Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are laptops and desktop computers becoming obsolete? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Are laptops and desktop computers becoming obsolete?

2»

Comments

• I don't think laptops and desktops will become obsolete, but they might become more expensive.

Personally for a portable computer I would be interested in a clamshell/tablet/handheld hybrid device. Something like the Smart Book but more powerful. It would be pretty sweet to be able to use the same computer in all three forms.

• @raindog308 said:
    Though personally I would hate this...if I can't replace and customize hardware and software, it sucks.

SOC is becoming the standard - intel will soon only be selling cpus integrated to mobo because of $$ and performance efficiencies (server market is different but will probably follow too)

agreed - pcs have already been overtaken in sales volume but while their role is changing the need for them isnt going away anytime soon. the pc is simply too powerful to replace so easily.

• @jarland said:
    For now :)

You mean - until laser keyboards will be a mainstream?

• TheRedFoxTheRedFox Member
    edited May 2014

I still have my old thinkpad with an ALPS notebook keyboard, nothing beats that for serious work :D

And at home i always will have my nice desktop with a corsair vengeance K60 with cherry mx red switches! Lovely to game with, no touchscreen/console controller can beat that :d

• VPNVPN Member
    edited May 2014

I'm a hardcore PC gamer. My desktop won't be obsolete for sometime to come yet.

That's why I got into the GSP business.

• mihhamihha Member

rds100 said: not for serious work. Serious work is done with mechanical keyboard, and i expect this to be true for a few years more. Or at least until computer-human mind reading interfaces become common

Exactly that!

• FritzFritz Veteran

No.

• J1021J1021 Member

I can't see tablets replacing computers any time soon. I would like to see more sync technology used between tablets and computers though.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider
    edited May 2014

I don't think tablets will ever fully replace computers, especially in the workplace. I believe they will definitely be put into use in different ways as time progresses, but I don't believe the portability of the tablet has a big enough advantage over the portability of a laptop to be replacing them.