Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Virtualization on your laptop - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Virtualization on your laptop

13»

Comments

• Totally support & recommend the Oracle VirtualBox for your VMs on Windows 7 Desktops.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • hdpixelhdpixel Member

Virtualbox with a fast usb 3.0 drive. It rocks!

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Well, I got a new monitor sh and found out my old igel winestra thin client wasnt really working with its max resolution in Debian so I had to adapt and added a desktop to my proxmox test server.
    So far everything works dandy, in spite of being an E-450 on the Brazos platform. So, since the original thread, virtualization went far, you can now do all kinds of weird combinations even with low end CPUs.

• Use XEN with graphics card and IO passthrough. True native virtualization.

But if that's not possible, VMware is much faster than VirtualBox in terms of graphics, IO, and much less CPU overhead.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

I am not sure about that, used both player and se versions of those and I didnt notice much of a difference. It could be faster a bit, but not much.

• This is quite an old thread which I have not followed much. Anyway-

If you are looking for a linux laptop or desktop for that matter- don't get one with nvidia or ati graphics. You will have a hard time with those closed source drivers. Sadly with amd cpus now- they always have ati graphics built in. Not suprising since amd have bought ati.

So for default- only the intel graphics with intel cpus (without any ati / nvidia graphics bundle) are what you should buy if you plan to get a linux computer. Also watch out for the virtualization flags in cpu which you need.

So my setup now- my older laptops are thinkpads sl410 with an old core2duo but with virt flags. My new one is quite cheap but has an i7. As for virtualization- I have tried kvm before but in my work right now- we are trying docker in ubuntu 14.04- which is a light weight container instead of virtualization.

• I mostly agree with @vampireJ above, with the caveat that some Intel GPUs are from a different series. The PowerVR GPUs from Intel have terrible Linux support and should be avoided. They mostly come with Atoms: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_GMA#PowerVR_GPU_based