Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for VPS provider in Iran or North Korea. - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for VPS provider in Iran or North Korea.

2»

Comments

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2014

zhuanyi said: Rumours saying there is only 1 single PC that is connected to the Internet there (I don't believe it personally) so unless you can convince Mr. Kim to rent his PC to you as a VPS...I don't see any other options.

North Korea has a Tier 4 datacenter in Pyongyang. it's owned by the countries military complex and Orascom (Egypt) - It's basically a military site.
    You can see it on guided tours.

AThomasHowe said: I believe one or two of their sites may even be hosted inside N Korea.

Most are by now, NK invested in DDoS protection after they got fiber to China (Nx10GE)

asterisk14 said: The only sectors 'frozen'/sanctioned are the nuclear areas and Iranian companies that support that area.

No, the US explicitely limits high tech and IT and the EU limits for human rights abuse still.

• @William said:
    No, the US explicitely limits high tech and IT and the EU limits for human rights abuse still.

US sanctions high tech **exports **to Iran, is buying a VPS on a PC in Iran high tech??? No.

People really need to get a grip. Next thing ppl will be thinking is that to even look at Iran on a map is illegal!

• @asterisk14 said:
    What rubbish. Iran is against terrorism, and is the victim of USA/UK/Israel terrorism. Read about how some of their people have been blown up with car bombs planted by USA/UK/Israel just becuase they teach physics at university. USA also supports terrorist groups such as Jundullah, MEK and others which frequently carry out terrorist attacks in Iran. USA/UK supplied chemical weapons to Iraq to use against Iran.

While I wouldn't go that far, I would have to agree on the fact that the USA did play its part in the Iranian conflict. The USA themselves helped set up their nuclear program when Shâh Pahlavi was still in power. Here's an intersting read: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A3983-2005Mar26.html

Having said that, I think both sides are not doing well in trying to resolve this conflict.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand: does the trade embargo also apply to consumer purchases?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member
    edited May 2014

:-/

• WilliamWilliam Member

asterisk14 said: US sanctions high tech **exports **to Iran, is buying a VPS on a PC in Iran high tech??? No.

Considering it needs to run on US technology - Intel and AMD CPUs notably - Yes, you would be supporting sanction violation with this.

• rds100rds100 Member

@William in this case it seems that Intel and AMD would be the violators, not the one that rents a VPS in Iran. Buying a VPS in Iran is not EXPORT it is IMPORT.

Thanked by 1William
  • nerouxneroux Member

William said: Considering it needs to run on US technology - Intel and AMD CPUs notably - Yes, you would be supporting sanction violation with this.

You wouldnt be exporting it any and technology like the aforementioned is widely used in consumer goods and so would hardly qualify as high tech. Of course a proper lawyer can twist whatever they want eventually ;).

• You probably wont believe it but north korea actually have 3G internet. It's not that expensive too.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2014

rds100 said: @William in this case it seems that Intel and AMD would be the violators, not the one that rents a VPS in Iran. Buying a VPS in Iran is not EXPORT it is IMPORT.

Yes, they violate it - And the buyer supports them knowingly while doing that - Thats fairly clear even in US federal law.

Sure, issues are unrealistic to expect for that, but by this technicality you "can't" host on x86 in Iran

• cosmicgate said: You probably wont believe it but north korea actually have 3G internet. It's not that expensive too.

Pyongyang has good 3G coverage, the rest of the country has patchy but some access. But it's all access to the local intranet with access to a few select whitelisted websites (probably a lot of them propaganda websites hosted by the party in other nations or at least some affiliation).

You can also get an unfiltered connection if you're one of the Kims though (the current leaders father was pretty ironically a big fan of browsing the internet), or if you're near the borders and willing to risk it (and have enough things to barter for currency/services). Not really ideal for hosting an external service though.

• VPNVPN Member

The sanctions only apply to support given to Iran. If you make a purchase of more than $5million then you will be violating the sanctions.

So unless you intend to but hundreds of thousands of VPSs, it's not an issue.

• I'm just thinking about those cryptography export laws. Would anyone be allowed to use SSL when hosting in North Korea.

If you want protection for the content you want to host - use the Tor or I2P networks. Cheaper and safer.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited May 2014

asterisk14 said: US sanctions high tech **exports **to Iran, is buying a VPS on a PC in Iran high tech??? No.

I think you have no clue how international law and sanctions work. No offense intended.

• asterisk14asterisk14 Member
    edited May 2014

@darknyan said:
    I think you have no clue how international law and sanctions work. No offense intended.

It doesn't really matter, all they are, are a bullying tool that the USA/UK use against other weaker countries. Usually doesn't end well. Check out what happened when USA deliberately sanctioned/blocked Japanese oil supplies. Check out what happened when the UK sanctioned Germany after WW1. Now USA/UK want to sanction Russia. Better start digging some nuclear proof bunkers! Obama O'Drama and Cameroon got theirs so they are not bothered.

• nerouxneroux Member

asterisk14 said: It doesn't really matter, all they are, are a bullying tool that the USA/UK use against other weaker countries.

http://rt.com/op-edge/us-foreign-policy-bullying-493/

• sirmbhesirmbhe Member

iran i can understand, but north korea? did you already have potential customer? :)

This discussion has been closed.