Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why VPS are so cheap here as compared to hostgator/site5/godaddy etc? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Why VPS are so cheap here as compared to hostgator/site5/godaddy etc?

2»

Comments

• @Jack said:
    Some like to lick windows on buses.

Only if its strawberry flavored! yum

• /me looks over and giggles

• @Jack said:
    Some like to lick windows on buses.

Can you stop stalking me! Get over it.

• @Jack said:
    Na the buses keep getting in the way.

Go DDoS a competitor like you did before or give me a break and stalk Patrick for a few weeks.

• LordSpockLordSpock Member, Host Rep

The bigger hosts, they generally are there for people who are either new to the trade or quite inexperienced... also bigger companies use them due to their executives trust bigger names more... ah well.

• @serverian said:
    /me looks over and giggles

INB4 member without signature time ;)

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited May 2014

@viCommunications said:
    They're much larger and generally have better infrastructure in place than most hosts.

This. I can grow lemons and open a lemonade stand that sells it for less than the lemonade available in Walmart, but I can't hire anyone for you to complain to when I've reached the point where I have no more free time available, and when you sue me I'll likely go out of business.

Small businesses are fine and sustainable but you'll notice that when they grow large they always end up restructuring and that's because they learn what happens at scale. If you make a business to grow, don't expect to run the hometown corner store forever. You do your best but reality sets in and you can't always mass produce the experience.

That of course isn't the only reason, and it isn't a jab at small business, it's just that there's a lot that goes into running a large business that sustains itself with proper legal departments, human resources, support staff, etc. I mean how many hosts here have a human resources director, and how many big companies could stand without one? The needs begin to scale differently at some point.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited May 2014

Small businesses are the core of the economy. Not only that they employ the most people, they pay the most taxes and they also have the highest growth rates even in time of crisis: http://www.economist.com/node/13702955, but also provide best experience t the customer, simply because they can offer person to person like dealings. It is the big ones that make the policy, evade taxes and try to strangle the little ones, but capitalism survives due to the small ones, they generate the money to bail out the big ones.
    Now, specifics:
    Prometeus/iperweb makes profit, owns gear costing hundreds of thousands and constantly expands (though not as fast as others because it is done only using this business side income, not piggybacking on the other) This is why we are most of the time low on stock, and recently it was because the expansion was mainly in the iwstack sector.
    While not having live chat, there is someone on all the time to watch the performance and reply tickets, even though the tickets can get delayed a few hours because the watch guard is doing something else and will only intervene if there is some emergency. All orders (except most of the free stuff) are approved manually after checks (and even so some fakers manage to sneak in), we have some of the lowest blacklistings in the industry (check 34971 compared with other popular providers here: http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php as well as some other places), host some 3000 VPSes and 1000+ more in the cloud with more than 2000 active customers. We push-pull real (non-dos) traffic at half a mil pps and 2 gbps in a calm moment like now and can go up ten times in turbulent times, even overwhelming 40 gbps lines and starting to fill the back-ups in rare events.
    Income from this business only is some 20k Eur before taxes (includes VAT we pay to Italian state), which means an average of some 5 Eur per VPS, about the LEB 7 $. All leasings expired and we buy all gear in full since at least 1 year. Currently 4 people are providing support and do some work, but mainly Salvatore does the technical part, 2 more are doing the emergency maintenance during the night or when Salvatore is not available as well as answer and solve most tickets. The 4th one handles billing and finances/accounting.
    While this side of the business started in 2012, the companies are much older, even the US branch dates from 1997.
    That is mostly statistical data, but what matters is the direct experience, that is where small companies do best. Good customers get a lot of attention, not only free stuff and upgrades, while big companies concentrate on getting new customers and offer promos the old ones cant get, we offer perks and special attention to the old customers, expansion is not the main objective, we do it at a sustainable rate, there comes a point where you can no longer maintain all this stuff with only a few people friends and you cant just hire someone and trust will do good, wont steal the data or create security breaches. A small business remains agile and appealing as long as it remains small, you wont find big capitalists here or pump-and-dump schemes, heavy advertising and crappy gear, that side of the market is already doing fine without us.

• @Maounique said:

Good read.

Thanked by 2Maounique TriDoxiuM
    edited May 2014

OK, now, to the overselling part:
    Let's take the latest offers, www.xenpower.com They are powered by 128-192 GB ram dual E5 hex cores with 24 threads, 12 enterprise SATA drives in raid 10 with 1 GB cache controller, and a couple of SSD nodes with the same number of drives and controller, only this time SSD.
    We have no real stock on those, so all nodes are full.
    In this case people say network and disk are oversold, lets see.

"dd test" on SATA full node (2 gb to get out of the cache):

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=32k conv=fdatasync
    32768+0 records in
    32768+0 records out
    2147483648 bytes (2.1 GB) copied, 7.25235 seconds, 296 MB/s

ioping:

./ioping . -c 25
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=1 time=3.7 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=2 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=3 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=4 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=5 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=6 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=7 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=8 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=9 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=10 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=11 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=12 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=13 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=14 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=15 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=16 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=17 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=18 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=19 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=20 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=21 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=22 time=0.0 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=23 time=0.2 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=24 time=0.1 ms
    4096 bytes from . (ext3 /dev/root): request=25 time=0.1 ms

wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model :        Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E5-2620 v2 @ 2.10GHz
    Number of cores : 24
    CPU frequency :  2100.002 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 2575 MB
    Total amount of swap : 8189 MB
    System uptime :   114 days, 8:07,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 67.7MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 5.27MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 12.4MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.05MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 23.5MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 19.7MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 6.81MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 10.9MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 10.4MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 18.9MB/s
    I/O speed :  253 MB/s

If someone else wants, can do the same for OVerZold, our other budget brand.

Thanked by 2hostnoob kyaky
  • BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

Most low-end hosts provide strictly self-managed services. Perhaps the other more expensive providers you've cited provide a greater degree of hands-on assistance.

It depends what you mean by management. From what I know Godaddy wont be hardening your server for free, nor will they apply updates, for example. Phone and live chat support, yeah, that is something that many LE providers dont do, still I saw the prices are 4 times higher than the average here and godaddy is not flawless, they had outages too. With 10 $ a month you get a 1 GB solid server with Xen/KVM and plenty of storage. you may not get ssl certificate or 3 IPv4, but you have IPv6, at times /64.

• these companies which prices are so high like Godaddy , Site5 , Ipage ... etc , gives you Real resources , much stable services ... you can get 100% uptime , no auto restart , higher security , no sudden movements to another servers ...

I bet i can find any day a german company that makes crappier products than the best chinese ones. Does that mean the Chinese produce better quality? There are big companies that offer crappy products at big prices. GoDaddy is one of them.

Thanked by 2Dylan ihatetonyy
  • @Maounique = WALL OF TEXT master.

Thanked by 2Silvenga Maounique
  • The prices of these big companies are very high because they are reliable & consistent they also put a lot of money in marketing & advertising. So we find a huge difference in their prices.

• The price of hardware has come down over the years. Modern VPS vendors reflect that. Legacy hosting vendors don't.

Thanked by 1ad0
  • ad0ad0 Member
    edited August 2014

Even if they provide guaranteed resources they still are overpriced. You can get a Kimisufi dedicated server with their price still far more better

A 512mb ram dedicated is even a joke

The important part is how good hostgator network is that could only make the difference and not thier guaranteed resources it make no difference since its little resource

• BrianHarrisonBrianHarrison Member, Patron Provider

The major companies you've listed also typically provide a lot more "hand-holding" and management services than your average low-end host on LET. Man hours spent fielding technical support inquiries and walking customers through processes is not cheap.