Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Datacenter building - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Datacenter building

2»

Comments

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

Let's be serious guys.

This is your LowEndDatacenter shopping list:

1. Building
      £239.99, free delivery.

2. Power:
      £19.99. You might need a couple though, depending on the distance from your back door to the datacenter.

3. Cooling:
      Open the doors.

4. Fire Suppression:
      Rain.

5. Connectivity.
      Bonded ADSL, might cost about £30/month.
      Depending on offers on, you might get free installation.

6. Security:
      May cost about £20/month. Depending on food.

• @liam said: @elliotj What about servers?

I bet you could put a ton of Rasperry PIs in that house

Thanked by 1maxexcloo
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

@ElliotJ said: Let's be serious guys.

How many time I need to tell you to not talk about ballsvps operations and plans! :-(

Thanked by 1Liam
  • ElliotJElliotJ Member

@liam said: @elliotj What about servers?

Now that's a trade secret, one so mind blowing you would lose all faith in the hosting industry, as well as humanity in general.

• CVPS_ChrisCVPS_Chris Member, Patron Provider

@William said: Around 200m2 of good space - You don't need more money for this (and if you do you overpay, even with raised floors and N+1 AC)

William your nuts if you really think you can build a DC for $100k. You wouldnt be able to sell the space, no one would want to be there that actually plans on being a reliable and good company.

• AldryicAldryic Member

You have to shell more than 100k just for good land in the city here, let alone construction.

• vedranvedran Veteran

I'm quite sure 100k doesn't include building or buying the actual building.

• There was that DC that used cardboard boxes instead of cases, I am sure you could use some of them when building your own datacenter.

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2012

@CVPS_Chris said: William your nuts if you really think you can build a DC for $100k.

No one spoke about BUILDING - My price does NOT include:

Rent / build of the building itself
    Work on walls and floor itself (fortification/hardening)
    Any construction measures besides adding AC and Power
    Power substations
    The Generator
    No Racks

Give me 100k and rent a building and i get it done in 4 weeks :)

@William said: Give me 100k and rent a building and i get it done in 4 weeks :)

I wouldnt waste my money on something that will fail. Id rather go throw 100k on a single number in roulette and hope it hits, my odds would be better.

Do it right the first time, or dont consider it at all :)

• AldryicAldryic Member

@William said: No one spoke about BUILDING - My price does NOT include:

Rent / build of the building itself
    Work on walls and floor itself (fortification/hardening)
    Any construction measures besides adding AC and Power
    Power substations
    The Generator
    No Racks

Give me 100k and rent a building and i get it done in 4 weeks :)

So what you're really saying is that for 100k you could setup a new floor in an existing DC.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@CVPS_Chris said: Do it right the first time, or dont consider it at all :)

Not always that cut and dry, my dayjob is a 15+ year existing small DC, and we have brought it upto being current over time, but it was still under 100k to get there. Last mod was upgrading the entire power system, upgraded generator, added UPS and switch the building from 220v to 480v.

• is the OP serious? or ....

• AldryicAldryic Member

@miTgiB said: but it was still under 100k to get there

Parts were a lot cheaper in the 70s? :P

Though seriously, I imagine the 'over time' approach would be much cheaper, especially with an established site. The cost you paid for materials 10 years ago is likely much lower than the same materia now. You probably could cut away a good chunk of the cost from pre-existing or prior-purchase gear that's still perfectly serviceable.

• WilliamWilliam Member

@Aldryic said: So what you're really saying is that for 100k you could setup a new floor in an existing DC.

Basically, plus getting power in it, getting generators precabled, power switching infrastructure and UPS systems.
    As i said:

@William said: Even for a cheap DC you can't factor under 100k EUR

You are at around that what FDC has then.

@miTgiB said: Not always that cut and dry, my dayjob is a 15+ year existing small DC, and we have brought it upto being current over time, but it was still under 100k to get there. Last mod was upgrading the entire power system, upgraded generator, added UPS and switch the building from 220v to 480v.

Im just saying that if Im going to do anything is going to be like this:

And chillers like this:

Im not interested in anything falling short of that.

• @ElliotJ said: £19.99. You might need a couple though, depending on the distance from your back door to the datacenter.

Why run it to your house?