Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does anyone use OVH's cloud as backup?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does anyone use OVH's cloud as backup?

10p/GB for storage and retrieval

Is this the best solution for backup if I will have <5GB data to backup

I could use Dropbox or Box but it doesn't support SCP does it?

Comments

• ProfforgProfforg Member
    edited May 2014

You should be really skilled and interested to use it. They have rather hard system. Much harder than other simple cloud storage services. I was testing their Cloud Storage service during Beta. It was nice to see how it goes, but so hard and customized for them, that i decide to not use it ever.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • nstormnstorm Member

said: I could use Dropbox or Box but it doesn't support SCP does it?

You can use cadaver (or curl) for WebDAV transfers with them.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • @Profforg said:
    You should be really skilled and interested to use it. They have rather hard system. Much harder than other simple cloud storage services. I was testing their Cloud Storage service during Beta. It was nice to see how it goes, but so hard and customized for them, that i decide to not use it ever.

What makes it so more difficult?

@nstorm said:
    You can use cadaver (or curl) for WebDAV transfers with them.

I just looked at Dropbox and it's actually quite expensive.

Do you know if the Prometeus ftp-n-web backup allows SCP transfer?

• hostnoob said: What makes it so more difficult?

The most uncommon for me is the one they call "Session". When you log-in with SCP, upload some files, and then re-log-in - you'll not see any files. This is because you need to do 'session restore' which is a crazy process which require deep learning into their system.

P.S. I am talking about Public Cloud Archives.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • nstormnstorm Member
    edited May 2014

said: Is this the best solution for backup if I will have <5GB data to backup

hostnoob said: I just looked at Dropbox and it's actually quite expensive.

I think you can get a free account with 5Gb+ space on both box.com and dropbox.com. At least with box.com.
    Also check Google Drive, MS Skydrive, Yandex Disk, etc.

The biggest problem with box.com is 250 Mb file limit. But if you're using it for backup purposes this can be solved with splitting bigger files in chunks.

I'm using a free 50 Gb box.com account for my backups with curl upload script which automatically splits files larger than 250 Mb. I've even posted it here in tutorial section. Works pretty fine for me. It's not a single point of backups, you can always use both box.com and dropbox for redundant storage for example.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • rguru6rguru6 Member

Nope, never used cloud as a backup service.

But I used the free 100GB FTP backup service OVH gives when you rent a server with them (Soyoustart, OVH's middle range server provider, gives it too).

I used it and I found it a very fast and reliable service.

The only limitation was that only that dedicated server could access the FTP.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

hostnoob said: Do you know if the Prometeus ftp-n-web backup allows SCP transfer?

Yes, you need to open a ticket though, ssh is not automatically enabled.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • trexostrexos Member

@rguru6 said:
    The only limitation was that only that dedicated server could access the FTP.

Pretty stupid if your dedicated is down and you wont to access your backups xd but its for free though

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • rguru6rguru6 Member

@trexos said:
    Pretty stupid if your dedicated is down and you wont to access your backups xd but its for free though

True, that's what I said to their support. What they do, though, is to open access to the FTP to another server if you open a ticket

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Thanks guys, I think I will end up going with Prometeus soon

• boerndboernd Member
    edited May 2014

@rguru6 said:
    True, that's what I said to their support. What they do, though, is to open access to the FTP to another server if you open a ticket

You can also do this using their API.