Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Yay got a new job
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Yay got a new job

BlazeMuisBlazeMuis Member
edited May 2012 in General

You all remember my thread about what i should do during holidays right?

Well, i got a new job at a Hardware store called the Gamma (Holland) for during the holidays, and they also offered me a parrtime job after the holidays :D
I can start on 4th of june, i just need to wait a few weeks

I'm happy now again, and can finally buy more VPS servers :)

Comments

• JacobJacob Member
    edited May 2012

@Joodle Great, What does the job involve, Sitting at a checkout I guess or actually repairing/fixing hardware and machines?

• I need to sort products, or when a product isn't in the shop anymore i need to refill it, i need to clean, and sitting at the checkout when it's really busy, and helping people, if they can't find something i need to help them

• JacobJacob Member
    edited May 2012

Aghh, I would hate a job like that. What if you got a really bitchy customer, But the customer is always right. :-)

I suppose if you need the cash, Then go for it! :-) I am sure it is a upgrade from your last 10 Euro/Month Job.

@joodle said: I need to sort products, or when a product isn't in the shop anymore i need to refill it, i need to clean, and sitting at the checkout when it's really busy, and helping people, if they can't find something i need to help them

• taiprestaipres Member

Congrats! Even though it's part time, it's still money, and you may even enjoy working there :)

@joodle said: I'm happy now again, and can finally buy more VPS servers :)

Just in time for taipresVPS launch yay!

• @taipres said: Even though it's part time

I can't work fulltime, because i got college after i graduated (i expect to graduate in 2 months)

• taiprestaipres Member

@joodle said: I can't work fulltime, because i got college after i graduated (i expect to graduate in 2 months)

Very cool :) many in the US don't graduate High school.

• rds100rds100 Member

Congrats for the job. Even if it's not the greatest or most well paid job - it's still invaluable experience. And something you can mention in your CV in the future.

• CINIPACCINIPAC Member

In my opinion it's better to have a "LowEndJob" than a blank page in your CV. Congrats!

Thanked by 1NanoG6
  • IntcsIntcs Member

Good luck with your new job, I have an advice to not take a lot of loans till june, because the possibility of quitting the job shortly, yes you might work for them for long too ;) but..

• KairusKairus Member

Good luck, don't rip anything.

• BoltersdriveerBoltersdriveer Member, LIR

@taipres said: many in the US don't graduate High school.

Wait what?

• RaymiiRaymii Member

Congratulations! Will keep you busy I hope.. Hebben ze geen praxis bij je in de buurt? Vriend van me heeft bij beide gewerkt en de arbeidsvoorwaarden bij de praxis schijnen beter te zijn, kreeg bijna twee keer zoveel betaald ook in dezelfde functie...

• DerekDerek Member

@taipres said: Very cool :) many in the US don't graduate High school.

Not true, graduation rate is high for those who try.

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/high-school-graduation-rate-rises-in-us/2012/03/16/gIQAxZ9rLS_story.html

"The national graduation rate increased to 75.5 percent in 2009, up from 72 percent in 2001. And the number of “dropout factories” — high schools where at least 60 percent of students do not graduate on time — fell from 2,007 in 2002 to 1,550 in 2010."

• rds100rds100 Member

In different countries "high school" means different thing.

• yomeroyomero Member

@rds100 said: In different countries "high school" means different thing.

Indeed
    I am HEAVILY confused about this.
    In Mexico we have this.

• Kindergarden 3yr
    • Primary 6yr
    • Secondary 3yr
    • "Preparatoria" (Maybe this is high school?) 3yr
    • University

So, how is in other countries? :S

• taiprestaipres Member
    edited May 2012

@rds100 said: In different countries "high school" means different thing.

I specifically said in the US in the initial post.

@taipres said: Very cool :) many in the US don't graduate High school.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited May 2012

@yomero said: So, how is in other countries? :S

This is the system in Germany:

Basically boils down to: You have/haven't been to a Gymnasium and gotten an Abitur (called Gymnasiale Oberstufe in the image)

• JacobJacob Member

Too bad I don't speak german...

• @Raymii said: Hebben ze geen praxis bij je in de buurt? Vriend van me heeft bij beide gewerkt en de arbeidsvoorwaarden bij de praxis schijnen beter te zijn, kreeg bijna twee keer zoveel betaald ook in dezelfde functie...

Jawel, maar daar hadden ze geen mensen meer nodig

• @Jacob said: Too bad I don't speak german...

Sorry i've searched for an english image but couldn't find any :(

Let me try to sum it up and translate (this isn't true for every state in Germany btw, there are always small differences)
    -4 years of elementary school starting at 5 or 6
    After that either:
    -6 years of "Hauptschule/Realschule" or
    -8 years (used to be 9) of "Gymnasium".

Typically, if you've graduated from a Hauptschule or Realschule you will start an Ausbildung (apprenticeship, training) which takes 4 years or so after school e.g. to become a hairdresser, carpenter, electrician, code monkey, ...
    When you've graduated from a Gymnasium (means you got an Abitur) you are allowed to attend a University. I can't find any figures right now but i'd guess about 50% of the people who graduate from a Gymnasium go to an university.

Links:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gymnasium_(Germany)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realschule
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hauptschule

• yomeroyomero Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: code monkey

LOL

Wow, is so different :S

• RaymiiRaymii Member
    edited May 2012

@Joodle After vacation, what you're going to do? MBO, HBO? Uni? And, something in IT?

The dutch school system:

• Kleuterschool: preschool
    • Basisschool: primary school (ages 4-12, group 1-8)
    • Voortgezet onderwijs: three different levels, VMBO (4 years), HAVO (5 years), VWO (6 years), so age 12-18. (secondary school?)
    • MBO, HBO Universiteit: After VMBO --> MBO (college?), After HAVO --> HBO (bachelor, master), After VWO --> Universiteit or HBO (Uni = University, also bachelor,master)

My way: HAVO --> HBO Computer Science, HBO Nursing

• My way,

HAVO --> HBO IT

:>

• RaymiiRaymii Member

@birdie25 you're also dutch? From where?

• CoreyCorey Member

The german post is definitely interesting.

• djvdorpdjvdorp Member

VWO N&T -> HBO IT for me ;)

• @Raymii dichtbij Zaltbommel

• Good luck with your new job.

Veel mensen van Nederland luek.

• @Raymii said: After vacation, what you're going to do? MBO, HBO? Uni? And, something in IT?

I'm gonna do MBO, Car Mechanics on the ROC van Twente