Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone tried 1H Hive? An alternative to cloudlinux?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone tried 1H Hive? An alternative to cloudlinux?

PremiumNPremiumN Member
edited May 2014 in General

Has anyone tried http://www.1h.com/products/hive - apparently its an alternative to cloudlinux and can be used on OpenVZ VPS's.

According to their billing page hive for VPS is $10.00/mo and for dedi's its $14.00/mo

Comments

• jhjh Member

It's not as good as CloudLinux, but it's a bit cheaper and it works on OVZ.

• @jhadley said:
    It's not as good as CloudLinux, but it's a bit cheaper and it works on OVZ.

Thanks! im going to try it out

• jhadley said: It's not as good as CloudLinux

yesh

jhadley said: but it's a bit cheaper

no, CL licenses can be purchased @ 10 monthly

jhadley said: and it works on OVZ

yesh

• This is an early beta, so be careful testing it. It might cause server crashes

I wouldnt want to risk it...

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

That's interesting. It orgins from Bulgaria. Their office is actually not far away from my apartment.

• haryhary Member

@PremiumN said:
    I wouldnt want to risk it...

Yes, i have plan to test it in this week

• PremiumNPremiumN Member
    edited May 2014

They provide the first 30 days free of charge and their support is quick too. I got a reply within 3 minutes.

• I fail to see what's so special about both CloudLinux and H1. Aren't they just charging for Linux? :P

• @0xdragon said:
    I fail to see what's so special about both CloudLinux and H1. Aren't they just charging for Linux? :P

Prevents individual users from eating lots of resources and thus taking down the server...

• PremiumN said: Prevents individual users from eating lots of resources and thus taking down the server...

Linux itself already has the capability to prevent deadlocks.

Cloudlinux is to restrict or limit resource usage of individual users.

Thanked by 10xdragon
  • Just an update, i've installed hive and its just like cloudlinux and works perfect.

Here are the settings we can change:

• lsb_release_alsb_release_a Member
    edited December 2014

Hi,

I used 1h products (all of them) for about 2 years on a couple of different servers, running Debian, and CentOS.

We ended up by switching over to CloudLinux.

After i tried, and some of our customers tried 1h products, we came to the conclusion it doesn't bring that much, and do not worth it's price at all, even if it's very cheap. You'll be better to go with CloudLinux.

1h still deliver a very old version of Apache. I invite your to also check at their changelog : http://docs.1h.com/Hive-ChangeLog ...the last update was in 2011. They only did a couple of updates during the last few years, and we found a lot old versions of some modules i would no longer use in production.

This software is making me affraid now. I wouldn't feel secure to install it somewhere again. They had a very good start, though. It was looking good at first. ...but we saw lot's of bug they don't / won't fix.

If you will be MUCH better to go with CloudLinux. Support will be better, security will be improved for real, and software will be up to date, and your websites will be happier :)

I invite you to see this page : https://blog.rack911.com/hosting-control-panels/cloudlinux-vs-betterlinux-security-default-settings/ What you will get with 1h products is barely the same as BetterLinux (or even less than BetterLinux have to provide http://www.betterlinux.com/#&panel1-4 ). BetterLinux is free until january 2015 btw ;)

Also : if you need to get support from cPanel, using 1h products will be a nightmare, cause cPanel support know about all the problems you may get by using this software, and they will require you to uninstall it each time you require support... ...but wait : you can't really uninstall it, cause once you have some accounts configured to use Hive, if you uninstall, then your visitors will be able to DOWNLOAD all php files. You'll have to rebuild Apache using easyapache, and if it work, then you will be able to require some support to cPanel.

Nobody is talking about 1h products on the internet, there are reasons for this (do some search!). Peoples are going with CloudLinux.

Maybe you could consider an Apache Jailed with cPanel. It's pretty easy to setup, and won't cost anything. You won't lost your cPanel support privileges, and you'll get better security, cause your softwares will always be up to date (as long as you rebuild Apache, maybe at least once a week).

Thank you for reading :)

Cheers!

Thanked by 1PremiumN
  • We had so many problems with Hive and it ended up being a nightmare. It would break a lot and we'd end up having to reconfigure things. Also their support is subpar. One of their techs rendered a server unusable a couple of times and our complaints were not listened to.

This is why we switch to CloudLinux.

• lsb_release_alsb_release_a Member
    edited December 2014

@PremiumN said:
    Just an update, i've installed hive and its just like cloudlinux and works perfect.

Here are the settings we can change:

Yup, it may be working. But are you really feeling more secure by using Apache 2.1?

The current version of Apache is 2.5.

Instead, maybe you could just re-compile apache with the cPanel jail :)

• @lsb_release_a

FYI, i am no longer using 1H. I switched to cloudlinux and i can confirm its more effective.

• @DalekOfSkaro said:
    We had so many problems with Hive and it ended up being a nightmare. It would break a lot and we'd end up having to reconfigure things. Also their support is subpar. One of their techs rendered a server unusable a couple of times and our complaints were not listened to.

This is why we switch to CloudLinux.

And try to discuss with those guys about those problems. They get rude right away.

Bad idea imho :)

• It's not an alternative to CloudLinux. See this :

@PremiumN said:
    lsb_release_a

FYI, i am no longer using 1H. I switched to cloudlinux and i can confirm its more effective.

Good move :)

• lsb_release_a said: And try to discuss with those guys about those problems. They get rude right away.

Who? The 1H guys?

• Thi killed my InterWorx test server. So.. cloudlinux all the way. You could get cloudlinux from 10 USD. Same price i think., :)

Thanked by 1DalekOfSkaro
  • ZweiTiger said: Thi killed my InterWorx test server. So.. cloudlinux all the way. You could get cloudlinux from 10 USD. Same price i think., :)

CloudLinux FTW! Their support is excellent even if you don't have your license with them directly.