Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Is it good idea to depend on Ping & Trace results to decide on Provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is it good idea to depend on Ping & Trace results to decide on Provider

praveenpraveen Member

I have a client who is thinking that his site is not giving good speed because of low ping and trace route results compared with some other sites.

Can you please advise, if it is good idea to provide him few IP's from different providers so that he can choose the best one giving him optimal trace route and ping results? because as far I know, this can vary on day to day based on ISP's routing and other factors.

Also I would like to know whether enabling IPtables affect ping speed / trace route results ?

Any advise?

Comments

• IshaqIshaq Member

Low ping is better.

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@praveen said:
    Also I would like to know whether enabling IPtables affect ping speed / trace route results ?

No, it wouldn't change a thing - the uplink is a problem of its own. Giving your client a few IPs to test is a viable option in your case.

Ping and traceroute results are relevant, after all.. you can sometimes end up being surprised of whom a provider is peered with, and it actually explains quite a lot when you get bad speeds.