Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OpenNIC - The other Internet!!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OpenNIC - The other Internet!!

earlearl Member
edited May 2012 in General

I found this project kinda interesting.. They offer an alternative DNS root to ICANN and have their own TLD like .geek.

Has anyone ever tried? I think you can apply for your own TLD..

From Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenNIC

Their Website:
http://www.opennicproject.org/

There seems to be quite a few Alternative DNS root:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_DNS_root

Comments

• gianggiang Veteran

Their domains are only worked with their DNS :D

• earlearl Member

@giang said: Their domains are only worked with their DNS :D

Yes..but at least ICANN TLD will resolve when you change to their DNS, not sure how safe it is to use thought?

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

It's pretty safe. Just that most web users who don't change their DNS will never be able to access those TLD's.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2012

@Boltersdriveer said: It's pretty safe. Just that most web users who don't change their DNS will never be able to access those TLD's.

Yeah, the majority of users will never see your site.. I don't think it would even come up in google searches, you would probably have to use their search engine for the all of their TLD..

I just like the idea you can apply to have your own TLD created.. would be pretty neat.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

Yep, results will not show up on Google.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2012

@Boltersdriveer said: Yep, results will not show up on Google.

I hear google is trying to apply for their own TLD, .google. Not sure if this is true or not..

• @earl said: I hear google is trying to apply for their own TLD, .google. Not sure if this is true or not..

ICANN allowed organisations to pay $100,000s to have their own extension, Google would most likely go for .google before Microsoft try and get it and change it to Bing.

• earlearl Member

@Daniel - I heard about that.. I guess $100,000 is not a lot for a large corporation. Maybe we will see more companies applying for a TLD.. should be interesting.

• @earl said: @Daniel - I heard about that.. I guess $100,000 is not a lot for a large corporation. Maybe we will see more companies applying for a TLD.. should be interesting.

I guess, but the price is clearly so you can't buy them like normal domains, but I guess you would want that, having to remember 1,000,000 .tld's would be horrible.

• earlearl Member

You're right, it's hard enough as it is. if everyone is allowed to make one that would be chaos.

• earlearl Member

But think about the potential to monetize openNic, it seems they're still in their infancy.. you could follow the success trend of the internet over the years and duplicate it on openNic.. you could be the next google or facebook. It's a thought.

• JacobJacob Member

Pretty sure that would be copyright and a Bad move on Microsoft's behalf, However even if the money is there, I think your request has to go through the ICANN Board aswell and it can either be Accepted, Or declined.

Abit like the .xxx TLD.

@Daniel said: ICANN allowed organisations to pay $100,000s to have their own extension, Google would most likely go for .google before Microsoft try and get it and change it to Bing.

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2012

@Jacob said: Pretty sure that would be copyright and a Bad move on Microsoft's behalf

Yeah I think the law will side with google.. but then again look at nissan.com it actually belongs to a computer company and not a big one at that!! rightfully you would think it belongs to nissan the car manufacturer.

• nabonabo Member

@earl said: You're right, it's hard enough as it is. if everyone is allowed to make one that would be chaos.

Why would it be chaos? We have IDN now, domains that I can't even read nor type, domains I will be never able to access. We have IPv6. IP-Addresses I will never remember and that are so much nobody will. Why does it matter what the ending of the URL you type into your browser must always be the same? The gTLD-system was fine if it would have stayed like that as it was in the beginning. But today it doesn't really matter. Most people don't even understand what gTLD, ccTLD means. They don't understand that www is not part of the domain. Heck, even the http:// is obsolete as we have ports. And with the time flying by and people getting more and more smartphones they will abandon the normal internet and surf on app-stores and inside apps. Why does it matter in such cases how the URL looks like?

I guess the discussion goes into the same direction when MS intrdocued filenames longer than 8+3. The mailingslists have been divided into the groups supporting that (for a good reason) and others that said you will end up in chaos. And then after that they introduced the international characters in the filenames. But on Linux/Unix this is every-day-life and it works. I never cared what the filename was as long as it works.

• @nabo said: Heck, even the http:// is obsolete as we have ports.

ugm, protocols and ports are different things.

• earlearl Member

@nabo said: Why does it matter what the ending of the URL you type into your browser must always be the same

Would be kinda cool if you could just type google instead of google.com in the browser, but I guess only time will tell if this move is for the better or worse.. and yeah I'm not liking the ipv6 thing either!!

• nabonabo Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: ugm, protocols and ports are different things.

