Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quest for the Ultimate LEB script - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Quest for the Ultimate LEB script

2»

Comments

• vahevahe Member

Also, check out this: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2394/vps-setup-script-minimal
    It's dirty code with no error checking but works for me. You can remove the line where it installs fail2ban. More info on github. I first run the above, then TigersWay's script to install the goodies.

Thanked by 1TigersWay
  • manmamanma Member

@TigersWay said: I am anyway trying to get my head around a way to document my scripts

My only real issue is the dropbear thing. I can't find ANY information on how to use it on the net.

By the way, aside from the dropbear thing, my entire VPS was set up using your script, and its running just fine :)

Thanked by 1TigersWay
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

then why not switch to openssh?

• It's dirty code with no error checking but works for me. You can remove the line where it installs fail2ban. More info on github. I first run the above, then TigersWay's script to install the goodies.

"Add new user" & "iptables" functions are on my roadmap, but still provoke disagreements among users I know.

@manma said: My only real issue is the dropbear thing. I can't find ANY information on how to use it on the net.

dropbear page
    Why use dropbear? Because it's smaller in memory than openssh and because it works well behind xinetd.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

@vahe said: You can remove the line where it installs fail2ban

Why remove fail2ban?

• vahevahe Member
    edited May 2012

@djvdorp said: Why remove fail2ban?

It uses a lot of memory. Also all the ports are blocked with my script except the custom port you setup for openssh (also port 80 and 443 is open), in addition, only public key authentication enabled and root login is disabled.

Edit: clarified on open ports

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • zserozsero Member

I've been trying to combine the php optimised parts from Simplyfast's script with maxexcloo 's minstall script. What is your opinion about including the following configuration options:

cat > /etc/php5/conf.d/apc.ini <<END [APC] extension=apc.so apc.enabled=1 apc.shm_segments=1 apc.shm_size=16 apc.ttl=7200 apc.user_ttl=7200 apc.num_files_hint=1024 apc.mmap_file_mask=/tmp/apc.XXXXXX apc.max_file_size = 1M apc.post_max_size = 1000M apc.upload_max_filesize = 1000M apc.enable_cli=0 apc.rfc1867=0 END

cat > /etc/php5/conf.d/suhosin.ini <<END ; configuration for php suhosin module extension=suhosin.so suhosin.executor.include.whitelist="phar" suhosin.request.max_vars = 2048 suhosin.post.max_vars = 2048 suhosin.request.max_array_index_length = 256 suhosin.post.max_array_index_length = 256 suhosin.request.max_totalname_length = 8192 suhosin.post.max_totalname_length = 8192 suhosin.sql.bailout_on_error = Off END

if [ -f /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini ] then sed -i \ "s/upload_max_filesize = 2M/upload_max_filesize = 200M/" \ /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini sed -i \ "s/post_max_size = 8M/post_max_size = 200M/" \ /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini sed -i \ "s/memory_limit = 128M/memory_limit = 96M/" \ /etc/php5/fpm/php.ini fi

Also,
    php5-suhosin, php5-intl, php-gettext are not in Simplyfast's install while "siege", is not in maxexcloo's. Should I include all of them?

• @zsero said: @maxecloo, just a few questions:

1. Just a recommendation: can you make install-ssh to ask if I would like to install OpenSSH or Dropbear, and then starts install-openssh or install-dropbox, to avoid situations like I've experienced?
    2. Do you know any Wordpress install script, what is compatible with your host structure?
    3. What do I need to modify to redirect to non-www instead of www?

I'm doing some work on Minstall and these suggestions have been taken onboard!

• zserozsero Member

Hi,

I'm comparing Minstall and tuxlite (kind of line by line), and although most of the differences are easy to understand, I have a few questions I don't understand:

Tuxlite has the following line, what is not in Minstall for php-fpm:

Change to socket connection for better performance

sed -i 's/^listen =.*/listen = \/var\/run\/php5-fpm-www-data.sock/' $php_fpm_conf

Is this needed? I thought nginx only works on sockets! Also, for me the file var/run/php5-fpm-www-data.sock doesn't exists. Is it something for Apache?

OK, next one, also not present in Minstall:

sed -i 's/^disable_functions.*/disable_functions = exec,system,passthru,shell_exec,escapeshellarg,escapeshellcmd,proc_close,proc_open,dl,popen,show_source/' $php_ini_dir

Isn't this a bit too strong? Do you recommend setting this?

Also, php5-suhosin is installed once Minstall completes, but there is no reference for that. Is it included in dotdeb repro as a dependency?

• yomeroyomero Member

@zsero said: I thought nginx only works on sockets!

It can use both

@zsero said: Isn't this a bit too strong? Do you recommend setting this?

It depends. Maybe for shared hosting is recommended, otherwise you will allow to use shell commands and so.

@zsero said: Also, php5-suhosin is installed once Minstall completes, but there is no reference for that. Is it included in dotdeb repro as a dependency?

For 5.3 it is.

Thanked by 1zsero
  • zserozsero Member

@yomero said: It can use both

OK, but is it needed? What is the default? Also, isn't it a problem that I don't see the file/link in /var/run?

• yomeroyomero Member

@zsero said: Also, isn't it a problem that I don't see the file/link in /var/run?

Tbh I can't remember what one is the default.

Also, are you sure that is running with the socket? The file must be there in that case.

• zserozsero Member

No I'm not sure, I just remember reading that nginx is fast because it uses sockets, but it seems I was wrong.

• zserozsero Member

OK, I understand it now. It's dependent on the configuration, I thought it's something "global" where all the socket's are kept in a /var folder or something.

Also, it's included in Minstall too:

listen = /dev/shm/php.socket

and

sed -i 's/listen = example/listen = \/home\/'$USERNAME'\/http\/private\/php.socket/g' /etc/php5/fpm/pool.d/$USERNAME.conf

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited July 2012

@zsero said: I just remember reading that nginx is fast because it uses sockets,

Dunno, probably you must try both to see how it goes.
    You can check how is running in the PHP configuration.
    Or you can dump the whole network stuff with netstat -na and see what is running.

EDIT: Oh you solved it xD

Thanked by 1zsero
  • zserozsero Member

Thanks for this, I didn't know this. Yes, the same sockets are listening there!

• I used sockets for Minstall as it allows cordoning off specific PHP processes to specific users (AFAIK ports would be accessible system wide and thus a security flaw).

• zserozsero Member

@maxexcloo, is there any way to contact you by PM or email? I've collected all things missing from minstall and wrote a host-manager in Python, and a phpMyAdmin install script, I would be happy to contribute it to the project!