Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Web host gives FCC a 28.8Kbps slow lane in net neutrality protest
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Web host gives FCC a 28.8Kbps slow lane in net neutrality protest

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Best...protest...ever. I'd do it but I'd know if they were browsing my pages from their IP space and they're not. Someone get Google on board...

Thanked by 2netomx MCHPhil
  • imagineimagine Member

Fantastic idea, good on NeoCities!

I agree with @jarland, all we need is for a big player to step in and join the protest, come on Google!

Thanked by 1netomx

Hell I tweeted the link to @google. Everything starts somewhere.

Thanked by 2netomx asf
  • @jarland said:
    Hell I tweeted the link to google. Everything starts somewhere.

Would be great to have/start a hashtag for this protest, #ThrottleTheFCC or something more clever.

Thanked by 4jar Magiobiwan netomx asf
  • blackblack Member

So how does this work actually? Links from your site to the FCC gets throttled? So what? Once they're on the FCC site they'll get the unrestricted speeds. Why would you have links to the FCC anyway?

edited May 2014

@black said:
    So how does this work actually? Links from your site to the FCC gets throttled? So what? Once they're on the FCC site they'll get the unrestricted speeds. Why would you have links to the FCC anyway?

It throttles their bandwidth when loading your websites. So if they visit a website with this enabled, slow as hell for them. Get enough sites to join in on this and Monday morning their internet is shot to hell. Reverse DOS? Lol

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

said: Wow!!!

I'm missing the wow.

Seems a pretty empty protest (like most) and I suspect it has more to do with driving Neocities PR.

• elijahpaulelijahpaul Member
    edited May 2014

@raindog308 said:

The 'Wow' was for the great idea. As @jarland mentioned, it needs the big players to get on board, i.e Google, Netflix, Amazon...

• blackblack Member

@elijahpaul said:
    The 'Wow' was for the great idea. As @jarland mentioned, it needs the big players to get on board, i.e Google, Netflix, Amazon

Yeah this is pretty useless unless the bigger sites get involved, mainly the outbound links of FCC sites.

• nerouxneroux Member

raindog308 said: I'm missing the wow.

Seems a pretty empty protest (like most) and I suspect it has more to do with driving Neocities PR.

Exactly, this is more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

@neroux said:
    Exactly, this is more of a publicity stunt than anything else.

I mean someone has to start everything though. It's not always true that the person with influence starts a protest that their presence completes.

Thanked by 2netomx Dylan
  • hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited May 2014

"Oh no, NeoCities is running slow" - said no FCC employee ever

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

I don't think their aim is to just slow neocities home page... Yes, they want pr, but they provided the code for other sites to do the same. Hopefully this gains momentum from their tiny start.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

This can be done with other companies which are throttling, when their subscribers will start to be throttled in many places, they will switch to another provider.

Thanked by 2jar MCHPhil
  • nerouxneroux Member

BluBoy said: they provided the code for other sites to do the same.

The "code" is six configuration statements for six alleged FCC subnets.

BluBoy said: Hopefully this gains momentum from their tiny start.

Dont get me wrong, it all sounds very romantic and very Robin Hoodesque but in reality will be useless. Even if two or three other sites (maybe even slightly larger) will do this, does anyone really think the interests behind the telecom companies will suddenly drop their plans to better monetise modern communication just because a random FCC employee cant watch the newest HD video in full speed? Lets be realistic for once please. Very romantic and very Robin Hoodesque but a mere PR stunt.

People want to show their protest? Compile a list of companies supporting and endorsing the throttling and check if you have a contract with them. If so, cancel and get everyone else to do the same. But of course this would require taking action. Clicking a random Like button is easier to show one's outrage .....

• OflameoOflameo Member

Now I want to get a website up just to say that I throttled FCC. I already owe them one for the existence of HAM Radio.