Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Round Robin Worth It?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Round Robin Worth It?

SpencerSpencer Member
edited May 2012 in General

Well currently we are hosting with @V7Host and I must say it has been great but we are moving on to a VPS due to our CPU need.
In LEB option would it be worthwhile to make my hosting website roundrobin with a few VPS running the website and MySQL replication? Or am I just wasting my time and money? Opinions on this!

Comments

• CloudxtnyHostCloudxtnyHost Member, Host Rep

Better than round robin would be to spend some time developing a powerdns cluster and some lua scripts to do a ping/http check on the servers. Basically what you can program it to do is remove A records based on the result of the Ping/HTTP check. In addition to this PDNS does geo very well.

Your main enemy with Round Robin and anything else you try to do with DNS is DNS cache :(

• @httpzoom said: Better than round robin would be to spend some time developing a powerdns cluster and some lua scripts to do a ping/http check on the servers. Basically what you can program it to do is remove A records based on the result of the Ping/HTTP check. In addition to this PDNS does geo very well.

Geoscaling.com (saw it mentioned in a post here at LET a while back) has functionality similar to this; you can, for example, send it load averages via XML-RPC and have it direct people to the server with the least load without having to muck around with pdns etc.

@PytoHost: To prevent the MySQL replication nonsense, perhaps you could have multiple BuyVM servers both set up to use the offloaded SQL service, sharing the same DB?

• SpencerSpencer Member

@ihatetonyy said: @PytoHost: To prevent the MySQL replication nonsense, perhaps you could have multiple BuyVM servers both set up to use the offloaded SQL service, sharing the same DB?

Hmm I could but I wouldn't be using all buyvm because I don't want to put all my eggs in the same basket. But I do see what you are saying. Or I could offload mysql to amazon or the likes. Something that I know will have almost 100% uptime

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@PytoHost said: Something that I know will have almost 100% uptime

Please use amazon's local storage or you'll be regretting that 100% uptime comment

Francisco

• SpencerSpencer Member

@Francisco said: Please use amazon's local storage or you'll be regretting that 100% uptime comment

I was looking at this: http://aws.amazon.com/rds/ it is meant for sql databases.

And I would fit into the free tier since I doubt WHMCS uses 10 million queries a month, and even if it does it is only 10 cents per million.

• dwilddwild Member

@Francisco said: Please use amazon's local storage or you'll be regretting that 100% uptime comment

I don't understand... can you explain?

@dwild said: I don't understand... can you explain?

Amazon's cloud has serious stability issues with their elastic storage. They have had huge outages that lasted the better part of a weekend. Just lookup reddit and amazon cloud and you'll find tons of discussion about it.

Reddit tried their best to not speak ill of Amazon for it, but they were incredibly pissed off at it.

Fran

• beardbeard Member

@Francisco said: Amazon's cloud has serious stability issues with their elastic storage

I read Amazon's "report" which everyone remembers about a year ago the infamous "Amazon goes belly up" and their "final" recommendation was basically "well, buy more failover thats why we have it". The stats were like over 60-70% were affected who did not have failover versus less than 10% of ones who did.

• subigosubigo Member

@Francisco said: Amazon's cloud has serious stability issues with their elastic storage. They have had huge outages that lasted the better part of a weekend. Just lookup reddit and amazon cloud and you'll find tons of discussion about it.

Reddit tried their best to not speak ill of Amazon for it, but they were incredibly pissed off at it.

Fran

Amazon has been pretty good since that one big outage. I'm pretty sure they haven't had a single outage in over a year now.

It's very much possible it was localized for reddit, but it was still a mess. They use the local storage setups now as far as i know :)

Francisco

• JacobJacob Member

Just run DNS Failover, You can point your DNS to exns.net and then set your failover records in the controlpanel.

Set it up on multiple VPS, Set your TTL to around 5 / 10Minutes or lower if you wish and then you have a near 100% Uptime setup.

• subigosubigo Member

@Francisco said: It's very much possible it was localized for reddit, but it was still a mess. They use the local storage setups now as far as i know :)

Nope, they still use Amazon S3 for most of their storage.

@subigo said: Nope, they still use Amazon S3 for most of their storage.

Right, but the storage comes in two forms, SAN based and local RAID10 based :)

Francisco