Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Your Dream VPS Deal - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Your Dream VPS Deal

Comments

• 0xdragon0xdragon Member
    edited May 2014

16GB RAM

500GB HDD

4 Cores

5TB BW

@ $20 a month.

I already have my dream server :)

• Everyone's being so modest with these...

GVH pricing in Seattle.

(i.e. 512mb, 10gb HD, 500gb Band. ~$18yr)

• lelewkulelewku Member

$1/month 128mb RAM , 10gb HDD, 1TB bandwidth in Japan.

• @lelewku said:
    $1/month 128mb RAM , 10gb HDD, 1TB bandwidth in Japan.

If it was IPv6 that's maybe feasible.

• Nekki said: I'd like an affordable dedi in the UK, kimsufi style prices/spec.

Something in the vein of Kimsufi in NL or something would be good too, especially if they could add in extra port speed/bandwidth at the same price.

• gracagraca Member

my dream deal would be lowend dedi with vps price range in west coast us or asia, from reputable web host. $5/mnth

just like online.net/ovh/delemitter etc

• VPNshVPNsh Member, Host Rep

UK based KVM. 2GB RAM. 500GB HDD. Install Windows and use as a remote desktop.

I think I need to see a doctor D:

• liamwithers said: UK based KVM. 2GB RAM. 500GB HDD. Install Windows and use as a remote desktop.

I was quite interested a week or two ago about OS X on KVM, more for geek credit than practicality though.

• SSD KVM VPS with 2GB RAM, 20~50GB SSD, 3~5TB BW, West Coast & $7/mo :)

• john564john564 Member

low end VPS openvz in Taiwan, either 64 or 128 MB ram, 2G HD, 100G bandwidth
    something between 5 to 10 US$ per year
    just light use as VPN from China , need tun/tap ppp enabled.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited May 2014

Feel free to PM me if anyone can do any of the below! :D

$5 - $10 a month - VPS

• 512mb ram
    • 50gb disk - decent I/O for MySQL
    • gigabit network
    • non asshole provider
    • EU/UK location

$20 a month - dedicated

• 2gb ram
    • 100gb disk x 2 in s/w RAID1
    • any CPU
    • non asshole provider
    • EU/UK location
  • Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

I'd like to see more KVM/XEN based offers on LET that offer alot of diskspace rather than insane amounts of ram & SSD type space (I prefer quantity over IO speed.)

My dreamy VPS deal would be:

1-2 GB RAM

300-600GB HDD

4 Cores

10gbit network port (I atleast expect 40mb/s speed)

Traffic allowance of 3-5TB

Located in The Netherlands,

P2P & Torrent must be no problem.

Price i'd like to pay for this offer is somewhere around the 10-17 euros.

• I'd actually like a lowend dedicated here in AU. Like anything at the $30/mth range as I know it cannot possibly go any cheaper. Maybe I should create a basement hosting provider in AU xD

• Torrenting isn't really suited to a VPS - it uses a lot of io and network speed and hashing can take up a lot of the CPU power, not really fair in a shared environment, even in KVM. Why not a seed box? You'd probably get better value without having to worry about being booted and some providers will even offer dedicated disks.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    Torrenting isn't really suited to a VPS - it uses a lot of io and network speed and hashing can take up a lot of the CPU power, not really fair in a shared environment, even in KVM. Why not a seed box? You'd probably get better value without having to worry about being booted and some providers will even offer dedicated disks.

Torrenting is no problem for most decent providers.

The impact it might causes on the overall node performance really depends on how frequently the person adds a new torrent and how long it takes to get it 100% downloaded (activity of the torrents.) Another thing that comes in play is the torrent client that is being used, todays torrent clients are very-well optimized and decrease resource usage, for example take Deluge, this client caches the most requested data pieces in the ram memory to reduce the amount of times IO access is needed.

If the torrent client really impacts the provider's node overall then the provider should consider upgrading the hardware or place some IO restrictions in place etc because it really shouldn't impact anything if everything is setup correctly.

Ofcourse my reply is based on the assumption that you talk about KVM based virtualizations.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    Why not a seed box?

I rather have 1 VPS that does everything, i'm not only using it for torrenting purposes.

• KVM doesn't stop the network or the disk from getting clogged up unless you're looking for a provider that will cap you on those things. I don't know if "most good providers" are fine with torrenting too, even in the Netherlands. Some like I said won't want to tie up resources, others won't want to waste their time and money on all the legal bs that comes with torrenting wherever you live. What "good providers" are going to let you max out a 10gbit line as often as you'd like in a shared environment? How many "good providers" have over 10gbit hooked up and dedicated to each node?

