Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what is the difference between webmin and virtualmin
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

what is the difference between webmin and virtualmin

i confused that all the way

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited April 2014

I may be wrong, but I believe it involved spiders and the lawn mower
    Man, but I'm not exactly sure how.

But seriously, it's for managing virtual hosts as you would with cPanel.

http://www.webmin.com/virtualmin.html

• NoermanNoerman Member
    edited April 2014

Virtualmin is more likely cPanel for Webmin, where you can manage all in a panel. Webmin is core without specific user-friendly panel.

What is Webmin?

Webmin is a web-based interface for system administration for Unix. Using any modern web browser, you can setup user accounts, Apache, DNS, file sharing and much more. Webmin removes the need to manually edit Unix configuration files like /etc/passwd, and lets you manage a system from the console or remotely. See the standard modules page for a list of all the functions built into Webmin, or check out the screenshots.

What is Virtualmin?

It is a Webmin module for managing multiple virtual hosts through a single interface, like Plesk or Cpanel. It supports the creation and management of Apache virtual hosts, BIND DNS domains, MySQL databases, and mailboxes and aliases with Sendmail or Postfix. It makes use of the existing Webmin modules for these servers, and so should work with any existing system configuration, rather than needing it's own mail server, web server and so on.
    Virtualmin can also create a Webmin user for each virtual server, who is restricted to managing just his domain and its files. Webmin's existing module access control features are used, and are set up automatically to limit the user appropriately. These server administrators can also manage the mailboxes and mail aliases in their domain, via a web interface that is part of the module.

Thanked by 1wlcy001
  • thank you