Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SALE! Online.net Limited Edition Dedibox - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

SALE! Online.net Limited Edition Dedibox

2»

Comments

• wychwych Member

@N0v3mb3r said:
    Why the server just showing 48GB ram instead of 64GB ram? But when i check "dmidecode --type memory" there show all memory 64GB ram, how did happen?

Does that not show the boards max memory not the installed memory?

• @wych said:
    Does that not show the boards max memory not the installed memory?

If i check with cat /proc/meminfo or top = show 48GB ram

If i go with dmidecode --type memory = show 64GB ram (16 + 16 + 16 + 16) show in the list.

Actually im not familiar with this environment of this, is it the server in memory mirror mode?

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

@N0v3mb3r do you maybe use a 32-bit OS (with PAE)?
    Install a 64-bit one. If it's already 64-bit, then file a ticket and complain they scammed you on RAM.

• @rm_ said:
    N0v3mb3r do you maybe use a 32-bit OS (with PAE)?
    Install a 64-bit one. If it's already 64-bit, then file a ticket and complain they scammed you on RAM.

I am using ubuntu 12.04 64-bit,

Already open the tickets, and they said, its 64GB ram, they check using dmidecode --type memory,

@N0v3mb3r interesting, can you pastebin your 'dmesg' result?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

give it 30 days and lets wait for all the "online.net are a scam/fraud they took my money" posts :)

• N0v3mb3rN0v3mb3r Member
    edited May 2014

@rm_ said:
    N0v3mb3r interesting, can you pastebin your 'dmesg' result?

http://pastebin.com/6FyK29d9

@AnthonySmith said:
    give it 30 days and lets wait for all the "online.net are a scam/fraud they took my money" posts :)

lol, dont said like that, i already try too many server in online.net and i am satisfied all my server at there, just for this server only that make me curious about the setting.. just only to share to get more information about this..

@N0v3mb3r Okay no idea, but from what you posted it shows 48GB indeed.
    Can you also post that dmidecode --type memory result?
    Also did you try a different OS, such as Debian, or a newer Ubuntu?

• @rm_ said:
    N0v3mb3r Okay no idea, but from what you posted it shows 48GB indeed.
    Can you also post that dmidecode --type memory result?
    Also did you try a different OS, such as Debian, or a newer Ubuntu?

http://pastebin.com/NKe6Wmvk

okay.. maybe i should try another OS later.. there avaiable on debian 7 will do it also on ubuntu latest version

• earlearl Member

@N0v3mb3r

If I had to guess could be cause they are mixing buffered and unbuffered memory or at least not using them in the correct pair/ memory socket..

• wojonswojons Member

Well if you are running an application this serveris great

edited May 2014

earl said: If I had to guess could be cause they are mixing buffered and unbuffered memory or at least not using them in the correct pair/ memory socket..

That dmidecode output shows you exactly what memory they use and in which sockets it is installed. So why do you "have to guess"? I am not an expert on these crazy 8-socket servers but to me everything looked fine there (A2/A3, B2/B3, all four modules of the same type).

• @AnthonySmith said:

Yeah, ppl always forget to cancel subscription before the 20th day of the actual month. :DD

• earlearl Member

@rm_ said:
    That dmidecode output shows you exactly what memory they use and in which sockets it is installed. So why do you "have to guess"? I am not an expert on these crazy 8-socket servers but to me everything looked fine there (A2/A3, B2/B3, all four modules of the same type).

Yeah, I don't think it's memory related.. Probably the OS. I noticed that with OVH ubuntu seems to have power savings enabled by default while with promox my CPU is running at full speed. Not saying this is related to the memory issue, just suggesting it could be an issue with his current OS.