Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server hacked?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server hacked?

vahevahe Member
edited May 2012 in General

Hey guys, need some help here.
How can I know if my server got hacked? Somehow I think php-fpm was removed, and i noticed it when i got a 502 bad gateway with nginx.

Any advice what logs to check?

Comments

• SpencerSpencer Member
    edited May 2012

SSH in and type "history" and see if there are any unusual commands. If so type "tail /var/log/auth.log -n 100" to see your SSH login along with other things. But I doubt a hacker would uninstall something like php-fpm. They don't want to be noticed and that is obvious. php-fpm prob just crashed.

• vahevahe Member

I don't think it crashed, since the package doesn't exist anymore.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

You didn't state which distro, but either yum or apt should keep a long you can see. Perhaps it was removed during some other package operation?

Just guessing.

• vahevahe Member

Nevermind, I think it just crashed. I think the processes were php-cgi and the service was php5-cgi, instead I was searching for php5-fpm...

Thanks for hints.
    @PytoHost Thanks for suggesting using history, I discovered that the service was actually php5-cgi.

• vldvld Member

@PytoHost said: SSH in and type "history" and see if there are any unusual commands. If so type "tail /var/log/auth.log -n 100" to see your SSH login along with other things.

You do realize a hacker that managed to get root access (you're mentioning history) will, by reflex, delete all the logs that concern him, right?

• Not true vld. Well, hackers, I'd agree. Script kiddies, not always.

• I agree that it's not always true about script kiddies, but disagree about hackers, they would.

• premisopremiso Member
    edited May 2012

Oh hai!

Remember kiddies, you are not hackers until you are over 25. That is all.

You do realize that I could have just wrote this part prior to posting, but editing it seemed to be better, right?