Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need a more mid-range European VPS, with decent bandwidth. (NOT edis.at / chvps)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need a more mid-range European VPS, with decent bandwidth. (NOT edis.at / chvps)

goufgouf Member
edited May 2012 in General

I need a good, reliable VPS with a fair amount of bandwidth.

he application is shoutcast and icecast. I'd really like it to be in Canada, but Europe is OK too. (we're SOCAN licensed, which is a Canadian thing.)

A ballpark figure, I suppose, would be 2-3TB of bandwidth pr. month, which makes it hard to find using the directory here. Can't really find a way to search by bandwidth, and anyway, I don't expect much for $5.00/month :-)

Here's what I need:

Memory: I could get by on 512m (possibly even lower, with swap)
Disk space: 10G or lower. Just enough to run nginx, icecast, shoutcast and the logs.
At least 2 IPv4 numbers.
Bandwidth: 3TB (more or less)
I'd expect to pay around $20.00/month for this.

• It has to actually work, for real, not just during monitoring time.

I've been with chvps for a couple months, they're surprisingly good, if I needed web server stuff. But they have a lot of network issues. (I have their strato 2 package) you can look forward to lots of 40 second outages with chvps, which, for web servers wouldn't be so bad. (messes up ajax stuff, but for a proxy nginx, it really isn't bad)

Tech support at chvps is some-where between really good, very polite to awful and rude, depending on who you get. Overall, chvps is a great value.. I really wish it worked for me... heck, I'd be willing to pay them more, if only the reliability issues could be ironed out!

EDIS.AT - deceptive. They're great when you monitor them, fall apart when you need them.

During my monitoring time, everything at edis.at was great! They appeared stable, I didn't have a single network outage in 2 weeks, so I thought it was a good move to switch.

As soon as I went through the trouble of generating keys, switching DNS records and setting everything up, their network has become far less than even CHVPS's was. Outages of around 4 minutes. (though not quite as frequent as chvps) the packages on EDIS.AT are more expensive, I expected better quality. I swear, this happened within 4 hours of my switching DNS... it's almost like they knew I had committed myself to their service and decided to pull pranks.

I fired off an email to them, asking for an explanation, suffice it to say, I'm severely disappointed.

Setting up nginx, icecast, shoutcast, and generating the keys needed for shoutcast, configuring my web site, nginx to proxy and all that stuff takes about a day, takes even longer to propagate the caches with the shoutcast directory.

The problem is, edis.at goes down for 40 seconds to 4 minutes.. just enough time to bump everyone off the stream, this wreaks havoc with my directory listings and really makes a really big problem for me, those directories rank based on reliability.

Any recommendations for a reliable mid-range VPS? say, $20.00/month or so? with the bandwidth? I don't need much disk space or CPU.. but I do need a good, solid network. Canada or Europe... and it has to work.

Comments

• Maybe you can ask @William about your issues with EDIS?

Thanked by 2beard [Deleted User]
  • beardbeard Member
    edited May 2012

Just find a provider who has data centers with Equinix, such as Dusseldorf Germany is one such location, and that should solve your problem.

Oh saw your bandwidth requirements, just go with BurstNET in Manchester UK

• goufgouf Member

Is he the prankster? :-)

Seriously.. when I first tried them, they had 2 reboots (just after installing all the stuff) I wasn't going to use EDIS after that, but.. I sat on it and watched them.. ssh connections were great, so I thought they'd be a good, reliable fit.

How do they know when you've stopped monitoring and started using their service so they know when to mess with you? :-) 4 hours of "actual" use and there are troubles. It almost feels like it was planned.

It could be a software problem, but the outages are different than on chvps, less frequent, but longer in duration.

• JoeMeritJoeMerit Veteran

just out of curiosity, what edis location was it?

