Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BlueVM Illinois server hacked, data lost - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BlueVM Illinois server hacked, data lost

2»

Comments

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@BlueVM said: So you spend $1395.00 a month to backup just 1,000 clients or 37% of your income without paying for any S3 bandwidth? It's great your so dedicated :)

Bandwidth to backup to S3 is free. If you have to do a restore, you pay, but inbound bandwidth is free.

I hope @FRCorey is using versioned backups with two-factor authentication for deletes, otherwise an intruder will merrily nuke his S3 backups, too.

• @raindog308 said: two-factor authentication for deletes, otherwise an intruder will merrily nuke his S3 backups

Is that even possible with S3?

• SpencerSpencer Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Is that even possible with S3?

Yea it is what I use. You can either get a dongle that has numbers that change every min or you can set it up for google authenticator. I use the dongle and it is wonderful.

• Can you give me a link about this? A quick Google search showed nothing :(

• SpencerSpencer Member

@gsrdgrdghd said: Can you give me a link about this? A quick Google search showed nothing :(

http://aws.amazon.com/mfa/

Thanked by 1gsrdgrdghd
  • FRCoreyFRCorey Member

@gsrdgrdghd yes it's possible. Use FTP and a custom client and disabling the delete function, script on the interface handles removing old content after backups are complete.

Of note those who want to use S3 for backups, virtualmin free version just added this feature finally. I've been hollering at cPanel to support this feature, but maybe r1soft pays them off to not do that. Hence FTP backups which work with SolusVM as well.

I could setup a local system with unlimited 1gbps inbound bandwidth, but it's not 2 dollars a month, and second I don't have to worry about upgrading it all the time. Better to spend money on more servers and use Amazon for the storage. If it costs less than a penny per client why not.

Also reason why Amazon makes it cheap for inbound is they use that to balance out their peering ratios more than likely. I know several providers who do this to help their ratios.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

@ErawanArifNugroho i can update/upgrade on my bluevm 512mb ovz. debian 6 32bit template.

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

If your using Debian 5.0 you might have a problem with updating until you change the repo... (something we should do for the template).

• This very sad news. Anyway, Goodluck

• @jcaleb said: @ErawanArifNugroho i can update/upgrade on my bluevm 512mb ovz. debian 6 32bit template.

Yes, for the Debian6 it works :).
    But I did not know much with the Debian6 yet

• @BlueVM said: your using Debian 5.0 you might have a problem with updating until you change the repo...

Lenny repos are a dying breed. Here's one that works great from California, and good for everywhere else in the US:

deb http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-archive/debian lenny main non-free contrib
    deb-src http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-archive/debian lenny main non-free contrib
    deb http://mirrors.xmission.com/debian-archive/debian-backports lenny-backports main contrib non-free

• BlueVMBlueVM Member

We may want to put up our own repo just to keep it alive for those who prefer 5.

• ChronicChronic Member

I wasn't on the affected node, but since BlueVM turned off all the other nodes as well, my VPS was down for about 6 hours as well. Mildly annoying, but I guess it was necessary. I wonder if they offer compensation to their other clients as well.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider

@Chronic said: I wasn't on the affected node, but since BlueVM turned off all the other nodes as well, my VPS was down for about 6 hours as well. Mildly annoying, but I guess it was necessary. I wonder if they offer compensation to their other clients as well.

I have a VPS in Illinois (another node, I suppose), and it never went down during this incident.