Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question to providers about SolusVM
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Question to providers about SolusVM

jamaicajamaica Member
edited May 2014 in Providers

Hello!
Tired of Indian Support of the SolusVM. Rajesh makes me sick.
But. I want to know how do you mess with problems of the SolusVM and KVM.

1. Reinstall via API and no new root password in answer. I mean, really, is it security issue? API is secured by IP, ID and KEY. There are password in answer, but its not documented on SolusVM wiki.

1. Next problem, you cant change password via API for KVM VPS.

2. IPV6, ebtables and IP stealing prevention. Makes me cry. 2+ years and doesnt solved.

3. No disk limits? ORLY? Should I create some workaround to use cgroups?

4. Graphs. No graphs about VPS and resources.

5. PoweDNS. No API. It's the smallest problem.

Comments

• mikegmikeg Member
    edited May 2014

2, 3 and 4 have been problems for me too.

2 - We had this exact problem. Enable the IP stealing prevention and IPv6 ceases to work.

3 - I have thought of doing this also with cgroups

4 - It is crazy that they do not have this feature yet to graph resources. We monitor resources using a cacti script which uses xentop.

SolusVM is really lagging behind other panels in functionality. It appeals to many people because of how cheap it is, but you get very limited functionality for that price.

I have been looking at switching our panel and will be switching to OnApp soon. It is expensive, but miles in front of SolusVM.

*edit

The cacti script is here:
    http://run.tournament.org.il/xen-vms-performance-collection/

Sorry, just realised you were looking for KVM solution. I'm sure someone else has a solution for this.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@mikeg: Some (or most?) providers complain about SolusVM on LEB, but then whenever a new host appears, people throw shit at them for not using it, instead of another solution. Double standards!

• mikegmikeg Member

@iceTwy said:
    mikeg: Some (or most?) providers complain about SolusVM on LEB, but then whenever a new host appears, people throw shit at them for not using it, instead of another solution. Double standards!

I have never complained about SolusVM on LET. I have been a supporter of SolusVM for a long time and have had some of my suggestions implemented into the product with Phil, however we are moving towards a cloud based setup and it just doesn't have the functionality to do this how I want. e.g. you can't have more than 1 logical volume on a single node, it has no live migration, it has no failover to name a few.

It works for a single single server based solutions if you need a simple setup. But the problems listed in this thread highlight parts which still do not work as they should.

After trying out other panels, such as OnApp and OpenStack, they are miles ahead of SolusVM.

• @soluslabs

Last active May/2013, let's see if they read this. :)

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2014

said: Reinstall via API and no new root password in answer. I mean, really, is it security issue? API is secured by IP, ID and KEY.

The password for KVM reinstall is in the answer, as it is auto-generated by solus. I am 100% positive :-)

• jamaicajamaica Member
    edited May 2014

@rsk said:
    The password for KVM reinstall is in the answer, as it is auto-generated by solus. I am 100% positive :-)

Nope. There is no pass in answer. http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Rebuild.htm and after this I need to run http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Root-Password.htm
    Also, I've got proof from James Baker.

But the problem is that rebuilding time of VPS depends on cpu and io system load, so I dont know when to run password change. I need to wait VPS to rebuild. Then I need to check it. Then I need to run password change. Then VPS will reboot causing useless cpu and io load. And BINGO! I've got new pass for my client ^_^

And mostly I hate about this situation. Soluslabs team even doesnt care. They just answer like:

"It is neither a 'bug' or a 'feature' - it's just now it is. You reinstall and then you can set the root password. That's quite normal."

REALLY?

"I'm sorry but it doesn't really matter whether you agree or not, the simple matter is that SolusVM does NOT support this at the moment and there are NO immediate plans to introduce it."

I just ask to make it work as it supposed to. That's all.

jamaica said: Nope. There is no pass in answer. http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Rebuild.htm and after this I need to run http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Root-Password.htm Also, I've got proof from James Baker.

But the problem is that rebuilding time of VPS depends on cpu and io system load, so I dont know when to run password change. I need to wait VPS to rebuild. Then I need to check it. Then I need to run password change. Then VPS will reboot causing useless cpu and io load. And BINGO! I've got new pass for my client ^_^

And mostly I hate about this situation. Soluslabs team even doesnt care. They just answer like:

"It is neither a 'bug' or a 'feature' - it's just now it is. You reinstall and then you can set the root password. That's quite normal."

REALLY?

"I'm sorry but it doesn't really matter whether you agree or not, the simple matter is that SolusVM does NOT support this at the moment and there are NO immediate plans to introduce it."

I just ask to make it work as it supposed to. That's all.

