Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EDIS Asia! - Page 5
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

EDIS Asia!

1235»

Comments

• @lbft said: From my perspective, I'd pick Singapore - SunnyVision has unimpressive connectivity to both mainland China and the rest of the world IMHO

Yes, that is my fear as well, Sunnyvision had pretty bad reviews and i am not impressed with the VPS we have with them for testing now as well - Also pleas ekeep in mind that our connectivity will be even WORSE since Chinese networks update their prefix filter only once per year (01.01) so our IP range will likely be routed through the USA for more than half a year....

• klikliklikli Member
    edited June 2012

@liam said: Macau

Serious?

--
    Anyway, connectivity in Asia is not that cheap, maybe like $3/40 per Mbps. But glad that we've HE here:P have you considered them or at least get a quote?

• klikliklikli Member

IMHO, the best possible VPS in Asia is SL Singapore. There's no pricing difference between their Singapore location and any other locations, plus they've awesome network (yes they have telstra for Australia, NTT for Japan, TATA for India, Equinix everywhere and HKIX!

• ChanChan Member

@klikli
    If you have the $$$$$$ I guess :D

• @lbft said: From my perspective, I'd pick Singapore - SunnyVision has unimpressive connectivity to both mainland China and the rest of the world IMHO; both SunnyVision and OneAsiaHost are worse than the west coast of the US for Australia whereas Sol One is better.

+1

What does mainland china look like to Sol One?

• @klikli said: Anyway, connectivity in Asia is not that cheap, maybe like $3/40 per Mbps. But glad that we've HE here:P have you considered them or at least get a quote?

HE sells at 7$ / Mbit, does however not have much peering.

@klikli said: IMHO, the best possible VPS in Asia is SL Singapore

SL does not do colo.

• klikliklikli Member

@William
    (As of SL) I understand, but considering is bandwidth it'sit a great deal.

How much is colo in Mega-i + x-con? Will it be 'more' doable in terms of price?

• @klikli said: How much is colo in Mega-i + x-con? Will it be 'more' doable in terms of price?

900EUR / Rack + 100EUR / MMR connect + Power (+ BW) = too expensive

Thanked by 1klikli
  • klikliklikli Member
    edited June 2012

@William said: HE sells at 7$ / Mbit,

(Just out of curiosity) is that a 'public price' (like those $1 offers posted on WHT)? And how large is minimum commitment in Asia?

Thanked by 1syaman
  • Yes it's public @klikli.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited June 2012

@klikli said: the best possible VPS in Asia is SL Singapore

I think I mentioned this before, their bandwidth is not local (SG), and definitely I won't say it's the best.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2012

@William said: So, what would you pick for now?

Hongkong or Singapore?

Need to decide soon.....

How about both? :D

If you have to pick one, there's a number of LEBs in Singapore (e.g. http://www.lowendbox.com/blog/expertvm-6-99-256mb-openvz-vps-in-singapore/ , http://www.oneasiahost.com/ ) but none that I know of in HK.

• @klikli said: (Just out of curiosity) is that a 'public price' (like those $1 offers posted on WHT)? And how large is minimum commitment in Asia?

Yes, Commit is as usual 1Gbit minimum on a 1G port (Burst on 10G port is 10$/Mbit).
    Keep in mind that if you buy HE in Asia you are entirely relieing on experimental technology (100G optics) - so handle with care.

@rm_ said: How about both? :D

Sure, if you pay....

Thanked by 1klikli
  • Sigh, this is why I had the long post written about pricing of bandwidth in Singapore and how I felt it was difficult to push for a LEB service in Singapore. Even now I'm still doing my math and talking to vendors to see whether it can be sustainable in the long run before actually launching.

@William careful with the peering issue in Singapore if you head this way. None of the big 3 are willing peers.

• lol william what is this? and I thought edis is ready to sell us some asia vps- turns out they are still picking a datacenter. there are some ping websites that can help you out

• @vampireJ said: there are some ping websites that can help you out

I think you do not see the problem here, since this advice is useless.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

edis website already says HK by July? So HK then?

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@William - maybe instead of Hong Kong or Singapore something like Hawaii or Guam (I'm looking on the http://www.cablemap.info/ map and pointing the locations)

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

HK is 99% sure since it was promoted and added already.
    It will be done, likely with SunnyVision, but due to maybe issues i will not give my seal for quality of the BW on it.

@gbshouse said: @William - maybe instead of Hong Kong or Singapore something like Hawaii or Guam (I'm looking on the http://www.cablemap.info/ map and pointing the locations)

Guam is even more expensive, Hawaii backhauls everything to the US.

• rds100rds100 Member

@gbshouse the cablemap.info site is nice, unfortunately it doesn't list the land cables. Would be nice to have those too...

@William - what about Philippines?

Thanked by 1jcaleb
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

@gbshouse said: @William - what about Philippines?

+1

• WilliamWilliam Member
    edited June 2012

@gbshouse said: @William - what about Philippines?

800$ (US!!) / Mbit....

Thanked by 1klikli

@William - nice :)

• lbftlbft Member

@gbshouse said: maybe instead of Hong Kong or Singapore something like Hawaii or Guam (I'm looking on the http://www.cablemap.info/ map and pointing the locations)

@William said: Guam is even more expensive, Hawaii backhauls everything to the US.

Even if it was free, almost everyone just jumps straight on the same/another cable anyway without installing any local connectivity.

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran

From OVH in Hong Kong:

Host                                          Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 103.5.15.242                                0.0%    11    0.1   0.1   0.1   0.2   0.0
     2. hkg-1-6k.hkg.asia                           0.0%    10    0.8   0.8   0.6   1.2   0.2
     3. hkg-2-6k.hkg.asia                           0.0%    10    0.7   0.7   0.7   1.1   0.1
     4. sunnyvision2-RGE.hkix.net                   0.0%    10    2.1   1.9   1.7   2.2   0.2
     5. in.core-sw-001.gi.gi1.0.25.sunnyvision.com  0.0%    10    5.4  15.2   3.1  24.4   8.9
     6. sunnyvision.com                             0.0%    10    2.5   4.5   2.3  14.7   4.1

100%[================================================>] 102,400,000 9.42M/s   in 11s     

2012-07-04 16:33:49 (8.74 MB/s) - “/dev/null” saved [102400000/102400000]