Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for free shopping cart system for virtual goods
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for free shopping cart system for virtual goods

AmitzAmitz Member
edited May 2012 in Help

Hi there,

a friend of mine (with zero budget) would like to sell a self-written book via his website. Payment shall be done via Paypal. Access to the PDF shall be given directly after payment. Does anyone of you know a good (and free!) shop system that is maybe even made for selling eBooks and (if just possible) is able to watermark the sold PDFs with information about the buyer? Thank you very much for your input in advance!

Cheers,
-A

Comments

• AldryicAldryic Member

@Amitz - My wife recommends Amazon, actually. You end up with commission from each sale (there's a bunch of different options to choose from), plus it's available on their marketplace for ease of access, and with most of the payout options they'll help market it for you. Worked out well for her on an ebook she put up.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

I like prestashop myself. It does allow for downloadable products.

• AmitzAmitz Member

@Aldric Ha! - that was my first idea, too. Mainly, because I would not have to setup and configure the shop for him if he was using Amazon directly. But he insists of using both channels: Amazon AND direct sale from his website...

@jarland Thank you very much - I will take a look!

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited May 2012

@Amitz said: But he insists of using both channels: Amazon AND direct sale from his website...

Be very careful to read the fine print, then. Some of Amazon's options involve relinquishing the right to sell in other places as long as it's still on their Market. (though I'm fairly certain they allow for just removing from their Market when you're ready to sell elsewhere).

• AdamAdam Member
    edited May 2012

If it's only one product, and demand isn't high, I would suggest just having a 'buy now' button and emailing the pdf within 24hrs.
    In regards to auto-watermark pdf, I don't know of any free automated programs, but it can be done manually or if he knows php can easily be automated (tcpdf/fpdf).

I would however recommend using a 3rd party service, such as E-Junkie (1week trial, and then $5 a month).

• AmitzAmitz Member

E-Junkie looks like the perfect all-in-one solution for the problem at hand! Are they trustworthy? I will now have to convince him that $5 a month are worth it. Otherwise I will sponsor him with that, because I am the one to setup and maintain his shop system and $5/month are worth any trouble that I can avoid... ;-)