You might find someone and it's up to you at the end of the day I guess, this is the ideal thread.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    KVM doesn't stop the network or the disk from getting clogged up unless you're looking for a provider that will cap you on those things. I don't know if "most good providers" are fine with torrenting too, even in the Netherlands. Some like I said won't want to tie up resources, others won't want to waste their time and money on all the legal bs that comes with torrenting wherever you live. What "good providers" are going to let you max out a 10gbit line as often as you'd like in a shared environment? How many "good providers" have over 10gbit hooked up and dedicated to each node?

You might find someone and it's up to you at the end of the day I guess, this is the ideal thread.

Maybe its a language barrier but if I read your last reply it appears to me like you take my dreamy vps deal too seriously and yes KVM offers the ability to limit the network and IO speed, but this really shouldn't be needed if you dont oversell too hardcore.

Anyways, it isn't even my problem how the provider deals with all this, if they dont like providing the paid-for resources to people who legitly use it then they should state that on their website.

• I just don't think it's realistic to expect to be able to torrent on any big provider that's all. I did note it was the ideal thread though and your ideal can be whatever you want.

• Mark_RMark_R Member

@AThomasHowe said:
    I just don't think it's realistic to expect to be able to torrent on any big provider that's all.

I guess we disagree on that.

• $2/month,
    128mb RAM,
    5gb HDD,
    1TB bandwidth

Singapore

• joereidjoereid Member

I found mine:
    KVM, 4 cores, 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD, 2TB BW, 4 IPv4, 5 IPv6, Gigabit, low latency to my home and work (20-30ms), $7/mo

Also always looking for $10/yr KVM with IPv6...

1. 1GB RAM, >=20gb HDD, 100mbps, Malaysia @ $3/month

2. 512mb RAM, 250gb HDD, >=100mbps, >=32tb bandwidth @ $2/month @ anywhere

• cassacassa Member

AThomasHowe said: I don't know if "most good providers" are fine with torrenting too, even in the Netherlands.

There is a download ban in the Netherlands too now ;(

• FalzoFalzo Member

@joereid said:
    I found mine:
    KVM, 4 cores, 4GB RAM, 100GB HDD, 2TB BW, 4 IPv4, 5 IPv6, Gigabit, low latency to my home and work (20-30ms), $7/mo

would you mind sharing, which provider/location/offer this has been?

• ElliotJElliotJ Member

AThomasHowe said: I don't know if "most good providers" are fine with torrenting too, even in the Netherlands

Meh, depends how you do it I guess.

I occasionally run a seedbox to get my ratio back up (home upload speed is pretty awful) but because it's a smallish private tracker, I feel confident that no crap will occur.

I've always wondered how it would work if I pushed all torrent traffic through a VPN that allows torrenting, like iPredator. Theoretically if you have an encrypted disk, there should be minimal chance of your provider being able to tell you're torrenting, so long as you're not hammering the disks.

• chrispchrisp Member
    edited May 2014

My dream VPS deal is a KVM in Portugal, 10gb hdd, 300gb traffic, 128mb ram for for <3$/m or <30$/y

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited May 2014

@cassa said:
    There is a download ban in the Netherlands too now ;(

not entirely.. source: http://www.nu.nl/binnenland/3748520/downloadverbod-per-direct-van-kracht-in-nederland.html

like they state there, only BREIN enforces it and they aim at the sources who spread the illegal/copyrighted materials (uploaders etc) not the people who just download the content.

Basicly this was already the case so nothing really changed.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

256MB KVM, 10GB HDD, 300GB Traffic for about 15$ in Europe like Spain/UK

• It's not that I'm against torrenting or anything I just think

ElliotJ said: Meh, depends how you do it I guess.

I occasionally run a seedbox to get my ratio back up (home upload speed is pretty awful) but because it's a smallish private tracker, I feel confident that no crap will occur.

I've always wondered how it would work if I pushed all torrent traffic through a VPN that allows torrenting, like iPredator. Theoretically if you have an encrypted disk, there should be minimal chance of your provider being able to tell you're torrenting, so long as you're not hammering the disks.

Or y'know, you could not jump through hoops and buy a dedicated seed box package.

Just because you haven't been caught out yet doesn't mean you won't be.