Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

simple exim4 config
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

simple exim4 config

dirkdirk Member
edited September 2011 in General

Hi,

on my webserver I have a webform that sends mail to a fixed user.
I also have exim4 installed on the system.
Can anybody share a simple config file for Exim4 that only allows mails from this form (localhost?) and send via a remote server (dnslookup for the mx record seems best).

thanks

Comments

• On debian/ubuntu you just do

# dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config

and then basically just follow the prompt to configure a Internet site. By default Exim4 would only listen on 127.0.0.1 so no need to firewall it. Also remember to edit your /etc/aliases so your root mails get forwarded to you.

• Thanks for that last bit. Was just going to ask how to do that.

• And how can I force the fowarding?

Tried to set it as Internet site, but mails (from the form) are not forwarded to the actual MX server

• @dirk -- sorry what do you mean by forwarding? If you mean by sending outbound emails then I think setting it to Internet Site would be enough. For example, from the command line:

$ echo -e "From: [email protected]\nTo: [email protected]\n\nHello" \
        /usr/lib/sendmail [email protected]

Replace the email address above to the actual addresses. Check /var/log/exim4/mainlog on what action has exim4 actually performed.

• kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

I guess he does want exim to use a remote smtp-server to send mails. @dirk, does that help?

• Wouldn't that just be "mail sent by smarthost; no local mail" when you do dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config ?

Thanked by 1dirk
  • kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

Maybe, I must says I never used exim and therefore never used a remote smtp-server with it.

• dirkdirk Member
    edited September 2011

With the "mail send by smarthost, no local mail" option, and using the "echo ..." example given by LowEndAdmin, I get in the logfile

2011-09-19 08:17:01 Start queue run: pid=11027
    2011-09-19 08:17:01 1R4snp-0007B5-Qd Message is frozen
    2011-09-19 08:17:01 End queue run: pid=11027

• And what errors do you get by using the tutorial?

• @kylix: at first I didn't see the link in your message.
    Now that I saw it....the "problem" is that the 1st file they point to /etc/mail/exim.conf isn't even on the system...

• @dirk: Using the "mail sent by smarthost; no local mail" configuration option for exim should be enough for setting up exim to forward all mail.

What error messages did you get in /var/log/exim4/mainlog when you sent the mail?

If you can't find the error message you should be able to do exim4 -v -M 1R4snp-0007B5-Qd to get exim to try to deliver the mail again.

Thanked by 1dirk
  • kylixkylix Member
    edited September 2011

@dirk: Huh, your exim is without an exim.conf. Are you sure?

• @kylix: seems like it :-)
    @Leo: looking some more at the logfile I was able to find the problem :-) There were a bunch of those "frozen" messages in the logfile, but also a 550 error. The system was expecting authentication, because I was sending to a none-existing local mailbox. Creating the mailbox on that remote SMTP server (the MX for the domain) and all worked fine...
    Thanks to all for the help!

• @kylix: On Debian is the exim.conf in /etc/exim4/. If you have selected to split the config file in dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config is exim.conf a directory.

• On my system: there is under /etc/exim4 no file called exim.conf and no directory with that name either.
    There is however a directory called config.d and in that directory several sub dirs (alc, auth, main, retry, rewrite, router and transport).

• LeoLeo Member
    edited September 2011

dirk said: There is however a directory called config.d

My bad, remembered wrong directory name . The content of exim.conf is spread in subdirs under the conf.d directory when you choose to split the config.

Thanked by 1dirk