Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Selling Google Apps Email
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Selling Google Apps Email

nimdynimdy Member

I've seen many threads asking for domains with grandfathered Google Apps on them. I just wondered what people do with 100-200 user accounts? Do you sell email to clients or give them away to friends and family? What would be the legality of me buying a domain then offering people personalised email with their own domain for say $5 a month?

Comments

• earlearl Member

Google apps is $5/mo per user or $50/yr..

• nimdynimdy Member

I was thinking more of buying a 100 user account domain for say $30 then offering people 10 email addresses under their own personalised domain for $20 a year. They save $480 and I make my money back after selling to a couple of users.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited May 2014

It's illegal unless you're authorized reseller.

Except as expressly authorized by Google or other proper third party rights holders, you agree not to modify, rent, lease, loan, sell, distribute or create derivative works based on Content, Google services or Software, in whole or in part except as specifically authorized in a separate written agreement.

http://www.google.si/enterprise/apps/business/landing/partners/resellers/

• earlearl Member
    edited May 2014

If it was me I would much rather buy the domain with google apps for $30 then pay $20/yr for 10 accounts..

• sleddogsleddog Member

nimdy said: I was thinking more of buying a 100 user account domain for say $30 then offering people 10 email addresses under their own personalised domain for $20 a year.

As @Spirit says, it's against the terms of service.

Don't be shocked when Google pulls the plug -- which they're gonna do eventually for all free google apps.

• sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited May 2014

Other than email, what part of the Google apps offerings are desirable and critical? I have a grandfathered account used for a small business (20 employees) and it was really revolutionary when they introduced it; everyone was either hosting their own on linux and using squirrel mail as the front end or using some Windows Enterprise solution that was really expensive.

Hosting your own email servers, at least when google introduced google apps, really sucked. Spamassasin was a PIA to set up and so was getting all the components of the email solution working together (postfix, sendmail, etc). Not to mention hosting was expensive - the whole VPS market was immature at the time and the offerings were mostly unstable and not cheap.

Not to mention backing all this up...

I guess what I am trying to say is who really cares about all the other google apps - email is the only thing that really matters and it's shame they won't remove all the google app bloat and just offer the email portion. $5 per user per month is an unnecessary expense for a small business when margins are thin... Most businesses would just use their personal gmail addresses instead of paying the extra money.

• sleddog said: Don't be shocked when Google pulls the plug -- which they're gonna do eventually for all free google apps.

Why? They make money off it just like they do with gmail. Think ads...

sidewinder said:

I guess what I am trying to say is who really cares about all the other google apps

drive and docs are useful sometimes when you want to share files.

• nimdynimdy Member

Thanks for your responses. I thought it was probably against the terms of service.

It's a shame really - even though it's just Gmail wrapped up in my own domain, I'm very happy with the service I get from Google apps personally. I just wanted to share the service and maybe make a few quid out of it!

• mee2mee2 Member

Google likes data. And gapps free gives them a lot of it. All the ads they show are making money for them.
    It is just gmail at your domain. But i agree the current price is expensive for small setups.