Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IP Question
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IP Question

andreblueandreblue Member

Is there anything that could cause a ip(ipv4) to stop allowing connections to a vps just stop working? It is a KVM server with a fresh install of debian 7. HAve ran upgrade and update from apt-get. It can be connected thru a VNC thru solus Vm panel.

Comments

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Not really an IP per se, but can have a lot of other causes, for example being blocked at provider or upstream level (nullrouted), firewall issues, TCP/IP stack issues, many things...

• PwnerPwner Member

Sounds more like a firewall or networking related issue. Best solution is to contact your host about it.

• Pwner said: Sounds more like a firewall or networking related issue. Best solution is to contact your host about it.

I am still waiting on a reply. I could not reach it thru my home connection or thru http://lg.he.net/ to no connection. From what i got as a test from a online ipv6 test.
    2607:5300:60:419e:5555:5555:f5e6:501d which is one of mine is unable to be pinged.

• PwnerPwner Member

@andreblue Most likely a networking error, just have your host handle it. If you sent them a ticket, then wait patiently, it might take up to a day depending on your host. Whatever you do, don't flip out and chargeback or do anything drastic so soon.

• Pwner said: @andreblue Most likely a networking error, just have your host handle it. If you sent them a ticket, then wait patiently, it might take up to a day depending on your host. Whatever you do, don't flip out and chargeback or do anything drastic so soon.

I give them due time. I just wanted to get a insight of what i can do. This is the first reason to open my ticket with them. The only way i do a charge back is if they can figure something out and i lost out on a ton of time of the month. At most as of the moment i would only be out about 5$

• Okay so now for some reason it started working for about an hour apon which it stopped while i was still connected to it. Next thing i did was a reinstall as whom i am with stated nothing seems to be happening and the vps may be blocking my connection.
    My trace so far:
    http://andreblue.com/sharex/uploaded/2014-05-23_00:36:01.png

• rguru6rguru6 Member

Uhm, if connectivity goes and comes back at once, supposing your box is configured properly, sounds like a problem of networking around your box.
    What about a complete diagnosis, usually something like the following stuff.
    Is the box reachable from other IPs?
    Is the box connected to the net all the time (log the connectivity from inside the box into a file so you can examine it afterwards)?
    With traceroute how far does your hop go? Can you reach the box or do you stop right before?
    All these tests should be done with and without the problem so you can compare results.

• I tested it from my home, another server in a different location and also thru lg.he.net and all drop at the same point from what I saw.

• rguru6rguru6 Member

And what does the unreachable box log during the down of connectivity?

Does it lose connection to the network?

Logging from inside the box is a good idea... yea, opening a ticket to support is a good idea, too :- ) And if you add all your logging info in the ticket then support will be happier (and maybe faster!)