Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which should I get? (Dedicated)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which should I get? (Dedicated)

My options are:
HP DL 160 L5520 w/ 36GB RAM, 1TB HDD
or
Dell 2xL5520 w/ 36GB RAM, 1TB HDD
or
HP Proliant 2XL5420 w/ 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD

Comments

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

What is your intended usage for the server? Is there much difference in pricing?

HP DL or Dell at a guess...

• VPNVPN Member

I would say the Dell. However it depends on the price difference and what you plan to use it for.

• HP master race.

• Dell > HP (old is gold)

• It depends on the Dell unit - if its one of these Ebay 'specials' ie old DCS stuff avoid it like the plague. IPMI is completely broken and Tyan (the original motherboard manufacturer) discontinued them about 5-6 years ago, it also has an open NTP port which can be used for NTP reflection/amplification attacks. How do I know this? We just bought a hosting company in NC who is 100% Dell and we discovered about half their network traffic is traffic being reflected off their Dell IPMI's NTP port. The regular Dell kit is usable, but make sure you have a full DRAC otherwise you wont have a KVM/power cycling.

Delimiter sells HP Blade and DL pizza boxes, similar boxes would cost you around $49-$69/month with GE port. Let me know if you need some pricing.

• @thatguyagain said:
    My options are:
    HP DL 160 L5520 w/ 36GB RAM, 1TB HDD
    or
    Dell 2xL5520 w/ 36GB RAM, 1TB HDD
    or
    HP Proliant 2XL5420 w/ 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD

I assume from the specs you are listing these are from Dacentec. The pricing differences make the "HP Proliant 2XL5420 w/ 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD" option the most attractive as otherwise your paying hundreds of dollars over the RTO term for the extra RAM.