Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mysql backup - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

mysql backup

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Does MySQL still ship the mysqlhotcopy script with its distro? You could use that for faster backup. If memory serves, it goes through each table doing a lock/flush/copy/unlock cycle.

It's only for MyISAM. You may ask yourself "but how does that handle cross-table dependencies"? The answer...it doesn't, because MyISAM ignores foreign keys anyway.

Ah, MySQL...

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

use Percona XtraBackup (http://www.percona.com/software/percona-xtrabackup/) for hotcopy

• FRCoreyFRCorey Member

You would think the lack of innovation in MySQL over the years would of caused a shift towards something a little more resilient. Some of the biggest companies have used it, so yes it does scale, but it can require a lot of work such as setting up replication so you have a backup server.

• You can use mysql replication, that would keep both databases in sync in realtime.

PM me with your email address and I can send you some documentation on setting up a replicating MySQL configuration.

• taiprestaipres Member

@FRCorey said: You would think the lack of innovation in MySQL over the years would of caused a shift towards something a little more resilient. Some of the biggest companies have used it, so yes it does scale, but it can require a lot of work such as setting up replication so you have a backup server.

Sadly I think now that Oracle owns it, MySQL won't ever become as awesome as it could have.

• Oracle may not innovate MySQL that much, but they have increased the speed of MySQL Clustering in the latest release by a factor or 70, by fixing many outstanding bugs and a little refactoring. Not Bad!!
    Still not many of us guys use a cluster with our VPSs