Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone in the UK paid for OVH by debit card?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone in the UK paid for OVH by debit card?

Did you get hit with a foreign currency fee by your bank or do they charge you in £?

Comments

• wychwych Member

Charged in GBP so no fee.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Yeah, GBP.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Shoaib_AShoaib_A Member
    edited April 2014

If you buy from ovh.co.uk then you are a customer of OVH Limited UK which is a registered entity with a bank account in UK, so you would be charged in GBP.

Thanked by 1hostnoob
  • Great, thanks guys

• For future reference, it is possible to get hit with a foreign transaction fee even if you're billed in your native currency if the payment is processed outside of your country. For example, had OVH processed the payment in GBP, but in France, you would have been hit with a foreign transaction fee. Also, be careful of fees built into the exchange rate- this is done quite often (meaning that you get a poor exchange rate) and you assume there is no fee. While the majority of companies will not give you the exact current exchange rate, you should try to get a decent rate. For example, PayPal has a 2.5% currency conversion fee that is built into their exchange rate. A way to minimize the loss is by using a credit card that has no foreign transaction fee (if you have one).

• @user123 this is why people should use paypal indeed. my bank charges £1.50 + a conversion fee. don't matter if its 2 cent or 200 dollars.

• @TarZZ92 said:
    user123 this is why people should use paypal indeed. my bank charges £1.50 + a conversion fee. don't matter if its 2 cent or 200 dollars.

If that's the case, you might benefit from using PayPal (though, some USD PayPal payments I have made have triggered foreign transaction flags, strangely enough). Otherwise, you can save that amount if you have a credit card that has no foreign transaction fee and the seller charges you in either in the foreign currency or in your native currency without any currency conversion on their part.

• hostnoobhostnoob Member
    edited April 2014

@user123 said:
    For future reference, it is possible to get hit with a foreign transaction fee even if you're billed in your native currency if the payment is processed outside of your country. For example, had OVH processed the payment in GBP, but in France, you would have been hit with a foreign transaction fee. Also, be careful of fees built into the exchange rate- this is done quite often (meaning that you get a poor exchange rate) and you assume there is no fee. While the majority of companies will not give you the exact current exchange rate, you should try to get a decent rate. For example, PayPal has a 2.5% currency conversion fee that is built into their exchange rate. A way to minimize the loss is by using a credit card that has no foreign transaction fee (if you have one).

This is why I asked, because they're a French company.

I recently got hit by name.com with a £1.50 fee + 5% of the purchase cost on top of the domain.

I would have paid by PayPal as I always do but it wouldn't work on their site. Happened with SunnyUsenet too, €2,79/mo and I ended up paying almost €3 on top of that in fees.

• Yes, their separate domains are run essentially like different companies. I have 5 dedi's but one was registered via ovh.com and had asked about merging them under the one customerid, apparently it isn't possible.

• wychwych Member

@TarZZ92 said:
    user123 this is why people should use paypal indeed. my bank charges £1.50 + a conversion fee. don't matter if its 2 cent or 200 dollars.

You normally have to pay a fee to Pay with PayPal on some of their packages/servers.

• I never had a problem a few years ago (2, maybe 3) on a debit in the UK. At first I was with kimsufi UK but eventually ordered through kimsufi fr for unmetered bandwidth. Don't recall any extra charges and I had the box for about a year.

• wych said: You normally have to pay a fee to Pay with PayPal on some of their packages/servers.

much much less than bank fee though