• @gouf said: but I do need a good, solid network. Canada or Europe

I can heartily recommend @prometeus (aka iperweb), who are in Milan and have extremely generous bandwidth allocations on all their packages. Their network has been insanely solid, and support has been fantastic. They are pretty much their own datacenter, so any network issues that arise should be easily resolvable. Feel free to PM @prometeus if you need any more info.

Thanked by 1prometeus
  • goufgouf Member

GetKVM's 250GB is kind of low for what I need. (most of the plans I've looked at here don't offer much bandwidth..)

I have a dedicated server, I can remember only 3 network outages in the 4 !!years!! I've been with them... but... it doesn't offer much bandwidth, so I can't use it for what I had in mind... unfortunately.

• goufgouf Member

JoeMertit, it was Sweden.

Someone suggested I try Germany. I'd hate to go through all the trouble of re-doing everything to find that EDIS in Germany isn't any better. :-(

It's weird, edis got some pretty good reviews elsewhere, which is one of the reasons I went with them.

The key here, is bandwidth, and, it has to work. A disconnect, even for a few seconds (but especially longer) really creates havoc with streaming servers, especially if you're scored for reliability by 3rd parties.

It's not quite the same as a web server, it's conceptually more like a gaming server except that latency isn't a huge deal. (because the stream isn't full duplex)

• goufgouf Member

Any second opinions on iperweb?

I was at their site, looked good, except that I couldn't order a 2nd IP number. (I run icecast & nginx on port 80)

What applications do you run there?

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Gouf,

You may also want to look at France's OVH offerings.

http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/

For $20 a month you'd be getting 5tb, although their network can range from terrible to excellent.

Thanked by 1[Deleted User]
  • I suggest amerinoc. You won't regret it.

• @gouf said: except that I couldn't order a 2nd IP number.

Open a ticket, it shouldn't be a problem.

@cosmicgate said: I suggest amerinoc. You won't regret it.

If his main audience is in Canada (and/or Europe), I wouldn't recommend Amerinoc (in San Diego) purely for geographical/routing reasons.

• WilliamWilliam Member

Sweden rebooted a few times due to a LVM issue (fixed), but i have no idea about the connection issue (too many PPS maybe?)

:/

Thanked by 1gouf
  • rds100rds100 Member

If your audience is in Canada, why are you looking at european providers? Find something in Canada, i am sure it would be better / more reliable in the long term. Does OVH already sell services in Canada?

• prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@gouf said: he application is shoutcast and icecast. I'd really like it to be in Canada, but Europe is OK too.

Please look also at our BIZ VPS, they came with two ip by default and run on low density nodes with some restrictions. They are perfect for streaming IMHO

http://www.prometeus.net/sito/VPS

Thanked by 1gouf
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@quirkyquark said: I can heartily recommend @prometeus (aka iperweb)

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

alvotech.de is cheap and has a lot of bandwidth (vServer)

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

I got 42 European deals listed on my site, you can use the category drop down to search by continent or individual countries not to mention there's a feature search that can do the same and more. Though since prometeus is European I recommend them too, they're the oldest provider i've listed at 13+ years.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2012

try http://www.statnet.pl/vps/ they are great - they have promo right now (for German location) so they will double the bandwidth

Thanked by 1taipres
  • krokro Member

I second iperweb ;)

• goufgouf Member

Anyone know of a place that rents FreeBSD jails with 2 IP's?

Or, for that matter, someone who has a dedicated box, running FreeBSD, with lots of bandwidth but doesn't use it all? (not FreeBSD, running on a VPS, of course.) that would be willing to rent a jail to me?

EDIS got back to me and suggested it could be PPS. Thanks for the response EDIS! :-)

I've been told that VPS's are perfectly fine (even "ideal") for streaming, when I do it here, in my test environment, everything is fine. But this is the first time I've tried it in production.

Thing is, it happens when I've only got maybe 10 or so listeners, it's not as if there is really all that much traffic. (if you include the incoming streams, then you'd bump it up to 13 connections. NONE of them exceeding 128k, most of them at 64k.

Not very many listeners, and not much traffic, but the connections are persistent and stateful.

