Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2 Motd on login
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

2 Motd on login

DeorDeor Member
edited May 2012 in General

So yesterday i rebuilt my vm with Debian 6 64bit as some software i use now prefers 64bit. All running fine, but when i log in, i get the motd twice for some reason.

login as: j*****
Authenticating with public key "J******@*******.co.uk"
Passphrase for key "J******@*******.co.uk":
Linux debian 2.6.32-274.3.1.el5.028stab094.3 #1 SMP Thu Sep 22 13:24:07 MSD 2011 x86_64
No mail.
Linux debian 2.6.32-274.3.1.el5.028stab094.3 #1 SMP Thu Sep 22 13:24:07 MSD 2011 x86_64
j*****@debian:~$

Google found some info on it, but it seemed to relate to older versions. I tried the fixes anyway, but it didnt fix it.

Any ideas? Its not a big problem really, just annoying.

Comments

• AsadAsad Member
    edited May 2012

What's in /etc/motd? and set use_motd or whatever it is to no in /etc/ssh/sshd_conf if you want to disable it showing

• DeorDeor Member

/etc/motd just shows:

Linux debian 2.6.32-274.3.1.el5.028stab094.3 #1 SMP Thu Sep 22 13:24:07 MSD 2011 $

Hence my confusion. /etc/motd.tail is also empty.

I could disable it, like i said its just annoying, but I dislike things not working properly :)

• NickMNickM Member

What sshd are you using?

• DeorDeor Member

OpenSSH

• NickMNickM Member

I suspect that both your sshd and PAM are printing your motd. Checking my debian 6 servers, I have PrintMotd no in my sshd config, and I still get my motd, so the default must be for PAM to handle it.

Thanked by 1Deor
  • That the /etc/profile doesn't have a cat /etc/motd, or that /etc/issue doesn't contain the same info.

• DeorDeor Member

Thanks for the input all.

MickM was right, when i added "PrintMotd no" the problem went away.