Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 questions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 questions

2»

Comments

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2012

@FRCorey said: You can assign a /64 to the user, but if they block you for doing something shady on one of the ip's under that /64, you'll l use everything under that /64. They might do a host block, but I doubt it.

You can assign a /128 to the user, but if they block you for doing something shady on one of the /128 IPs, it will be still blocked everything under that /64 - so it makes no much difference for host with own /48 but makes difference for client with assigned /64 who do not get blocked because some other client abused IP from his own /64 allocation.
    With individual /128 addresses you put all clients in same basket while with /64 for each client you make them responsible for own /64 subnet without affecting other users.

• efballefball Member

Initially the user gets one IP as usual, let's say 2001:db8::100, and the host also does
    something like the following on their host node or the IPv6 router:
    ip -6 route add 2001:db8:1:2::/64 via 2001:db8::100
    Then that user can use any IP from 2001:db8:1:2::/64 within their VPS at will.

That generates this error: "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument"
    I can do a: ip -6 route add 2001:db8:1:2::/64 dev eth0
    but all that does is create an redundant route that already existed.
    The Individual IPs still have to be added before they work.

• taiprestaipres Member

@FRCorey said: You can assign a /64 to the user, but if they block you for doing something shady on one of the ip's under that /64, you'll l use everything under that /64. They might do a host block, but I doubt it.

I'm sure that'll probably become standard practice but it seems like such a waste. All those awesome IPv6's blocked, they might as well just hand out individual ones like IPv4 if hosts are going to net block.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

@efball said: That generates this error: "RTNETLINK answers: Invalid argument"

This needs to be done on the host node or on the router side. Also you have mangled the line I gave, likely due to not understanding what it actually does.
    But then yes, you will have to add individual IPs inside the VPS before they work (the ones you will actually use). And you get to chose which ones, from a /64 that is all yours.

@taipres said: All those awesome IPv6's blocked, they might as well just hand out individual ones like IPv4 if hosts are going to net block.

Hosts ARE going to "net block", no one is going to block per /128.
    Point is that when they "net block", the "net" better be something that only belongs to the troublemaking user, not the net where all other VPS users of that provider also reside.

• taiprestaipres Member

@rm_ said: Point is that when they "net block", the "net" better be something that only belongs to the troublemaking user, not the net where all other VPS users of that provider also reside.

That is a problem yes, and is another reason I find it unfortunate. More so that many many ips are going to blocked all at once just because of 1 offending IP.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited May 2012

This is just how the things work in IPv6, basically "a user" no longer means 1 IP, it means one /64 subnet -- because that's what every home ISP gives out (and the good ones among them give more). And no one is going to contact every particular VPS provider to find out if they give out a /112 or "15x IPv6" to a user. Spam (and other, e.g. IRC) blocking will be per /64.

• taiprestaipres Member

@rm_ said: This is just how the things work in IPv6, basically "a user" no longer means 1 IP, it means one /64 subnet -- because that's what every home ISP gives out (and the good ones among them give more). And no one is going to contact every particular VPS provider to find out if they give out a /112 or "15x IPv6" to a user. Spam (and other, e.g. IRC) blocking will be per /64.

Yeah I get it, I just don't agree with it :P

• @rm_ said: That is correct, and AFAIK only Evorack does it right at the moment, and provides a /64 per VPS

Indeed we do :) We take IPv6 very seriously