Give me 5-10 mins. I will get it for you. It does come back with new pass if you rebuild the kvm from api.

edited May 2014

@jamaica ... here : $result["rootpassword"]

That is the result from the API. It is not listed on their API docs though.

e.g. < rootpassword > VALUE< / rootpassword >

Also, can you please let me know if this : http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Root-Password.htm works for their KVM's now?

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@rsk said:
    Also, can you please let me know if this : http://docs.solusvm.com/v2/Default.htm#Developer/Admin-Api/Virtual-Server-Functions/Root-Password.htm works for their KVM's now?

API change password does not work for KVM.

Virtovo said: API change password does not work for KVM.

Thats what I thought, but OP stated for KVM.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@rsk said:
    Thats what I thought, but OP stated for KVM.

I think OP will run into issues with his workaround in that case as it is not supported.

Virtovo said: I think OP will run into issues with his workaround in that case as it is not supported.

He was only doing it as he didn't know of the rootpassword result from the API. I guess he doesn't need to do the two methods now.

• jamaicajamaica Member
    edited May 2014

@Virtovo said:
    I think OP will run into issues with his workaround in that case as it is not supported.

So you want to say that I cant change password for KVM VPS via API ? Right?
    Sooo sweet.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@jamaica said:
    Sooo sweet.

Yep. They only recently added the button to do so on the client side. I agree SolusVM is lagging behind many other panels and it pains me. The only thing I can think is maybe the whole audit/security issues has pushed them back. I am actively look at alternatives although nothing quite meets all needs.

• jamaicajamaica Member
    edited May 2014

@rsk said:
    He was only doing it as he didn't know of the rootpassword result from the API. I guess he doesn't need to do the two methods now.

Take my beans, dude.

<status>success</status> <statusmsg>Virtual server is being rebuilt</statusmsg> <information></information> <rootpassword>Mg0BZfXU</rootpassword>

and

{"status":"success","statusmsg":"Virtual server is being rebuilt","rootpassword":"C0MQ1lhm","information":""}

Thank you.

• CoreyCorey Member

Virtovo said: Yep. They only recently added the button to do so on the client side. I agree SolusVM is lagging behind many other panels and it pains me. The only thing I can think is maybe the whole audit/security issues has pushed them back. I am actively look at alternatives although nothing quite meets all needs.

Or maybe their dev team is doing support and they have paused dev for some reason unless it is a major bug or security exploit? (Just speculation)

jamaica said: Take my beans, dude.

success

Virtual server is being rebuilt

Mg0BZfXU

and

{"status":"success","statusmsg":"Virtual server is being rebuilt","rootpassword":"C0MQ1lhm","information":""}

Thank you.

Anytime :D

• jamaicajamaica Member
    edited May 2014

@rsk said:
    Anytime :D

May be you've got some info about other troubles? :)

@jamaica said:
    May be you've got some info about other troubles? :)

Unfortunately, no. That was the only one I knew about :)

• Solus doesn't have any support whatsoever, don't know if it's always been like this. That giant orange banner hasn't left the ClientArea for about a year about being short staffed...

Thanked by 1AnthonySmith
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

I sent them a list of issues (around 20) last year, no reply yet the ticket is still in management review.

They have been using the same old "just wait... big things are happening" crap for 3 years now.

My honest opinion based on 3+ years of use/support and issues is this: solusvm Ripped off HyperVM's code and reached a skill limit in terms of continuous development about 2 years ago so now are just milking small improvements and new skins until someone comes up with an alternative.

I thought hostguard.net was going to be that alternative however they got bashed a little unfairly here on day 1 and never came back.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@AnthonySmith said:
    I sent them a list of issues (around 20) last year, no reply yet the ticket is still in management review.

They have been using the same old "just wait... big things are happening" crap for 3 years now.

My honest opinion based on 3+ years of use/support and issues is this: solusvm Ripped off HyperVM's code and reached a skill limit in terms of continuous development about 2 years ago so now are just milking small improvements and new skins until someone comes up with an alternative.

I thought hostguard.net was going to be that alternative however they got bashed a little unfairly here on day 1 and never came back.

I have something in Review for four days, which considering the bank holiday weekend is not too bad. I'm hoping I get a good response to this VNC issue. It's gone through two of the first liners, then to Jason and now awaiting Phill.

To be fair they have been responsive to some things I have suggested recently and built them into the recent release. They have also listened to some of the things I suggested for the v6 deployments (hope they implement them).

It really does feel like it is falling further and further behind. There are some viable alternatives; however they all have some barrier to entry that needs overcoming.

Hostguard seemed like a good option; however it seems development has stagnated (at least publicly). Their forum is dead apart from a few posts from me and your regular bump for Xen support.

I really wish I had the time to throw together something on top of Xenserver.

O-Virt looks quite nice, Opennebula also. You also have the ****stacks. I am seriously considering building out an OnApp deployment; however worry something will break in an update and be left high and dry.