Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there such a thing as a 1TB RAM Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is there such a thing as a 1TB RAM Server?

lele0108lele0108 Member
edited May 2012 in General

I recently got into a argument with a hot-headed host on Minecraft forum's claiming that Wow (Blizzard's Game) uses servers with 1TB+ of RAM to host games. I said it wasn't reasonable for any GSP to host servers, and he barged into my hosting thread, and called me a idiot.

He then claims that Sony, or Everquest, used these servers 10 years ago. Now, given the price of 16GB ECC RAM of today (~$250), I'm pretty damn sure this is false.

Can anybody give me something to say to this guy?

Comments

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

As far as I know the first servers just started to come out with 1 TB, but your looking at dropping $100k on a system at that price.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

coming soon : http://64.174.237.181/products/system/2U/6027/SYS-6027R-N3RF4_.cfm

but it "only" can do 768GB of memory..

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited May 2012

Dell R810/R910 perhaps?

But if it's 10 years ago, I seriously doubt if there's any x86-based server that supports 1TB of RAM (single server that is).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I just installed 4TB of RAM into a cluster, but that's not 1 physical server. Last year Blizzard auctioned off some of their WoW servers which were only capable of holding 128GB of RAM so 1TB is a FAR stretch. If Blizzard was using 1TB of RAM for their servers, they are morons for wasting that kind of money and resources.

• I posted on your thread in your defense.

That guy is an idiot.

• Thanks for your response guys, I appreciate it!

@bijan588 Thanks! Hopefully he will stop.

• @lele0108 Some people just like to think they have huge e-dicks... best thing you can do is just ignore them and not let it get to you.

I see no proof behind his claims though so I think he is full of it.

• His latest claim made me lol " for their US server farm they have over 350 servers each with 1TB RAM or higher"

Thats gotta be more than 10 mil in servers.

edited May 2012

I would just ignore him.

Thanked by 1bijan588
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

It's possible it was a SPARC based box, those things did massive amounts of RAM back in the day.

x86 is just now getting into the big league RAM allocations :P

Francisco

• V7HostV7Host Member

I would just smile and ignore him :)

Some people are just lost causes

• BassHostBassHost Member
    edited May 2012

The max you can get a mobo to support today is 768 Gb. But, the max ram you could get is 256 Gb

• KuroKuro Member

@BassHost said: But, the max ram you could get is 256 Gb

There are dual socket LGA2011 motherboards like the one in this that have 24x DIMM sockets...

32GB RDIMMs have been around for some time now, and 64GB RDIMMs aren't far off...

24 x 32 = 768

edited May 2012

Actually a HP DL580 G7 can hold 2TB of RAM (64 x 32GB) with the right CPU.

• nabonabo Member

@Francisco said: It's possible it was a SPARC based box, those things did massive amounts of RAM back in the day.

That's right. I guess it was somewhere around 2007 or 08, the SPARC M8000 started having 1TB Ram, the M9000 even had/has 4TB Ram.

• I think the CPU would start bottle-necking before you even reach 1TB of RAM used.

• pcanpcan Member

The CPU bottleneck is not so obvious. On the servers I manage (VmWare), the RAM is by far the only bottleneck. Each physical server has over 100 Gb Ram. The CPU very, very rarely spikes over 50% ; disk activity on the storage area network is constant but definitely not high; the client network activity is mostly negligible. This explains why a 1 Tb x86 server does exist.

But a enterprise application could be a special workload. What is the resource bottleneck on LEB VPS hosting? Does your host run out of disk space? Is the CPU maxed out?

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

The new Cpu E5 coming support about 760 ram. Dammn it will cost much :)

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@key12 said: The new Cpu E5 coming support about 760 ram. Dammn it will cost much

I just bought a dual E5, and outfitted it with 128gb of 16gb sticks, they cost is not really all that bad, but the 32gb sticks I could not find, so I can see them being ridiculously priced.

FYI https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D3-16R16GS

• MrAndroidMrAndroid Member
    edited May 2012

8GB RAM sticks are still a ridiculously stupid price.

• @lele0108 said: Can anybody give me something to say to this guy?

You know what they say about arguing on the Internet....

• letboxletbox Member, Patron Provider

@miTgiB said: I just bought a dual E5, and outfitted it with 128gb of 16gb sticks, they cost is not really all that bad, but the 32gb sticks I could not find, so I can see them being ridiculously priced.

FYI https://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=D3-16R16GS

I was read in somewhere Compare between the new E5 and other CPU. the E5 support about 760 Gb of ram I can't find the link.

• KairusKairus Member

@miTgiB said: I just bought a dual E5, and outfitted it with 128gb of 16gb sticks, they cost is not really all that bad, but the 32gb sticks I could not find, so I can see them being ridiculously priced.

What kind of drives you putting in that?

• WilliamWilliam Member

@key12 said: the E5 support about 760 Gb of ram I can't find the link.

Here:
    http://ark.intel.com/products/64592/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2603-(10M-Cache-1_80-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI)

Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)
    750 GB
    Memory Types
    DDR3-800/1066

• I can get machines with 400+ GBs of RAM, but the setup fees would be horrendous.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Kairus said: What kind of drives you putting in that?

The spinning kind :P

16x2tb hitachi deathstar

• @miTgiB said: 16x2tb hitachi deathstar

Whats so bad with Hitachi, the only complaint I have is how loud they are.

• TaylorTaylor Member

@Insidiea said: Whats so bad with Hitachi, the only complaint I have is how loud they are.

>

Not sure if serious or just...

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

@Insidiea said: Whats so bad with Hitachi

Why do you feel I think they are bad? I like Hitachi drives, deathstar is just left over from when IBM made them.

• InsidieaInsidiea Member
    edited May 2012

@miTgiB said: Why do you feel I think they are bad? I like Hitachi drives, deathstar is just left over from when IBM made them.

Isn't the 'deathstar' the majority of their consumer hard-drive series?