Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ZazoomVPS being sold? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ZazoomVPS being sold?

Comments

• Someone hacked it.

• I accepted Google Checkout.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

How do I get the money out of my phone? This is just dumb, you don't transfer money via SMS, you link accounts, even paypal, to your phone, and sms it.

Maybe your comment is based on the fact that the cellphone network in the US is still in the 80ies. In Europe the cellphone is regularly used for payment. You send an SMS to a premium number which then transfers the money to your bank-account, you buy tickets for public transport via cellphone, you may have your ticket for concerts on cellphone, you buy food via cellphone, you buy the tickets for planes via cellphone, you even buy stamps for the snailmail via cellphone. Creditcards are so 80ies, the cellphone is used for online banking as it ensures that you have access to the transactions and you can check the money on your account instantly. And all this without any snappy App but simply via SMS.

• I know all these things via cell phone are possible, but given the state of security with them i cant say it fills me with confidence.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Which state of security concerns you using a mobile phone that only you have access to? Especially in contrast to using a credircard where anybody having your cc# can bill you in advance?

• What if someone steals your cell phone? What if you lose your cell phone? What if- I agree with Deor's comment. There are lots of possibilities that things may go wrong with cell phones.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

But these incidents are not specific to a cellphone. What if someone steals your CC, what if someone gets your paypal-password? What if someone robs your purse? What if someone copies your signature?

Additionally, due to EU regulations there are relatively strict rules on payments via cellphone. The provider has to prove that you initiated the transaction. If he can't you're not liable for paying anything. Unlike i.e. with CC payments where the security is up to you personally.

Another difference is: with paypal you're up to the goodwill of the private company handling disputes. With cellphone-payment you have state regulations as your backup.

• @kylix Yes, but performing chargebacks are a lot easier on a Credit card and Paypal.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

@boltersdriver: But you are dependent on the goodwill of the private company. Chargebacks on paypal only work if the merchant has funds in his account. How does a chargeback on CC help if my bank-account linked to the CC is already empty because of transactions and I can't pay other things? Depending on the bank CC are charged 4-6 weeks later. You never really know what your account is atm. Chargebacks via CC may take some time.

Chargebacks on cellphone payment is simply done by refusing to pay the bill. The provider then has to prove the payment was initiated by you.

Maybe it depends on the country we are originating from. But chargebacks via cellphone (in EU) are quite simple and usual whereas creditcard chargebacks normally are dealt only by going to the bank locally in most times to verify that you are the right person or again via phone and special codes.

I might maybe add, that it would be also nice to have methods of "stateless" payment like Paysafecard.

• kylix said: Maybe your comment is based on the fact that the cellphone network in the US is still in the 80ies. In Europe the cellphone is regularly used for payment. You send an SMS to a premium number which then transfers the money to your bank-account, you buy tickets for public transport via cellphone, you may have your ticket for concerts on cellphone, you buy food via cellphone, you buy the tickets for planes via cellphone, you even buy stamps for the snailmail via cellphone. Creditcards are so 80ies, the cellphone is used for online banking as it ensures that you have access to the transactions and you can check the money on your account instantly. And all this without any snappy App but simply via SMS.

http://www.google.com/wallet/?

• @justinb: So how does that work with the 80% of people not owning a Smartphone with a big-screen display?

• @kylix: It doesn't matter if the merchants has funds in his account. You will still get the money no matter what.

• It doesn't matter if the merchants has funds in his account. You will still get the money no matter what.

@boltersdriver: You are talking about CC chargebacks, right? Because Paypal buyers protection doesn't apply because of non-tangible property and because Paypal refund only works if the merchant still has money on his account.

• kylix said: @justinb: So how does that work with the 80% of people not owning a Smartphone with a big-screen display?

Um, you buy one. Like real patriotic americans that want to support the economy.

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited September 2011

If your on Pay as You go here, it comes out your balance, meaning effectively your mobile is like a mobile PayPal.

The maximum i think you can charge is around £30

Google Wallet is restricted to one country, one phone and one carrier, and only on certain phones that have a chip.

SMS payment works on ANY GSM Phone and Carrier.

There's no need for 4G currently in Europe, since all the 3G networks are solidly built, and HSPDA 7Mbps is good enough for even playing games.

Over here in most carparks, you can buy a ticket via SMS or Phone and comes on your phone bill.

Thanked by 1kylix
  • Google Wallet is restricted to one country, one phone and one carrier

>

SMS payment works on ANY GSM Phone and Carrier.

Thanks @Daniel, that's what I wanted to work out.

• Hmm, you're talking about the providers like MobileF1rst , PayGol and MobiPay? They're a great idea, but in most countries ( not sure about Europe) , the problem with mobile phone theft is still there.

• Daniel said: There's no need for 4G currently in Europe, since all the 3G networks are solidly built, and HSPDA 7Mbps is good enough for even playing games.

There is no 4G in the US. AT&T sued the standards committee repeatedly or w/e to drop the definition of 4G from 100Mbps to something like 1Mbps.

• luis123456luis123456 Member
    edited September 2011

Boltersdriveer said: Hmm, you're talking about the providers like MobileF1rst , PayGol and MobiPay? They're a great idea, but in most countries ( not sure about Europe) , the problem with mobile phone theft is still there.

It can be done with credit cards, or it can be hacked aswell.

Meaning: Mobile phones are as secure as credit cards. It's in your posession and only you get to pick what to do with your money. It isn't like a public pc IMHO.

• luis123456 said: Meaning: Mobile phones are as secure as credit cards. It's in your posession and only you get to pick what to do with your money. It isn't like a public pc IMHO.

Well yes, most mobile phone OSs have a pin code option, GSM SIM Cards also have the function built in too. if the phone supports it.

• justinb said: There is no 4G in the US. AT&T sued the standards committee repeatedly or w/e to drop the definition of 4G from 100Mbps to something like 1Mbps.

Over here, for a connection speed to be classed as "3G", it has to surpass 1.5mbps or something.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Mobile phones are as secure as credit cards.

The only difference is that if you happen to initiate a payment with a CC the receiver can also initiate another payment without your agreement. This is not possible with the cellphone-payment methods available.

Over here, for a connection speed to be classed as "3G", it has to surpass 1.5mbps or something.

Isn't 3G another term for UMTS, which is 384kbit/s and up?

• Isn't 3G another term for UMTS, which is 384kbit/s and up?

Agree

• kylix said: Isn't 3G another term for UMTS, which is 384kbit/s and up?

With HSPDA installed, its like 6.9Mbps down and the same up,

• Would love to see a reference on the AT&T lawsuits. A quick scan doesn't show anything reported:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4g

Not doubting you. Just curious.

• drmike said: Not doubting you. Just curious.

That was just some random comment I remember hearing on dslr, if it's unsourced i'll just edit it out

Thanked by 1drmike
  • Couldn't find anything about a lawsuit,

Yup founds lots about that.

Thanks though.

• Daniel said: Two routes, Geology and ....

wow, i didn't know if i have a geologist friend here. :P but i'm not finish that, perhaps you can do better than me. :D good luck daniel.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I love how this discussion got derailed to badly.