Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(S) Custom built HDD mounting solution
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

(S) Custom built HDD mounting solution

Anyone good with bulding stuff?

I'm on the lookout for someone to build me 2 custom 48 HDD mounts in a custom form factor.

Specifications:

48 HDDs with one side screwed (24+24)

Mounts for 120mm fans (2 screwholes are enough) on front per 3 HDDs

Must have mount for 1 ATX mainboard on the side

Must have mount for 3 PCIe x16 risers ( http://www.amazon.de/Express-flexibel-Extender-Extension-Verlängerungskabel/dp/B00CZCAGUA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1399002818&sr=8-3&keywords=pcie+riser )

Must have this 3 raisers fixed next to each other and a small mount/screw terminal for 3 single slot PCIe x16 cards (HBAs)

Must have mount (bracket) for 1 ATX PSU

Optional: Mounts for 2x 2,5" somewhere (side/top?)

Here is a simple paint drawing of the basic design idea. Budget ca. 300EUR each (with risers, without mobo etc.). I prefer alu/steel. Must be shipped to Austria.

https://imghost.li/di/4CX6/Untitled.png

Comments

• NateN34NateN34 Member

Does the 300 EUR include shipping costs?

• NickMNickM Member

If you're looking to do big storage, why not get a BackBlaze pod from 45drives.com?

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited May 2014

NateN34 said: Does the 300 EUR include shipping costs?

No, just the construction and the 3 risers - Fans are bought later by myself (i want some rare Japanese low profile turbine designed fans)

NickM said: If you're looking to do big storage, why not get a BackBlaze pod from 45drives.com?

$1236.67 with backplanes, way over budget.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited May 2014
  • OPOP Member

Aluminum sheets are quite expensive, I'm not sure if you will be able to fit it in your budget.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can use plexiglass

• rds100rds100 Member

Just bolting HDDs to a hard surface is not going to be good i think, because of the vibrations. You need something to isolate / reduce the vibrations.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

You can put rubber straps between hdds and case