Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Atom 2750 System
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Atom 2750 System

wychwych Member
edited April 2014 in Requests

Who has these in stock and ready to use?

Looking at setting up a new product and interested to test the performance.

OVH just don't seem to want to sell them (even mentioned about BETA but didn't get it), or are OOS whenever they reply now.

Aware of CC and waiting on a reply.

Comments

• sc754sc754 Member

@wych said:
    Who has these in stock and ready to use?

Looking at setting up a new product and interested to test the performance.

OVH just don't seem to want to sell them (even mentioned about BETA but didn't get it), or are OOS whenever they reply now.

Aware of CC and waiting on a reply.

1and1 UK have them, but they might be pricey if you don't want a long contract

• wychwych Member

@sc754 said:
    1and1 UK have them, but they might be pricey if you don't want a long contract

I will take a look at them, how fast is 1and1's network, the shared hosting left a little to be desired last time I hosted there.

• sc754sc754 Member

@wych said:
    I will take a look at them, how fast is 1and1's network, the shared hosting left a little to be desired last time I hosted there.

I'm sure it'll be good, they're quite a big company. Looks like the atom monthly is £59.99 (excl vat) with a £49 setup. Comes with a 100mbit unmetered by the looks of it.

• sc754sc754 Member

Not sure those atom's will be worth the money vs the e3 xeons. Seems like the atoms are over priced compared to their performance

• Given that you can get an E3-1230v3 for anywhere from $50-$75 these days, I'd say take an E3 over an Atom C2750.

2750 has no hyperthreading (but does have 8 cores). Memory throughput on Atom is half that of E3.

CPU Benchmark says:

Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @ 3.30GHz 9,548
    Intel Atom C2750 @ 2.40GHz 3,797

Given pricing for E3's is almost lower than Atoms, stick with the E3's

• wychwych Member

@Jack said:
    Colocrossing have them in stock. - CVPS has them in stock Look at LEB $49/mo

How long do CC/CVPS take to set them up? Asked about 64gb RAM so waiting on that.

Bigger disks at CC are tempting, and dealt with them before indirectly via GetDedi.

@sc754 said:
    Not sure those atom's will be worth the money vs the e3 xeons. Seems like the atoms are over priced compared to their performance

I cant see either being a issue for this particular application.

@sc754 said:
    I'm sure it'll be good, they're quite a big company. Looks like the atom monthly is £59.99 (excl vat) with a £49 setup. Comes with a 100mbit unmetered by the looks of it.

Certainly not LET pricing there then.

• wychwych Member

@MarkTurner said:
    Given that you can get an E3-1230v3 for anywhere from $50-$75 these days, I'd say take an E3 over an Atom C2750.

2750 has no hyperthreading (but does have 8 cores). Memory throughput on Atom is half that of E3.

CPU Benchmark says:

Confirms what I saw at - http://www.servethehome.com/Server-detail/intel-atom-c2750-8-core-avoton-rangeley-benchmarks-fast-power/

I was just curious if they would work for this application and wondered what was out there, google isnt being very helpful at pointing me to hosts with them to order.

• VirtovoVirtovo Member
    edited April 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    Given that you can get an E3-1230v3 for anywhere from $50-$75 these days, I'd say take an E3 over an Atom C2750.

CPU Benchmark says:

Could be good if your building a cloud on your own hardware and in a location where power is more of a concern. Only issue I see with building a cloud at the moment is the high density solutions add to the networking cost (SM Microcloud). Hopefully Quanta will bring out something with 10Gbit uplink.

• wychwych Member

Thanks for all for the feedback so far!

• @wych - I did some heavy testing with HP's Moonshot platform earlier this year. The promise of 1000+ servers in a single rack is very attractive BUT cost vs performance - forget it. Its a great win for datacentre operators - we save money on power and cooling. But for the end user, the machines are really sucky.

Slow memory performance being the one that caused me to avoid them.

£ for £ - I'd take the E3. Intel didn't position this Atom range to compete with E3, its definitely the poor relation. Maybe more RAM but that RAM is not performant.

• wychwych Member

@MarkTurner said:
    wych - I did some heavy testing with HP's Moonshot platform earlier this year. The promise of 1000+ servers in a single rack is very attractive BUT cost vs performance - forget it. Its a great win for datacentre operators - we save money on power and cooling. But for the end user, the machines are really sucky.

Interesting...

@MarkTurner said:
    Slow memory performance being the one that caused me to avoid them.

Im looking elsewhere now due to the memory benchmarks; sure double the ram is nice but not when its sluggish and slow.

• @Wych - what about an E3?

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited April 2014

The Atom 2750 CPU itself costs around $170. It's supermicro who makes the whole system expensive.

Once other MB manufacturers start making cheaper Atom 2750 motherboards i expect to see better (cheaper) offers for such systems.

• wychwych Member
    edited April 2014

@MarkTurner said:
    Wych - what about an E3?

Already got a few E3's; was curious as to the Atoms but they do seem memory speed limited the more benchmarks I see.

How much do Yomura do E3's for?

• wychwych Member

@rds100 said:
    The Atom 2700 CPU itself costs around $170. It's supermicro who makes the whole system expensive.
    Once other MB manufacturers start making cheaper Atom 2700 motherboards i expect to see better (cheaper) offers for such systems.

True, but whens that gonna happen haha.

• sc754sc754 Member

@wych said:
    True, but whens that gonna happen haha.

Tried your youtube to mp3 converter, gives me this:

0%
    Downloading video. . .

Error downloading video!

• @rds100 - the argument seems to be that you save money on the power/cooling requirement. This was certainly HP's argument but at $500/blade - its not exciting. The life of one of these systems is 6-12 months before people finally outgrow the system due to the slow memory performance.

For virtualisation the last thing you want is that much contention on memory with such low performance.

@wych - Last deal I saw on E3's was $69/month for E3-1230v3, 16GB and 1TB disk

• wych said: True, but whens that gonna happen haha.

Who knows, maybe never, maybe some day. The CPU has been release in Q3/2013, it's still a relatively new thing.

• @MarkTurner the performance seems to be similar to the performance of a L5520, but the CPU only uses 20 watts. Now for places (USA) where the power costs 3-5 cents / kWh and the second hand L5520s are available for cheap this is not so important. But for Europe where the power is generally much more expensive and there are no cheap second hand L5520 systems - this could be a big deal.

I agree that $500 / blade is too much though. This should cost $300 max. to be worth it.

• @rds100 - European electricity cost varies across EU but just like the US when you make forward contracts you can get very low costs. When you move from KWH to MWH the pricing model goes out the window because you can get industrial rates.

Also remember in some countries its not the energy that really is the big cost, its the network/transmission cost and the government taxes. Then when you get to countries like Denmark you're paying CO2 tax.

This is why companies like OVH/Hetzner can offer such aggressively priced servers.

• wychwych Member

@Jack said:
    Your dealings via GetDedi would be different to dealing directly.

Useful to know.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

Memory throughput would not be your limiting factor in 99 percent of applications.

• wychwych Member

@jbiloh said:
    Memory throughput would not be your limiting factor in 99 percent of applications.

Do you offer a discount on quarterly/monthly/annual payments?

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

We can do 10 percent on an annual payment.