Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World IPv6 Launch Day - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

World IPv6 Launch Day

Comments

• subigosubigo Member
    edited May 2012

Charter automatically sets everyone in my area up with a HE.net ipv6 tunnel now. Something tells me that's going to be the extent of their ipv6 rollout.

In other news... meh.

• rds100rds100 Member

@subigo what? That's just lame. At least they should have put their own tunneling server and setup everyone with tunnels there.

• I added an AAAA record to freevps.us 10 days ago.

[root@sjc nginx]# grep -cv ffff: *.log
    access.log:334
    error.log:17

Most of those requests were from me testing it.

• rds100rds100 Member

@dmmcintyre3 and why the ffff: ?

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited May 2012

@rds100 excluding ipv4 addresses (which show as ::ffff:10.234.56.78 in the log)

• subigosubigo Member

@rds100 said: @subigo what? That's just lame. At least they should have put their own tunneling server and setup everyone with tunnels there.

Yep. My Internet went out like two weeks ago for a few hours and when I called them about it they said they were "rolling out IPv6 to my area". When it came back up it was nothing but a HE.net tunnel... shrug

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited June 2012

The FBI is worried about the wider adoption of IPv6 - harder to snoop.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57445157-83/fbi-new-internet-addresses-could-hinder-police-investigations/

• aubsaubs Member
    edited June 2012

I posted this on another thread then saw this thread. Probably more appropriate here ...

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,96321.msg835286.html#msg835286

Thought that might be of interest to users in the UK (and maybe those elsewhere who have an interest in IPv6).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Woot! We'll be ready. :)

Thanked by 1taipres
  • 96mb96mb Member

Interesting to know that in Canada, @Francisco and Pony is the only one officially taking part in this

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • 96mb96mb Member

And they are not even based in Canada

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • TaylorTaylor Member

Thought that might be of interest to users in the UK

Shame it seems like they are the only uk isp doing this, but they do not offer a unlimited package so no use for me :P

• aubsaubs Member

@Taylor : what is your monthly usage? 60 GB ( or 120 GB on Fibre) is quite a hefty usage. Don't forget it is unlimited from midnight to 8 am.

• JacobJacob Member

@aubs I have unlimited 10Mbps, I eat up about 8GB/day in my house

• @Jacob said: @aubs I have unlimited 10Mbps, I eat up about 8GB/day in my house

I just pulled this from the Virgin router status page:

Measurement Period:   2days 7h:8m:37s
    Data Downloaded:      80GB 0Bytes
    Data Uploaded:    4GB 0Bytes

Sadly it reset a couple days ago :( There was some crazy huge counter there.

• aubsaubs Member

@Jacob and @ElliotJ : Seriously guys, what do you download, especially ElliotJ, unless of course it is wildly off.

That's download of 0.4 MB/sec (3.2 Mb/sec) every second of the day.

• ElliotJElliotJ Member
    edited June 2012

@aubs said: @Jacob and @ElliotJ : Seriously guys, what do you download, especially ElliotJ, unless of course it is wildly off.
    That's download of 0.4 MB/sec (3.2 Mb/sec) every second of the day.

I'm on 30mbit fiber (soon going up to 60mbit) and my ISP provides free Usenet access.
    Not difficult to chew up bandwidth at all :)

Oh, what do I download?
    Lots and lots of Linux isos, and books in the public domain, of course. wink wink

• JacobJacob Member

Media Server Powered, 1 Desktop, 1 Xbox, 1 Laptop, 2 Phones.

Skype, Sky, Online Games, Downloading...

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1985736468.png

@aubs said: That's download of 0.4 MB/sec (3.2 Mb/sec) every second of the day.

• aubsaubs Member

Sorry, I meant ElliotJ doing 80GB in 2 days!

But that's a lot still!

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

@ElliotJ said: Data Downloaded: 80GB 0Bytes

Wow, that's pretty intense. I'm limited to 10Mbps. :(

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • TaylorTaylor Member

@aubs said: : what is your monthly usage?

I cant find that /: but look at what I have downloaded from my seedbox alone its easily 60GB just on that. When I can get fibre I will likely get the sky unlimited one.

• @Jack said: @ElliotJ Do you have any issues with SSH on your superhub? I got mine last tuesday and it times me out of SSH alot , I rang virgin they told me to change the Channel on the wireless but that didn't do anything.

Yup, it cuts off my SSH connections regularly, within a couple minutes usually.

Go into your putty connection settings, and set your seconds between keepalives to ~15. That should help :)

• JTRJTR Member
    edited June 2012

IIRC, my ISP hasn't even given me a IPv6-capable modem, so nope on that count.

My BuyVM VPS has full IPv6 support, but the dedi I rent for Minecraft servers doesn't have it.

How many sites are even accessible through IPv6 right now anyways?

Edit: Here's my home speedtest.

• nabonabo Member

If it's of importance for anyone: T-Mobile USA has enabled IPv6 in it's whole network as of yesterday.

• I do have IPv6 at home by a HE tunnel (too lazy to set one up to our DC) and we have IPv6 in all locations (KVM only) which seems to be used "a bit" (Aggregated on all locations around 40Mbit 95% v6 traffic, most of that in Austria, Switzerland and Poland)

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited June 2012

gogo6 is nice, few clicks had IPV6 working nice, couldn't get HE tunnel to work either, even talking to an ex he employee on IRC or other IPV6 enthusiasts.

• I been ready at ionvz.com for the last year and a half, just waiting for AT&T to actually push out a firmware update so I don't have to tunnel from home. And my personal VPS is also using Native IPv6. While most visitors will never travel to the site over IPv6 yet, I wanted to have it early-on.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@Jack and whoever else is cursed enough to use Virgin Media, the problem of timeouts can be from two major factors, the incorrect cable power signal or your router simply being trash.

Both of which applied to me, I am on the 50Mbit package be ever since we got our cable internet in 2005 (? It was 20Mbit with NTL, someone can check when NTL released their 20Mbit) we had timeout issues.

After I got a little more interested in computers and crap I posted on Virgin's forum about it and a few years later and a few threads later I got a response telling us to get an engineer to check the power levels. That engineer never turned up, but my dad had a friend who happened to be a Virgin engineer (no, not what you're thinking) who put a signal attinuator, which didn't seem to fix the problem.

He then asked virgin to ship us a router but specifically asked not to ship a superhub or whatever crap they call it, you can make your own decision as to why. My internet coneation works nicely now with the cheapy flimsy D-Link router they sent. When I can be bothered I will find my switch and install some router software on an old box and get rid of the D-Link.

Thanked by 2klikli Liam
  • RandyRandy Member

it way be out. but it takes awhile for hosts/ISPs to get them up