Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the difference between these SSL brands?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the difference between these SSL brands?

khavkhav Member
edited April 2014 in General

While googling i found that there are many ssl brands and i wonder what the pros/cons of each

So far i have seen

PositiveSSL

RapidSSL

Thawte SSL

GlobalSign SSL

Comments

• wychwych Member

The job of the SSL certificate authority(CA)/provider is to validate your organizational identity so that when customers access your web site, they not only get the padlock for security, but they know that your identity as the fully qualified hostname are authentic and not some phishing scam.

>

True, most all users look no further than the padlock indicating secure connection to their bank web site, email, etc. However, if any CA were to become compromised, all browsers who trust that CA would be vulnerable, because an attacker could forge a certificate for any domain, including yours. Your choice of certificate provider has no bearing on this. I have yet to hear about this actually happening. MITM attacks are a big deal now with wireless hotspots becoming more and more prevalent.

>

One more thing is browser compatibility. You would expect that your newly purchased cert be compatible with every modern browser. This is because they are all loaded with a list of root CA certs that trust a select list of SSL certificate authorities. If you buy from a CA that is not on that list, all your client browsers will get a security warning that the site's cert is not trusted. Just doublecheck that RapidSSL, Geotrust, or whoever you go with is in the list of all the browsers you care about. (e.g. for Firefox, it's at Tools/Options/Advanced/Encryption/View Certificates/Authorities tab)

>

In the end, just get the cheapest one that gives you the level of encryption you want. It'll get the job done. Check with your web host provider. They may have discounts.

Source

Thanked by 1khav
  • khavkhav Member

@wych
    Thanks for clarification

• insurance?

• It's similar to the difference between Nike, Reebok and Adidas.

• DylanDylan Member

For all intents and purposes, one word: price.

• @rds100 said:
    It's similar to the difference between Nike, Reebok and Adidas.

Well explained. :)

• those are fine, don't go with no-name ssl, you may run into compatibility problem, some support more browsers than others