Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does a "balanced" profile slow down my SSD?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why does a "balanced" profile slow down my SSD?

hostnoobhostnoob Member
edited May 2014 in Help

When I enable the high performance Windows profile, my SSD reads at 260MB/s

When I use the balanced profile (even though it's plugged in to the mains) it only reads at 70MB/s max.

This is my home laptop, not a VPS or anything.

Edit: when I switch to power saver mode, it reads at 130MB/s

WTF o.O

Comments

• smibasmiba Member
    edited May 2014

I guess your CPU can't handle the dataflow fast enough.. Try resetting the profiles to default as the settings may have changed incorrectly.

• @smiba said:
    I guess your CPU can't handle the dataflow fast enough.. Try resetting the profiles to default as the settings may have changed incorrectly.

I checked some settings like CPU management, etc.. and it still didn't help.

I did notice one thing though, if I open the file it starts reading at 70MB/s. if I then cancel the check, and open the file back up, it reads at 370MB/s the entire time.

• smibasmiba Member

What software do you use to get those numbers?

• Possibly some sort of Link State Power Management setting?

• RalliasRallias Member

hostnoob said: I did notice one thing though, if I open the file it starts reading at 70MB/s. if I then cancel the check, and open the file back up, it reads at 370MB/s the entire time.

Nobody ever gave you the cache ram lecture?

• @smiba said:
    What software do you use to get those numbers?

abgx360

@Magiobiwan said:
    Possibly some sort of Link State Power Management setting?

after some further research it doesn't seem related to the power profile

@Rallias said:
    Nobody ever gave you the cache ram lecture?

I thought maybe it was cached since I'd opened it before, but the entire file reads at 370MB/s not just the 2-3% it had read when I cancelled it and started the test again (I would assume it would go 370MB/s for the first part of the file which was cached and then slow down to 70MB/s again)

It seems like starting the check, cancelling it and opening it again unlocks the full read speed of the SSD for some reason.

• smibasmiba Member

I guess its a combination of both disk cache and system cache, Try it again with 16GB or more (Depending on your ram)