Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In Linux based cloud Servers, What are best ways to connect & do 'File Management'?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

In Linux based cloud Servers, What are best ways to connect & do 'File Management'?

SammiRoseSammiRose Member

For VPS servers, i am aware of CPanel/Plesk/FTP usage. These can be used for the Linux Based Cloud Servers? Please suggest some for Ubuntu-based cloud hosting servers?

Comments

• SFTP (SSH FTP) can be used for managing the server's files, or if you prefer command line, you can use nano.

Thanked by 1SammiRose
  • shovenoseshovenose Member, Host Rep

Ubuntu is a type of Linux so it should run on most any "Linux cloud server".

• @forthcloud said:
    SFTP (SSH FTP) can be used for managing the server's files, or if you prefer command line, you can use nano.

Thanks for the Answer. Also i have heard a term "SCP" and "RSync" any idea about it

• @shovenose said:
    Ubuntu is a type of Linux so it should run on most any "Linux cloud server".

You have any suggestions for linux Based Cloud Server "File Management", Do let me know plz

• forthcloudforthcloud Member
    edited May 2014

@SammiRose said: Thanks for the Answer. Also i have heard a term "SCP" and "RSync" any idea about it

SCP (secure copy) is a method for transferring files over SSH.

RSync is mainly used for syncing or backups.

Thanked by 1SammiRose
  • @forthcloud said:

Thanks for the prompt reply. its truly helpful

• VirtovoVirtovo Member

Webmin has a web-based file manager and can be installed on any linux distro.

Thanked by 1SammiRose
  • vedranvedran Veteran

Knowledgeable person for the VPS Hosting and Dedicated Servers

Really, and you are asking these questions?

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @>; @vedran said:

Really, and you are asking these questions?

hmmm i am trying to explore topics here. Got this question so started this Discussion

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

rsync. All the way.

rsync is not only a widely-used tool, but it's also fast even on slow connections due to the way it handles transfers. You'll find lots of information about rsync, but the best and most accurate information you can get is on the man page.

• @iceTwy said:
    rsync. All the way.

rsync is not only a widely-used tool, but it's also fast even on slow connections due to the way it handles transfers. You'll find lots of information about rsync, but the best and most accurate information you can get is on the man page.

Your Information Will be useful. Here "Fast" word is exciting. Thanks :)

• iceTwyiceTwy Member

@SammiRose said:
    Your Information Will be useful. Here "Fast" word is exciting. Thanks :)

Well, once you get to understand rsync (it isn't that hard after all), you'll love it. ;)

Thanked by 1SammiRose
  • FlorisFloris Member

I use winSCP for my personal VPS'es.

• csync :D

• WinSCP is a good solution. Webmin also is good solution for beginners Linux users. Its advantage is that use it straight from the browser.

• The only problem of winSCP is that you need wine to run it

Dolphin is much better with builtin sftp support :p

• SFTP so you can use any 'file manager' you like. Quite simple with Ubuntu or any OS and usually enabled by default.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

OP, what exactly are you trying to do?

rsync is great for syncing between servers...but if you want to interactively work with folders/directories, not so much. A desktop SFTP client (e.g., FileZilla) + SFTP is good for that.

Our crystal ball is cloudy...provide more detail.

• publiopublio Member

The most secure file transfer would not involve you logging into the machine using any protocol.

Ubuntu cloud images, as well as Ubuntu images on AWS have cloud-init pre-installed. Using it you can load your files/clone your repository with a script, so you don't have to log on.