Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CloudFlare & illegal websites - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

CloudFlare & illegal websites

2»

Comments

• File sharing isn't really a victimless crime once you start making money from ad revenue etc. Personally I am against anti-file sharing laws unless someone is trying to profit from someone else's IP without permission. I think OP is well within their right to take down the file(s).

• CakeyCakey Member

William said: I bet on a Voxility IP.

Got to love voxility... Only thing I like about them is that they don't allow booters but hacking forums, warez sites etc yea that's just fine to them

• DylanDylan Member

As it says on the abuse form they're not going to respond to your report if you're not an authorized agent of the copyright holder. That's standard DMCA policy for just about any service provider.

Thanked by 1Cakey
  • @Cakey said:
    But yea, why are you doing all of this?

One of my old teachers (which was one of my best teachers) is an part-time author and they are selling his book on the platform. I called him and showed him the website. He spotted his work a few times in other boards and abused the links which went fine but also knowing at the long run he can't do anything against pirating. He was ok with that somehow.

This website on the other hand made him very earnest since they sell it and make profit with it. He totally does not agree to this way of pirating. I want to assist because of the complexity.

He talked to his lawyer and he was like it nearly impossible to do something about it. It is just not worth to take legal actions. CloudFlare is in the US, god knows where the datacenter is located etc.

At least he wants to try this way.

• @Dylan said:
    As it says on the abuse form they're not going to respond to your report if you're not an authorized agent of the copyright holder. That's standard DMCA policy for just about any service provider.

Yupp, we recognized that.

Our thought was to make one general report in my name and one which was also sent in his name as coypright holder to draw more attention to this case.

• @William said:

I was also thinking of voxility. Good prices, good and stable network, DDOS protection (a project like this need that) and in many ways bulletproof for projects like that.

What I can't understand is that Romania is in the EU since 2007 and the EU has even own copyright laws. Why isn't it strictly enforced?

• You want to correspond with them as your professor or someone with permission and representing your professor. I also doubt you'll get much movement on the e-mail, they are busy.

• CakeyCakey Member
    edited May 2014

@ecircuit said:
    At least he wants to try this way.

Well from a person who owns a forum that leaks Ebooks made by kids from another community, it's extremely hard to take down stuff like this unless you pay your lawyers good and he knows where to look, and even then he will most likely fail. CloudFlare won't bother one bit nor give you any more clues than the host they're using.

• @AThomasHowe said:

Like I said he is corrospending with them as copyright holder simultaneously. I see him regularly, we participate in the same bowling club :-)

• Yeah they just probably won't deal with you in any capacity I meant, they're hesitant enough as it is heh.

Anyway hope you get it sorted.

Thanked by 1ecircuit
  • WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2014

ecircuit said: What I can't understand is that Romania is in the EU since 2007 and the EU has even own copyright laws. Why isn't it strictly enforced?

The EU itself has no copyright laws, only frameworks - The laws itself are dependant on the country (ex. Spain, the framework simply does not apply then, same as for example Nuclear power ones don't apply to Austria)

Thanked by 1ecircuit