Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How many of you really need a Pure SSD VPS? - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How many of you really need a Pure SSD VPS?

13»

Comments

• GelHostGelHost Member

Well I'm definitely happy people want to work with SSD, we have rolled the package out for SSD :)

• alexh said: I was under the assumption that the whole hosting market was interested in this new technology.

Well now see, here's the problem . . . you don't run Call of Duty servers, so you couldn't possibly understand the benefits of spinning disks and how they match the performance of SSDs.

You are forgiven!

• sleddogsleddog Member

For the vast majority of users SSD has a marvelous placebo effect.

For a small minority it's actually beneficial :)

• @Microlinux said:

Stop quoting out of context. All I said was in most of the cases you do not need SSDs if your HDD is not overloaded by around 100 people on the node.

• alexhalexh Member

@sleddog said:
    For the vast majority of users SSD has a marvelous placebo effect.

For a small minority it's actually beneficial :)

I would recommend anyone switch an HDD in their desktop to SSD though. OS re-installation, boot, shutdown, hibernate, and random task switching will be noticeably faster. I adopted in 2010, and even with several drives dying due to controller/firmware issues, I never switched back.

• @alexh said:
    I would recommend anyone switch an HDD in their desktop to SSD though. OS re-installation, boot, shutdown, hibernate, and random task switching will be noticeably faster. I adopted in 2010, and even with several drives dying due to controller/firmware issues, I never switched back.

^ this, I have a Crucial M4 in my laptop and I couldn't go back to a 5400RPM drive. Now I just need to get around to swapping the DVD drive for a HDD caddy so I can put a backup drive in there

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited May 2014

l

@K2Bytes said:
    All I said was in most of the cases you do not need SSDs if your HDD is not overloaded by around 100 people on the node.

I know, it's an obvious statement. If your I/O requirements don't exceed what spinning disks can provide, then the spinning disks will work fine, and will continue to do so until they die.

On the other hand, if a sane person builds a new system they would likely pick the most reliable, efficient and performant solution that fits their budget. For small storage, that is not a spinning disk.