Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should i go with VPS or Dedi Server?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Should i go with VPS or Dedi Server?

I have wordpress site, which has regular of 130-150(Yes i mean 24/7) people online. Even more in weekends.

my VPS details (Running):

• OpenVZ
  • 4GB Ram
  • 120 HDD
  • 5TB BW
  • Nginx
  • Varnish Cache
  • Even CDN is implemented on top

my problems on this server.

• Needed more than 0.5 TB HDD/SSD, but they only offers 120 (highest config) per client.
  • And of course needed more BW that 5TB
  • Datacenter isn't inside us. So DC needed somewhere in west-coast
  • 70% traffics from USA, So server takes lots of time to load, even tho i have CDN.

So, now should i go with Dedi server? OR should i stick with good/stable VPS ?
btw my budget is around 120-150$ including plesk/cpanel + Managed.

Any Suggestion? any recommended stable/affordable dedi or VPS?

Comments

• mikhomikho Member, Host Rep

A cpanel license for a dedicated server costs somewhere around 30-35 usd/month.

It eats a pretty large chunk of your budget and when asking for managed aswell. Doesn't leave much room for the actual server.

If you really need a dedicated server for this site and aomeone to manage the server, cPanel could perhaps be removed from the equation and tje dollars saved could be out towards hardware and management.

From your description I suspect that the waiting time is from fetching data inside the mysql database.

Perhaps start with running mysqltuner and follow the recommendations?

Thanked by 2isansar obakfahad
  • yes you are right ! its huge DB.

@MikHo said:

Perhaps start with running mysqltuner and follow the recommendations?

Never knew about this before, any step guide links ?

Thank you so much @MikHo

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

isansar said: Never knew about this before, any step guide links ?

wget http://mysqltuner.pl
    chmod 755 mysqltuner.pl
    ./mysqltuner.pl

Interpreting the results is a different matter :-)

If raindog308 wasn't clear enough, http://www.lowendguide.com/3/database/mysqltuner-suggestions-for-optimizing-your-mysql-installation/

Copy the results to a pastebin like http://noted.pw/ and we can look at it.
    Perhaps even give a few pointers.

Thanked by 2raindog308 isansar
  • isansarisansar Member
    edited April 2014

Hi @MikHo @raindog308 here is my results
    http://pastebin.com/BvHMbXB9

Please advice !

• get more ram. your mysql use 3.7G (93% of installed RAM)

and

query_cache_size (> 16M)
    tmp_table_size (> 16M)
    max_heap_table_size (> 16M)
    innodb_buffer_pool_size (>= 24M)

add those values to your /etc/my.cnf

• tsantentsanten Member
    edited April 2014

lower threads from 500 to 200 as you used max 108
    And put at least 64M for the parameters namhuy told you
    Run optimize table too

• edanedan Member

I believe you have bad config there, 4GB of RAM should can handle 2000+ online user as long as they are not login.

• Even with 150 people online at any given time; you're only dealing with SQL & HTTP requests (amongst other minor things) - this cannot use 5TB, or even anywhere near 1TB a month unless your setup is seriously configured wrong, taking into consideration you even have a CDN somewhere in your setup.

Also do you really need cPanel? Can you not use a free panel like Kloxo - it's the same thing just a free version. A cPanel license will run you at least $30/m which eats into your budget.

Furthermore, you're utilizing Varnish & Nginx, which is great: but have you looked into adding gzip compression for your requests? It'll cause a higher CPU load, but will speed up requests to your user base.

I'd recommend http://www.supremebytes.com/dedicated-servers.php - $80/m for : Xeon E3-1230 , 16Gb RAM , 1x 1TB WD Black 7400RPM & 5TB bandwidth + still leaves you a gap for purchasing that cPanel license if you choose not to go with Kloxo.

• @viCommunications said:
    Even with 150 people online at any given time; you're only dealing with SQL & HTTP requests (amongst other minor things) - this cannot use 5TB, or even anywhere near 1TB a month unless your setup is seriously configured wrong, taking into consideration you even have a CDN somewhere in your setup.

