Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Am after an OpenVZ template for Damn Small Linux
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Am after an OpenVZ template for Damn Small Linux

unixguruunixguru Member
edited May 2012 in General

Does anyone know where I can lay my hands on one of these.

I figured that this would be the best place to ask.

Comments

• DSL is quite outdated as far as I know.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

I've never seen one. I'd LOVE to have a template though. :)

• taiprestaipres Member

make one and sell it :D

• ErkanErkan Member
    edited May 2012

do it with slitaz (without gui)

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

Is there a guide on how to make templates? I'd be keen to give it a go

• Has anyone got a slitaz template for OpenVZ, it's supports openvz, but I cannot find a template or HowTo for that either.

• JeffreyJeffrey Member

Just build it yourself, DSL is based on Debian and uses FWM Window Manager?

• efballefball Member

DSL hasn't been updated since 2008. It's dead.
    Just use Debian, there isn't anything DSL can do that Debian can't.

• taiprestaipres Member

@efball said: Just use Debian, there isn't anything DSL can do that Debian can't.

DSL is evergreen :P and it's smaller and more lightweight than Debian hence why people are interested in it. At one point I wanted to use it as a primary OS then slap VM Player on it and install different OS's in that, so that it'd be easier to backup things and because it'd be far more reliable than disk installs(snapshot is a neat feature for instance).But I never got around to it.

• efballefball Member

When you build debian it asks what things to install (desktop, mailserver, etc). Select nothing and it builds a very minimalist system, then just install what you need.

• BluBoyBluBoy Member

I have my base Debian build down to ~100MB and 4Mb RAM (in an OpenVZ container). I could cull that down further (removing man, docs, apt cache, perl etc), but really there is very little to gain from this point for me.

If you wanted to do the same, look at the package list for DSL, compare it to what you have installed in a base Debian and get apt-get remov'ing. (Remember to cater for newer packages, and packages that replaced outdated/vulnerable apps in DSL! Your list should NOT be the same as theirs!!)

If you really wanted to, I guess you could install a light X and window manager... But really, why would you on a VPS/LEB?