Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do you charge more for XEN?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why do you charge more for XEN?

taiprestaipres Member
edited May 2012 in General

I understand you can't oversell with XEN is that the main reason you charge more for it over OpenVZ(Since you can oversell with OpenVZ)? Real talk.

Comments

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

Xen uses more resources, reserves RAM so you have to undersell and is harder to manage.

Also you can't over commit,

Thanked by 1Asim
  • AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

32GB Node OpenVZ you could sell e.g. 30 1GB VPS or 60 1GB VPS or even 90 or 120 1GB VPS

With Xen you can maybe sell 29 1GB VPS

Xen is a more (going to get jumped on for this) Honest service.

Thanked by 1Asim
  • @AnthonySmith said: With Xen you can maybe sell 29 1GB VPS

Nah, I'd say 28GB.

Thanked by 1Asim

Well on a 32GB Node xen itself is going to use around 400 - 450MB Ram + 2GB reserved for Dom0, so yeah ... 29GB

edited May 2012

@AnthonySmith said: Well on a 32GB Node xen itself is going to use around 400 - 450MB Ram + 2GB reserved for Dom0, so yeah ... 29GB

But you've then got to leave some RAM for anything else that may run on the server, e.g. SolusVM services, backups, update etc.

Although I suppose you could swap them programs, but its going to be slow.

Well they all pretty much run under the Dom0 (2GB) and then there is an additional 500 - 550MB on top that XEN did not gobble up :)

• @AnthonySmith said: Xen is a more (going to get jumped on for this) Honest service.

+1. A Xen from even the shittiest provider is going to have decent "hardware" performance.

• @quirkyquark said: +1. A Xen from even the shittiest provider is going to have decent "hardware" performance.

I think Xen on an Intel Atom is probably going to be worst then an OpenVZ on an Xeon even if oversold.

• rds100rds100 Member

@Daniel it would be hard, there are almost no Atoms supporting hardware virtualization.

• @rds100 said: @Daniel it would be hard, there are almost no Atoms supporting hardware virtualization.

I thought Xen PV doesn't require virtualization extensions?

• rds100rds100 Member

@Daniel not sure. I will try it these days, i think i have a spare atom somewhere.

• This is an easy question to answer. The bottom line (in purely abstract terms) is that Xen is a "premium" virtualisation technology that providers better performance than OpenVZ. To obtain this premium level of performance, a high standard of/investment in hardware is required along with a certain skill set from the provider.

• @Daniel said: I thought Xen PV doesn't require virtualization extensions?

Correct. It doesn't. Only HVM does.

• @Jonny_Evorack said: that providers better performance than OpenVZ.

OpenVZ has better performance then Xen, since there is zero overhead on OpenVZ, however this only applies in an environment where the node has not been overcommitted.

• edited May 2012

@Daniel said: OpenVZ has better performance then Xen, since there is zero overhead on OpenVZ, however this only applies in an environment where the node has not been overcommitted.

Given that each node is nearly empty, then yes, you are correct. However my post was in purely abstract terms. We you start to load a node, you start to see the true benefits of Xen in action, as Xen provides for really good isolation between customers, leading to a better performance. The term "overcommitted" is subjective and relative. If a Xen node and an OpenVZ node each had X number of VPSes (of the same spec), you would probably find that the Xen node coped better.

• @Daniel said: I think Xen on an Intel Atom is probably going to be worst then an OpenVZ on an Xeon even if oversold.

I assumed the physical nodes will/would have similar specs.

@Daniel said: OpenVZ has better performance then Xen, since there is zero overhead on OpenVZ, however this only applies in an environment where the node has not been overcommitted.

This is a non-sequitur, Daniel. Anyone who just wants to run a basic stock LAMP setup, if they have half a grey cell, will go with OpenVZ instead of Xen.

You want to grind a non-committed OpenVZ to its knees? Try doing something on each container that requires lots and lots of inodes. In that case, even a Xen PV on Atom will beat the OpenVZ on E3-1270 ;)

• @quirkyquark said: You want to grind a non-committed OpenVZ to its knees? Try doing something on each container that requires lots and lots of inodes. In that case, even a Xen PV on Atom will beat the OpenVZ on E3-1270 ;)

Well, ploop will fix the OpenVZ inode issue :)

• AsimAsim Member

@Daniel said: I thought Xen PV doesn't require virtualization extensions?

Yes it doesn't. I tried that a few months ago

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@Asim said: Yes it doesn't. I tried that a few months ago

It doesn't need VT but it needs custom kernel drivers to boot :P

Francisco

• @Francisco said: It doesn't need VT but it needs custom kernel drivers to boot :P

Not any more. These extensions are now in the mainline Linux kernel. So in theory, any Linux distro using a fairly recent kernel will be bootable on Xen PV :P

• antivenantiven Member

Is it really impossible to oversell Xen? I've read on other forums (ex. WHT) that it is possible.

• @antiven said: Is it really impossible to oversell Xen? I've read on other forums (ex. WHT) that it is possible.

You can balloon,

• Ash_HawkridgeAsh_Hawkridge Member
    edited May 2012

@Daniel said: You can balloon,

I don't think you can oversell Xen full stop when using SolusVM. Just my thought though, im not an expert with Xen.

edited May 2012

@VMPort said: I don't think you can oversell Xen full stop when using SolusVM. Just my thought though, im not an expert with Xen.

I think SolusVM prevents you from creating more Xen VPS then available RAM, but you can still enable ballooning, but sort of useless.

• corpuscorpus Member

32GB Node OpenVZ you could sell e.g. 30 1GB VPS or 60 1GB VPS or even 90 or 120 1GB VPS With Xen you can maybe sell 29 1GB VPS

Is the same with KVM?

• LV_MattLV_Matt Member
    edited May 2012

@corpus said: Is the same with KVM?

With KVM you can over commit on RAM however I personally wouldn't advise it, I can be done but out of personal preference I wouldn't.

Here is a snippet from OnApps guide which explains overheads in a pretty simple way if you are wondering (best I could find at short notice):

A memory overhead is the amount of memory that a hypervisor itself is using besides the memory allocated to virtual machines. Its size depends on the number of virtual CPUs, VMs guest memory, and includes memory allocated to Xen Dom0.

Example calculation:
    >

XEN memory overhead consists of the following parts:

Dom0 memory (400 Mb).. This is a standard value.
    64 Mb for Xen itself.
    1 Mb for each virtual CPU
    8 Kb for each 1 Mb of virtual machine RAM
    >

If we have 1 VM with 2 Gb Ram and 4 virtual CPUs, then:

Dom0 memory = 400Mb +64Mb (this is a standard minimum value, though you can allocate more)
    1Mb x 4 vCPUs = 4
    2048 x 8/1024 = 16
    XEN memory overhead = 464 + 4 + 16 = 484 Mb
    >

The calculation is the same for KVM hypervisors.

SOURCE: https://help.onapp.com/manual.php?s=faa2d7eb91db288fbf4175fc36e7ce41&print=1635

• @Daniel said: You can balloon,

Yes, but Xen ballooning requires the cooperation of a driver (kernel module) in the guest, and if you fear this just compile a custom kernel (or not load) xen_balloon. ;)