Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

KVM web interface
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

KVM web interface

DolingoDolingo Member
edited May 2012 in General

Hi all,

I'm playing with kvm - libvirt server at home (Ubuntu 12) and I wonder what's the best web interface for such a system. I am using "Virtual Machine Manager" but this only works from Linux machine. I have found http://archipelproject.org/ on Google but may be there are better options.

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

proxmox is pretty solid :)

Francisco

• Proxmox is great.

Thanked by 2Francisco TheHackBox
  • DolingoDolingo Member

I've looked at Proxmox but is seems that it can only be installed from ISO. My server is up and running other services. For me it is not an option to reinstall the entire system.

@Dolingo said: I've looked at Proxmox but is seems that it can only be installed from ISO. My server is up and running other services. For me it is not an option to reinstall the entire system.

Nah you didn't hunt their wiki then :)

If your box is running debian lenny/sarge, they got install guides for you.

Francisco

• DolingoDolingo Member

You are right Francisco I just look at the download page :)
    I will look again.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I prefer Proxmox 1.9, 2.x is way overkill unless you have tons of users or want to use it in a hosting environment.

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member

archipelproject become worst because those java (cappuccino)

• DolingoDolingo Member

Whats wrong with cappuccino? As far as I know it is JavaScript not Java.

• MrDOSMrDOS Member

(you need java to run cappuccino build tools, not to run Archipel, you can drop it eventually after build)

Your point?

• Mon5t3rMon5t3r Member
    edited May 2012

i don't like SUN's product.. that's all.. :P

edit: and btw, my X3470 server load average around 2-3 when i try to install archipel on it. idle without VM running..

• @Francisco said: If your box is running debian lenny/sarge, they got install guides for you.

With a little modif to the instructions, PVE kernels/utils work great on Debian Squeeze too...

Their 2.6.18 Is very old and buggy.

It has an outstanding bug that makes ipv6 performance garbage. i did the pony6.3 kernel from scratch.

Francisco

• tmn29atmn29a Member

Here is a list of interfaces.
    I'm trying to set up OpenNebula, although I'm struggling with their storage system. But you might be more successful ;) I think it's a very nice solution.
    In the list not mentioned is Eucalyptus, although I have no experience with that.

Thanked by 1djvdorp
  • RaymiiRaymii Member

Can recommend Proxmox. Use it at home ass wel. And of course the commandline interface is a good one ;)

• Is Proxmox good in a commercial environment? or is it like HyperVM

• I use proxmox in a commercial environment for managed vps customers. The backup&restore function is like a charme and works very well with kvm.
    But if you want something special, like vlans you have to know what you are doing. But the proxmox forum is also very helpfull.

• For anybody using ProxMox 2 in production (For commercial/client use) i have a few points you might be able to answer (All are issues i found when considering using it myself)

• How are you preventing IP stealing with no ebtables support etc
    • How are you keeping track of IP allocation, since from what i saw there is no IP pool nor do you assign the IP using ProxMox. Which means you would have to configure them within the VPS itself.