Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Connecting to Netflix US
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Connecting to Netflix US

nimdynimdy Member
edited May 2012 in General

Hi all. I've been using my US VPNs to access Netflix US. There is so much on the US site that isnt on the UK version!

I'd like to give access to friends and family too. At the moment I use Putty on my pc and set up a socks connection over SSH to the VPS (and make firefox connect to the local socks connection - 127.0.0.1:5151).

Is there an easy way I can give my friends access to the US site on their accounts? Can I set something up on the VPS so they can enter my VPS IP into their proxy settings?

Comments

• Well insted of having them use your proxy for everything, id recommend you just make a pac file for them, then it would only use your proxy for the sites that you set.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_auto-config

• TaylorTaylor Member

PPTP vpn would seem very simple each person gets a user name and password and it works with IOS and windows very easily, have you considered it?

Thanked by 1TheHackBox
  • nimdynimdy Member

@Taylor
    Yup got one of those already. I could give them a login and set it up for them, but I fear they would forget to switch it off and send all traffic through PPTP. At least with the proxy solution I could set up the proxy on a browser they dont often use (say Chrome), and tell them "if you want Netflix US, use Chrome, for anything else, use IE/FF".

• Just make a user for each one of them on your VPS for Socks, and setup a .bat (or .sh for OSX/Mac) file that creates the SSH connection, and just have Firefox set to always use the socks.

• Open VPN access server would be the most user friendly option. You could do the openvpn os and just send them the .openvpn file which they can import to openvpn client.

• TaylorTaylor Member
    edited May 2012

@BassHost said: Open VPN access server would be the most user friendly option. You could do the openvpn os and just send them the .openvpn file which they can import to openvpn client

Like he said, it would be to easy for them to "forget to switch it off and send all traffic through VPN"

• nimdynimdy Member

I think I'll go with Daniel's solution. I've been able to set up a shortcut that launches a putty saved connection and logs in. I'll just package that up with a batch file, a copy of the putty.exe and a .reg with the connection settings.