Also do you really need cPanel? Can you not use a free panel like Kloxo - it's the same thing just a free version. A cPanel license will run you at least $30/m which eats into your budget.

Furthermore, you're utilizing Varnish & Nginx, which is great: but have you looked into adding gzip compression for your requests? It'll cause a higher CPU load, but will speed up requests to your user base.

I'd recommend http://www.supremebytes.com/dedicated-servers.php - $80/m for : Xeon E3-1230 , 16Gb RAM , 1x 1TB WD Black 7400RPM & 5TB bandwidth + still leaves you a gap for purchasing that cPanel license if you choose not to go with Kloxo.

he needs 500GB of storage, I assume he's hosting files to download

• @isansar what about Dual X5150, 16GB RAM (great for caching that MySQL), 500GB disk - $20/month (paid quarterly) or $30/month (paid month-to-month). Gigabit port.

@MarkTurner
    There is no need for a dedicated, tweaking and fixing the settings of his mysql and other services.

Basicly what happens is that MySQL reserves to much memory causes it to swap to disk whenever varnish is "working" or a file (image or whatever) is requested.
    This makes everything slow.

If the mysqltuner output is true

Data in MyISAM tables: 334M
    Data in InnoDB tables: 24M

Having mysql use 3, almost 4 GB is overkill.

Fix the issues according to mysqltuner and limit the memory usage of mysql and I'm sure you will se an improvment.

Thanked by 1isansar
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited April 2014

Older version of wordpress? Newer versions use InnoDB but it seems the majority of your data is MyISAM. On InnoDB implementations If you're purely serving WP sites then try bumping up the innodb_buffer_pool_size to over 1G. This allows MySQL to cache the most frequently accessed records (index keys moreso) into memory, but due to block sizes some data gets cached into memory too. Since you're using MyISAM you'd want to increase the key_buffer_size to a much higher value. Basically with low values you're thrashing the disk when you have lots of memory that should primarily be used to hold the data you're going to process/send over the network.

My understanding of WP is that it's almost entirely database driven so if you're looking to increase performance then that's what to look at. The OS will cache all those WP php files just fine.

mysqlreport is good for digging deeper. http://hackmysql.com/mysqlreport

For bandwidth, check that any versions of jquery or the like are fetched from google instead of your own servers. Not only will it save you bandwidth, it's far more likely to already be cached by the client.

In regards to the original question, go unmanaged/dedicated if you're comfortable with that. VPS are overpriced towards this scale.

Thanked by 1isansar
  • @edan said:
    I believe you have bad config there, 4GB of RAM should can handle 2000+ online user as long as they are not login.

Hmmm... that's what i'm thinking.

• @hostnoob said:
    he needs 500GB of storage, I assume he's hosting files to download

Yes, you are right. It's education based wordpress and i do need lots of space or pdf and podcast for every lesson.

• @MarkTurner said:
    isansar what about Dual X5150, 16GB RAM (great for caching that MySQL), 500GB disk - $20/month (paid quarterly) or $30/month (paid month-to-month). Gigabit port.

I would love to know about.

• @isansar - here's the offer (but that coupon expires in a few hours):

HP BL460C Dual X5150, 16GB, 500GB - $20/mo (Atlanta)

Four X5150 cores, VT support - runs all major OS: Linux, VMWare, XenServer, Windows or install your own from ISO. Your own VPS server? Minecraft? Storage? Development? Its your server and your resources - you can max it out 24x7!

• 2 x Dual Core 5150 Xeon
    • 16GB RAM
    • 500GB Disk (hardware RAID already on board - add second disk for RAID1/RAID0)
    • 1 IPv4 Address
    • /64 IPv6 address block
    • Gigabit port
    • Hardware RAID Controller
    • Dedicated KVM (HP Lights Out) with full graphical KVM, virtual media
    • Dedicated Power control (power on/off/reset as required)
    • 5TB Bandwidth @ 1Gbps
    • Gigabit port

$20/month (payable quarterly at $60/quarter) - Coupon SAVEAPRIL2014

$30/month (payable month-to-month) - Coupon SAVEAPRIL2014

Order Here