That is completely right. And that sentence I made is BS. What I meant to say is: nobody enters the http:// and the browsers won't display it.

@earl said: Would be kinda cool if you could just type google instead of google.com in the browser, but I guess only time will tell if this move is for the better or worse.. and yeah I'm not liking the ipv6 thing either!!

We had that a while back with AOL. And today it works with Firefox at least; AFAIK it takes the word and puts it through googles lucky search and displays the first result.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

I use dnsmasq at home, so some time ago I just added to its config:

# OpenNIC
    server=/geek/89.16.173.11
    server=/free/89.16.173.11
    server=/bbs/89.16.173.11
    server=/parody/89.16.173.11
    server=/oss/89.16.173.11
    server=/indy/89.16.173.11
    server=/fur/89.16.173.11
    server=/ing/89.16.173.11
    server=/micro/89.16.173.11
    server=/dyn/89.16.173.11
    server=/gopher/89.16.173.11

server=/geek/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/free/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/bbs/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/parody/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/oss/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/indy/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/fur/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/ing/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/micro/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/dyn/2001:470:1f10:c6::2
    server=/gopher/2001:470:1f10:c6::2

don't see much of a point though, such a domain would be useful e.g. only if you're going to use it yourself and maybe with a couple of relatives/friends, who also know how to configure their machines for OpenNIC.

Also I did not like some ToS of domain registration there, basically it looked like they're going to look through the contents of your website, and if they don't like something, they can take away the domain.

Thanked by 1earl
  • SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@earl said: Would be kinda cool if you could just type google instead of google.com in the browser, but I guess only time will tell if this move is for the better or worse..

You can type just "google" as most browsers add by default .com extension however new domain extentions are just another ICANN way to squeeze more money from companies. I mean... what do you prefer: new www.drink.coca-cola or old www.coca-cola.com, new www.search.google or old www.google.com?

• AsadAsad Member

.fur
    furry fandom-related sites.

Stay well away...

Thanked by 1raindog308
  • nabonabo Member

@Spirit said: however new domain extentions are just another ICANN way to squeeze more money from companies. I mean... what do you prefer: new www.drink.coca-cola or old www.coca-cola.com, new www.search.google or old www.google.com?

That is so true. TBH, I was also fine with 2:270/1200.1 (Fidonet) or the WWW when private persons just had subdomains because of the high costs of a domain name. That all worked and we didn't have so much junk and spam.

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said: I use dnsmasq at home, so some time ago I just added to its config:

Thanks I will try out dnsmasq..

@rm_ said: Also I did not like some ToS of domain registration there, basically it looked like they're going to look through the contents of your website, and if they don't like something, they can take away the domain.

It sounds kinda of extreme but I'm sure that's just to cover them self from someone abusing their system..

@Spirit said: You can type just "google" as most browsers add by default .com

In firefox when i type in the address bar without the tld extension it brings up the search resuts from google... same as nabo mentioned.

furry fandom-related sites.

Interestingly enough "furry fandom" has a wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry_fandom

• AsadAsad Member

@earl said: Interestingly enough "furry fandom" has a wiki.

I know it too well, one of my friends is a fury and the other an ex-fury. It shames me deeply..

Thanked by 2earl raindog308
  • earlearl Member

@AsadHaider said: I know it too well, one of my friends is a fury and the other an ex-fury. It shames me deeply..

Too funny..
    You better watch out!! might be contagious :)

• earlearl Member

@liam

I like .geek and .ing, but yeah the other one's not so much..
    I used the server in ontario and wasn't too bad.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@Daniel said: ICANN allowed organisations to pay $100,000s to have their own extension,

I think we should pass the hat to get .lowendtld setup.

• nabonabo Member

@raindog308 said: I think we should pass the hat to get .lowendtld setup.

So let's collect money for .low ;-)

• earlearl Member

@raindog308 @nabo

I think there is also a yearly fee once your approved.. something like $25,000 - $50,000 maybe more..

I signed up for a .geek domain yesterday, seems to work pretty good, but the domain manager seems kinda buggy.. if you choose to let OpenNic manage your domain it's really hard to switch it so that your server manages the DNS.. and if your with OpenNic DNS you can't even set up "A" records to point to the server..

• @earl said: you could be the next google or facebook.

No lol, alternative DNS zones have existed since many years and there is simply no reason why mainstream people should use them (or even know how to change their DNS server). This system can never become big

• earlearl Member

@gsrdgrdghd

Unfortunately that's pretty true..When I checked the wiki on alternative DNS root a lot of the website don't even work any more!!