Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Btsync in VPS = How to secure the btsync config file ??
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Btsync in VPS = How to secure the btsync config file ??

noqqkknoqqkk Member

I think the server admin just use CAT or NANO can easily to read this btsync config file, right?

The btsync config file which stored my username and password of btsync GUI.

Therefore, the server admin can easily login my btsync in GUI then check my folder secret key and download all of my files easily?

If above all are positive, how can I secure the btsync config file. Many thanks.

Comments

• AThomasHoweAThomasHowe Member
    edited May 2014

There aren't really a lot of ways to combat that. Maybe use a KVM VPS and use disk encryption and use reputable providers.

• rds100rds100 Member

Get a dedi. Or find a host you trust.

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

said: Therefore, the server admin can easily login my btsync in GUI then check my folder secret key and download all of my files easily?

Why do you think your service provider is interested in that at the first place?

You rent a house somewhere and you know the landlord have the master key and he or she could enter your room everyday. Will you just not rent a room because of that?

Frankly I am quite fed up with people who are complaining about mistrusting your provider and all those NSA cr@p, if you don't trust the internet, just don't use it. If you don't trust a provider, just don't use it. It is that simple.

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

AThomasHowe and rds100, many thanks for your help

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

if you don't trust the internet, just don't use it

Two words you should learn are Curiosity and Privacy.

In addition, my question is "How to secure the btsync config file" and not to say there is no provider can trust.

If you 100% trust the internet, why you need to secure your server, why your PC need to install firewall, why your home wifi need to use WPA2, why you need to encrypt your sensitive files before sync it to dropbox ?

• noqqkk said: In addition, my question is "How to secure the btsync config file" and not to say there is no provider can trust.

Use Tahoe-LAFS if you don't trust the provider. Tahoe-LAFS was developed with the chance that it could be deployed on non-trusted servers.

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

Silvenga said: Use Tahoe-LAFS if you don't trust the provider. Tahoe-LAFS was developed with the chance that it could be deployed on non-trusted servers.

Many thanks for your information

• WilliamWilliam Member

zhuanyi said: You rent a house somewhere and you know the landlord have the master key and he or she could enter your room everyday. Will you just not rent a room because of that?

I actually changed my locks when moving in to a rented flat - It's all just about how far paranoia goes.

• noqqkknoqqkk Member

William said: I actually changed my locks when moving in to a rented flat

• zhuanyizhuanyi Member

noqqkk said: Two words you should learn are Curiosity and Privacy.

And one life lesson you should learn is: trust the people that you need to trust.

I set up firewalls and all that against the bad people (hackers, botnets), and I obviously don't trust them. However when I signed up for my VPS service, whether it is a 5 bucks a month one or 50 a month, I do my investigation first and once I put down the money, I trust them with my data.

• publiopublio Member

@zhuanyi said:
    I set up firewalls and all that against the bad people (hackers, botnets), and I obviously don't trust them. However when I signed up for my VPS service, whether it is a 5 bucks a month one or 50 a month, I do my investigation first and once I put down the money, I trust them with my data.

I don't think it's and issue of trust, but of security. Even relatively reputable providers like DO have made the mistake of not wiping used disks. Google encrypts their cloud storage at rest. Does that imply that the datacenters they own are not secure? Of course not. The cost benefit is great enough to make encryption a necessity.

To answer the question, I'd suggest using the ecryptfs-utils package for encrypted folders, or cryptsetup with luks for encrypted devices.

• @noqqkk said: