Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Performance of 8 x SSD Samsung EVO in HP Smart Array P410i with 1024 MB Cache
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Performance of 8 x SSD Samsung EVO in HP Smart Array P410i with 1024 MB Cache

jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

Hello, what do you thing about the performance that I will get with this config:

8 x SSD Samsung EVO
Using the Smart Array P410i with 1024 MB Cache

The server is a HP DL380 G7 with dual Xeon X5670 + 128 GB RAM

Thanks.

Comments

• 25-29K seek IOPS, 700-850MB/sec dd 16k with 3.X kernel.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

What are the EVOS like in production? I know write endurance is significantly lower compared to a lot of other SSDs.

• @Virtovo said:
    What are the EVOS like in production? I know write endurance is significantly lower compared to a lot of other SSDs.

I wouldn't use them. The price is appealing but IMO, they'll die very quick. If you are looking for cheap and reliable SSD, m500s is the way to go.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • jmginerjmginer Member, Patron Provider

@serverian said:
    25-29K seek IOPS, 700-850MB/sec dd 16k with 3.X kernel.

Do you have this same server + RAID card? Have you configured with 8 x SSD?
    I appreciate if you can explain a bit more you response.
    Many thanks!

• @jmginer said:
    Do you have this same server + RAID card? Have you configured with 8 x SSD?

I've experimented the same configuration before. But I don't use those SSDs in production.

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • VirtovoVirtovo Member

@serverian said:
    I wouldn't use them. The price is appealing but IMO, they'll die very quick. If you are looking for cheap and reliable SSD, m500s is the way to go.

Yes currently testing m550s and very happy with them. Was debating between evos + 550s was checking if I made right choice.

@serverian said:
    I've experimented the same configuration before. But I don't use those SSDs in production.

Thanks, one more consideration, are you talking with RAID-10 config?

• Also, note that you'd get 3Gbps uplink with that server. So, the dd won't make the fetishists very happy :p

• @jmginer said:
    Thanks, one more consideration, are you talking with RAID-10 config?

Yes, RAID10. However, RAID50 will give you about the same performance. But I'm not sure I'd want to run SSDs in RAID50.

• @Virtovo said:
    Yes currently testing m550s and very happy with them. Was debating between evos + 550s was checking if I made right choice.

m550s are superior.

@serverian Many Thanks! I will consider the Crucial model. Regards.

We are looking on the Smart Array 421 but on the PDF (page 32) don't says that is compatible with G7.

What is the problem? is not certified by HP or didn't run anything.

¿Anybody has tested?

• It's advised to use PX2X series with G8 servers. Not really sure what's the reason.

@serverian said:
    It's advised to use PX2X series with G8 servers. Not really sure what's the reason.

What about to install a aftermarket RAID card in HP G7 ?

• @jmginer said:
    What about to install a aftermarket RAID card in HP G7 ?

No problem there. But aftermarket RAID cards don't report the temperature on HP servers, so the fan works 100% all the time.

@serverian Many thanks, I think I will add a LSI 9266-8i.
    Regards!

• PatrickPatrick Member

@jmginer said:
    serverian Many thanks, I think I will add a LSI 9266-8i.
    Regards!

Not sure on prices in Spain, but price of LSI 9271 is nearly the same as 9266 so you're better off with something newer

Thanked by 1jmginer
  • AleksZAleksZ Member

EVO not intended for raid. PRO are. But its better to stick with good controller+intel s3500. G7 controller is a crap and will limit SSD a lot both in terms of speed and iops.

• ZEROFZEROF Member

I will agree with you.

serverian said: I wouldn't use them. The price is appealing but IMO, they'll die very quick. If you are looking for cheap and reliable SSD, m500s is the way to go.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@ZEROF said:
    I will agree with you.

@serverian why do you say they'll die quicker? I was looking to buy one for my gf's laptop BC they are so cheap, and they have more cache than the pro ones

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

@netomx said:
    serverian why do you say they'll die quicker? I was looking to buy one for my gf's laptop BC they are so cheap, and they have more cache than the pro ones

TLC has much lower endurance than MLC or SLC. For a desktop/laptop drive I wouldn't worry so much. The lifespan is still measured in many years.

• ZEROFZEROF Member

It's not same thing for personal and professional users. We have tested all ssd marks and Crucial show best stability. Others have better performances, but some of our SSD's just stopped working after first year, and Crucial turn from the first day until today.

For my personal PC's i use only Kingston HyperX 3K, great product.

netomx said: @serverian why do you say they'll die quicker? I was looking to buy one for my gf's laptop BC they are so cheap, and they have more cache than the pro ones

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

@Virtovo said:
    TLC has much lower endurance than MLC or SLC. For a desktop/laptop drive I wouldn't worry so much. The lifespan is still measured in many years.

Oh OK. Thanks :)

@zerof kingston? Really? I read some reviews as being a bad one, in terms of speed, of course.

• ZEROFZEROF Member

You know, i'm not a gamer, i need stable and good working machine. And few mb's up or down can't change big thing. When people start talking about SSD speeds i just ask them:

"Do you remember the ..."

End of story :)

netomx said: @zerof kingston? Really? I read some reviews as being a bad one, in terms of speed, of course.

• MonsteRMonsteR Member
    edited May 2014

@jmginer Considering getting the 1TB evo's with our new Raid 10 SSD range. But guess ill find out when they arrive :)

• ChrisMillerChrisMiller Member
    edited May 2014

I've had a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD duct taped inside my iMac for 6 months now and have had 0 issues and I absolutely love it. (I forgot I needed a Bracket until I opened it up #DuctTapeFTW)

Pic below is from during the install.

• namhuynamhuy Member

ChrisMiller said: I've had a 1TB Samsung EVO SSD duct taped inside my iMac for 6 months now and have had 0 issues and I absolutely love it. (I forgot I needed a Bracket until I opened it up #DuctTapeFTW)

server environment has much more write than normal soho usage so ssd die faster

edited June 2014

Order is done.

8 x Crucial M550 512GB

LSI-MegaRAID 9266-8i + MegaRAID LSIiBBU09

I expect provide a new LEB in this node in few days :)

• BoxodeBoxode Member
    edited June 2014

namhuy said: server environment has much more write than normal soho usage so ssd die faster

I also believe in a server environment, one would not be utilizing duct tape to hold a 1TB SSD down.

Thanked by 2linuxthefish Scion
  • LeeLee Veteran

@viCommunications said:
    I also believe in a server environment, one would not be utilizing duct tape to hold a 1TB SSD down.

Don't be sure, what providers should do and what they actually do because you can't see are two very different things.