I once ran a stream from a FreeBSD jail, with no problems at all. (years ago) FreeBSD jails do seem rather hard to find these days though.

It is a pity that FreeBSD isn't as popular, I use it a lot for other things and I find FreeBSD to be extremely solid.

There are certain things you cannot do from within a BSD jail, but, in this case, the ONLY reason I even need root is to configure & maintain nginx, icecast & maybe a few other things.

I see my connection is down, again. :-(

• rds100rds100 Member

KVM or other real virtualization is not the best choice when it comes to high pps, there is non-negligeable overhead for every packet sent.
    You could get better results for OpenVZ (but then there is conntrack running on the node, which is also not perfect for high pps).
    You can also try linux-vserver (don't know if it uses conntrack or not).

• goufgouf Member

I believe chvps ran OpenVZ, in their setup, the errors would happen fairly frequently, HOWEVER, the recovery time was usually in the ballpark of 30-60 seconds.

Wish it weren't so hard to find FreeBSD these days, a simple jail would work quite well for this. I use FreeBSD on dedicated hardware... a LOT. I've had maybe 3 outages in 4 years.. and they were always from some bone-head mistake that I made. (like trying to run X11 over vnc :-) )

Time was, you could actually rent those fairly easily. (kind of a pain to run shoutcast on FreeBSD, but.. if it actually works, it could be worth it.)

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can give a try with HostVirtual (http://www.vr.org), friend of mine is using them for private streams

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited May 2012

@gouf said: Wish it weren't so hard to find FreeBSD these days, a simple jail would work quite well for this. I use FreeBSD on dedicated hardware... a LOT. I've had maybe 3 outages in 4 years.. and they were always from some bone-head mistake that I made. (like trying to run X11 over vnc :-) )

Its not hard to find FreeBSD, KVM is capable of running it just fine :)

EDIT never mind i just saw your comment about not FreeBSD on a VPS.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@gouf said: It is a pity that FreeBSD isn't as popular, I use it a lot for other things and I find FreeBSD to be extremely solid.

http://vds6.net/ua46/

Thanked by 1gouf
  • goufgouf Member

I've wired up monitoring on all the streams now, (before it was just the 64k, the critical one) I'll see if they ALL fail on the next error.

There's a part of me that is hoping it's something I'm doing wrong.

• ExPl0ReRExPl0ReR Member
    edited May 2012

@gouf said: The key here, is bandwidth, and, it has to work. A disconnect, even for a few seconds (but especially longer) really creates havoc with streaming servers, especially if you're scored for reliability by 3rd parties.

Hi Gouf! Our German infrastructure is located directly at DE-CIX in Frankfurt. Our bandwidth consumption is by far less than 10% of the commitment we signed and most of the resources are idle. Would you like to try your software with one of our linux vserver based VRS series products instead of KVM? If you are interested, just send me your client-id, and a reference to this posting to [email protected] and I will provide you with a server at the location of your choice free of charge for a month.

BTW: we have lots of happy streaming clients in our Austrian, Swiss, German and Swedish locations (but they are mainly serving a European audience). If you provide content to listeners in US / Canada I would definitely recommend our US location in Chicago. Multi gigabit burstable bandwidth and a great location to service North America / Canada.

Cheers,
    Gerhard @ EDIS

Thanked by 2gouf [Deleted User]
  • subinsubin Member

@ExPl0ReR said: BTW: we have lots of happy streaming clients in our Austrian, Swiss, German and Swedish locations (but they are mainly serving a European audience).

How about your UK location? (currently i have one of your VPS in UK)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2012

No one streaming there as far as i know, UK has some route issues (which we can't currently reproduce, waiting for more data) which should be solved in a few days however.

• subinsubin Member

@William said: No one streaming there as far as i know, UK has some route issues

I also have some issue in my UK VPS, it is not streaming. But it involves long live TCP connection.
    Can you also move me to germany? i also contacted you by email if you need my email account.