Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH?

2»

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Aldryic said: @AsadHaider said: Can't see why everyone hates OVH, my experience with them has actually been pretty good.

OVH hosts deadpool a lot simply because people use it as a way to cash out. OVH is one of the few hosts around (only one that I honestly can name) that gives the first month free, including your addons. This means that some "VPS hosts" pick up some boxes for $0 down minus maybe a business reg for $100 in the UK. They then load the boxes out and don't pay anything down, running off with a couple grand.

UptimeVPS is the most obvious and the majority of us were yelling that it was going to happen. Tons of people got suckered in on the $45/y 4GB plan and only got, at best, a month out of it.

The other issue is OVH is usually the #1 host used for outbound flood attacks. I know before we had our autonull & filtered IP's in place I'd snag tcpdump's to send reports to hosts and I always had something like 50% OVH boxes.

If OVH put in rate limits on UDP like softlayer does then they wouldn't be used nearly as much. But when you can get a 10Gbit burstable port for cheap, it makes them a huge target for booter kids.

Francisco

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • RandyRandy Member

i am so confused. OVH.COM currency is UK Pound or Euro? it has the same sign..

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

@Randy

.COM uses Euro (€)
    .CO.UK uses Pound Sterling (£)

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited May 2012

I'm not quite sure if OVH == Cheap..

HG-2012 (random configuration) => Setup Fee : 2894 euro. Monthly : 384 euro

:P

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Francisco said: If OVH put in rate limits on UDP like softlayer does

They do, 5Mbit per thread/connection.

• rds100rds100 Member

Hmm, i wonder how these rate limits work or if they work at all, i have seen full gigabit udp streams from ovh address space.

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: Hmm, i wonder how these rate limits work or if they work at all, i have seen full gigabit udp streams from ovh address space.

Me too. The last a few hours ago :-(

• rds100rds100 Member

@prometeus maybe they limit only to outside of Europe (i.e. not to peers).

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@rds100 said: maybe they limit only to outside of Europe (i.e. not to peers).

You should be right, they are at MIX so they don't do any bw control there...