Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS6.NET downtime on ch-22
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS6.NET downtime on ch-22

MrDOSMrDOS Member
edited May 2012 in General

Haven't seen a thread about this elsewhere, so I thought I'd start one.

Got an e-mail from VPS6.NET yesterday at 16:48 EST:

To all of our OpenVZ clients hosted on Chicago host server CH22:

>

At approximately 3 PM CDT (Central Daylight Time), this host server crashed due to a disk failure in its RAID array.

>

We are working as quickly as possible to restore the server, and hope to have it online within 1-2 hours. No data loss will result from crash.

>

Please bear with us while we resolve this, and please feel free to reply directly to this email with any questions or concerns.

Of course, as luck would have it, both my VPS6.NET boxen are on that node.

Then, another e-mail came through last night, at 22:17 EST:

To all of our OpenVZ clients hosted on Chicago host server CH22:

>

We regret to inform that the maintenance following this server's disk failure has taken longer than expected to complete, as we wait for the replacement hardware to be tested and deployed.

>

It is expected that the maintenance will proceed for another 4-8 hours. Please know that the prognosis has not changed; there will NOT be data loss as a result of the maintenance!

>

We appreciate your patience throughout this. Please continue to bear with us as we work towards a resolution!

Having not heard anything from @vps6net in just over 25 hours (17-21 hours longer than expected), I was just curious if there was any news, or if there's an ongoing discussion elsewhere that I haven't noticed (I'm too lazy to go digging myself).

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2012

It doesn't look as though many outspoken people were on it. I'm on it with something of low priority, but as time goes by the importance increases as even low priority is a priority. Got backups, kloxo doesn't like them, gonna be a fun night. I hadn't intended to use a young provider for even small content, but when this little favor came up for someone I went ahead, waiting for a buyvm to replace it (shouldn't have cancelled those lol), but picked up a urpad to hold it now.

Guess its a good thing I didn't resell any, not that refunds hurt, just hate downtime on anything. Lesson learned.

• yomeroyomero Member

The node is completely down? Or just your box?
    Maybe you can ask them :P

The node is completely down since 3pm central on Friday.

• yomeroyomero Member

Damn....
    Is the start of the end? :S
    Probably you may ask via ticket?

edited May 2012

This is what I got about 1pm today:

Hi Jarland,

Right now we are waiting for a final piece of replacement hardware to arrive on-site, as we unfortunately do not have a spare server in Chicago that can accommodate this disk array. We are all very frustrated with the amount of time it has taken to complete this, but we are certain it will be done within a reasonable timeframe this afternoon. I apologize again for the inconvenience!

• OK! Another cheap VPS Selling or Reseller company started gone gone!
    I wish best of luck.

• KairusKairus Member

@iwebhostu said: OK! Another cheap VPS Selling or Reseller company started gone gone!

I wish best of luck.

Uh what?

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • vps6netvps6net Member
    edited May 2012

@MrDOS said: Having not heard anything from @vps6net in just over 25 hours (17-21 hours longer than expected), I was just curious if there was any news, or if there's an ongoing discussion elsewhere that I haven't noticed (I'm too lazy to go digging myself).

Hi,

Have you opened a ticket with technical support requesting an update? This will always be the best way to get in touch with us. Please also feel free to contact me directly at jh[at]vps6.net.

@iwebhostu said: OK! Another cheap VPS Selling or Reseller company started gone gone!

I wish best of luck.

We won't be going anywhere. Best of luck to you, as well!

Thanked by 1MrDOS
    edited May 2012

I don't see any indication from this that they're in trouble. Poorly executed recovery in this case no doubt, but I'd be surprised if they didn't agree. I'm not entirely sure how a faulty drive can take so long though, but if I counted the number of times I've had to troubleshoot a RAID60 with 16 SAS drives, I'd come up with a big zero, hardly making me an expert. Perhaps Jeremy could explain :)

• VictorVictor Member

@Jack said: @vps6net id ignore him , his a retard hosting his WHMCS on Hostgator.

I am pretty sure most hosts host their main site on a different provider/server to ensure that customers can still reach them even when their own servers are down..but yea, I agree, he should just be ignored.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • @iwebhostu

Seriously, wtf is that slider image about..

"I have you inside me, do you care for me?"

What?

• VictorVictor Member

@Jack said: @Victor Yes I agree another server / network to there clients but a shared server with 1000's of sites?

Well, it's not that uncommon tbh, I've seen other reputable hosts host their main site with big shared hosts similar to HostGator before, I mean, at least you know your site won't just disappear the next day. But I guess a separate server that you have full control of would be more secure.

• flyfly Member

i think you should all migrate your main sites to linode. just sayin

• Talking about LUCK - Is there anyone get there service and data back chance by Luck? That's not clear yet.

edited May 2012

I just checked and while I've not heard anything further, the vps is back online. Interestingly it says 3.7GB used when it was a little over 6, but oh well, not gonna sort through it, already restored backup and propagated elsewhere.

• vps6netvps6net Member

@jarland said: I just checked and while I've not heard anything further, the vps is back online. Interestingly it says 3.7GB used when it was a little over 6, but oh well, not gonna sort through it, already restored backup and propagated elsewhere.

Jarland,

You should be seeing absolutely no data loss as a result of the outage. If anything looks amiss to you, please feel free to open a ticket with Tech Support.

@iwebhostu said: Talking about LUCK - Is there anyone get there service and data back chance by Luck? That's not clear yet.

I apologize if this seems rude, but are you a client at VPS6.NET? If not, have you ever had any relationship with VPS6.NET or its services?

• iwebhostu is just a defaming troll, ignore him.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

@vps6net, more of an FYI than a plea for help -- nothing of value lost and all that -- but I did end up losing some stuff that had only been put on my VPS about half an hour before it went offline.

• VPS6 not pay server. This Donn Fry do all time then say disk broke

Well for what it's worth they're back online and running great.