightvps, their domain was just registered a couple days. They have really really cheap dedicated servers, i mean like dirt cheap kinda cheap and too good to be true. Since most the dedicated server link doesn't work at all i've never bothered with ordering one. Now that someone mentioned brightvps again, i would love a review of them if anyone have their service.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@cosmicgate said: i mean like dirt cheap kinda cheap and too good to be true.

It's likely resold kimsufi like everyone else with France based services.

It's very very rare that OVH resellers last past 6 months.

Francisco

• tmn29atmn29a Member

Thanks for the input guys, I guess I'll put my purchase on hold !

• OVH itself is very decent and will put many hosts in EU to shame. However, these 'hosts' using them are another story.

• Expand: OVH itself is very decent and will put many hosts in EU to shame. However, these 'hosts' using them are another story.

Well... OVH have their problems, IMO. But, if it's not a critical service (I use my Kimsufi for backups & usenet, for example), I think they're great.

• For the price paid, I think you get way, way more than you pay for.

• @Wintereise said: For the price paid, I think you get way, way more than you pay for.

Ehh... that is very true. But what I said still stands - I wouldn't use it for crucial/mission-critical stuff.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@liam said: @elliotj Terrible network, to me at least ;/

On Virgin Media here it's really fast, I don't see any reason why it should be bad for you then. The problem with OVH is as others have stated kiddies take advantage of it and never last..

• They're about just as fine as Hetzner for mission critical stuff. Mission critical does not mean you need to have transit routes to everything, peering may be slower, but it gets the job done fine.

There are very few networks in the EU as extensively peered as OVH (Now true for US too, I guess), so welp.

I've been using them to host business shit for years, zero issues. Though, staying away from Kimsufi might be an idea, support is rather slow on those.

• RevealReveal Member

Yes it was posted here a while back but was removed because I havn't got the requirements of 5 posts and staying active here to post in the marketplace/offers.

We did not know OVH were as terrible and we have moved to SingleHop which as a result has shown bigger improvements and reliability in not just customer support but T1 network as well.

• DimeCadmiumDimeCadmium Member
    edited June 2012

@Reveal said: We did not know OVH were as terrible

If you didn't know that, why on earth are you in the hosting business? I'm sorry but I expect someone in the hosting business to know their competitors, and even more to know their own host/datacenter/network/...

@Reveal said: T1 network as well.

"T1" is a very specific type of connection which I really hope you're not using ;) I'd recommend you don't use abbreviations which mean a completely different thing.

• RevealReveal Member

@DimeCadmium so you would expect know OVH's support staff without being a customer? You have to try the product to know more about their back end and support staff timings/replies.

I meant Tier 1, does that cheer you up a little bit?

• @Reveal said: @DimeCadmium so you would expect know OVH's support staff without being a customer?

Yes, I would, if you're in the hosting industry.

@Reveal said: You have to try the product to know more about their back end and support staff timings/replies.

There are these things called "reviews" that people post on "forums". Try looking at them. Ask friends. Ask people who post reviews. You need to do research before you start a business. Part of that research is finding what suppliers you're going to use. Part of finding suppliers is oftentimes (especially in the hosting industry) finding reviews other clients have made.